I would like to join with a A6M3 Zero.

Greg Law

I need something easy to do right now, so I thought I would do an Tamiya A6M3 Zero. 1/48 Scale. This will be out of the box with only PE seat belts. 

I thought I had started it , but it seems I haven't. I will have a go at doing a Solomons scheme with the green sprayed patches over it. I did an RC plane 

Like that. This should be the only challenge for this kit.

Edited by Greg Law
  • Like 2

Good to see you here Greg and looking forward to seeing this Zero come together. We need a few more ‘locals’ to get behind what is really our ‘Home Front’ GB. 

Cheers... Dave 

Fwiw, The Solomons were central to RNZAF operations in the Pacific & imho should fit admirably with the themes for this GB as I've just swotted up in the GB rules thread. I'd be in boots & all if my home circumstances weren't so dire just now, the logistics of me modelling just now are less than propitious. :(

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That is good I'm set then. I mainly wanted to do the Zero because after all my troubles lately I needed something simple to do.no it is the problem do I do a green cockpit or metallic blue?i want to do a the green myself, but the instructions say metallic blue.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greg Law said:

That is good I'm set then. I mainly wanted to do the Zero because after all my troubles lately I needed something simple to do.no it is the problem do I do a green cockpit or metallic blue?i want to do a the green myself, but the instructions say metallic blue.

Hi Greg,

I would suggest having a read through the attached Link.

IJN Colours

Nick Millman is the man for the Japanese colours, He is a member here on BM,

but he;s been somewhat busy and occupied of late.

Essentially in a nut shell, a Grey Green Colour for cockpit

Aotake (Blue Green) is more like a primer

Hope that helps you?

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Thanks for your help. This is my old RC Zero. Ignore the Japanese writing. It was just something I saw on a photo of a A6M5 That I though looked cool. I never flew this plane. I decided I like the painting part more than the flying, so I went back and finished my Stuka which I put up the other day. I don't seem to have kept my photos of Gloria. I cleaned out the work computer awhile ago to get space and they must have gone then. Pity. 

RC Zero 2

RC Zero1

Edited by Greg Law
  • Like 8

wow that's a great paint job, I can see why you probably didn't want to fly her, one crash and all that lovely work!!!

Interior colours for Japanese aircraft...there's another can of worms!! Every manufacturer had their standards which sometimes varied....sort of like the interior colour issues with US WWII aircraft, Luftwaffe colours, and the list goes on. You're going to have to do a wee bit of research, but don't get too hung up on it.

This is my 1400mm  T28 in what I called my Mad Max scheme. I would really like to make this in

I/48 if I could find some where to get the decals made. 

Now back to the Zero's

T28

Edited by Greg Law
  • Like 4

Well I was doing well last night. I have the cockpit built and tail surfaces separated so I can position them. This plastic is so much easier to scribe than the Blenheim. 

Now I'm on hold. I have ordered the paints Rich suggested in the Betty post. Once they arrive I'm underway again.

update: Paints are on the way.

the Airbrush Megastore is really good to deal with. I'm thinking ISOPOL thinner should work. 

I have got all the paints to do the plane from them. 

Edited by Greg Law
  • Like 3

Well progress today on the first A6M3 Zero. I have completed the cockpit. I just have to wait for the seat belts to arrive before I show it and progress further. This is my practise Zero.

It will give me ideas for the main one as I go along. 

• Like 2

Well here is my first work in progress of the cockpit. This is a terrible image. The cockpit looks way better than shown in reality. I just can't seem to get good photos.

I will try again in day light. 

This is the cheap zero kit with some PE that was for the Hasegawa kit. I have also scratch made some parts. I'm going for a worn look. However, it isn't

as worn as it looks in the photo. It also needs a lot of touch up. 

cockpit1

Edited by Greg Law
  • Like 7

it's doesn't the bad at all!! Once in the fuselage it'll be fine. :thumbsup:

Cockpits always are hard to get to look right for photos, you spend ages on the cockpit and think it looks great, you take photos and enlarge and they suddenly it's looks bad in the photo's. 

I think you've done some nice work there, maybe a wee bit of dust/pigment to give it a used look? But most of it will be hidden by the small cockpit opening and canopy if you're leaving it closed.