"This is no moon" II (Bandai)

Hi!

When it came out, I knew how I would paint and detail it

This kit is not as easy to build as the other small SW kits. It's well conceived alright, but you do have to paint some time painting the inside first. I used a very dark grey with dry brushes of lighter and lighter shades of grey, to finish with an almost white at the most exposed edges.

IMG_3063.jpg
IMG_3064.jpg

The level of details is once again top notch, but I want to detail it even more with the addition of thin flattened copper wires to simulate the framework still very much visible. I've put some on the kit just to see what it would look like.

However, I need to paint the outside first as otherwise I would most likely destroy all the work done with the numerous handlings of the kit.

IMG_3064_002.jpg

See you moon, uhh, soon.
Ciao
Iwik

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Hi!

There it is Pierre. Or part of it anyway...

I've painted the different panels with different shades of grey.... (joke anyone?). Then I used the base color to correct all the paint which had overflowed.

IMG_3047.jpg
IMG_3048.jpg

Then I added vertical and horizontal lines with grey (almost white) and greyish blue paint. Here only the "northern" hemisphere has been treated.:
IMG_3049.jpg

On with the southern one! That's a reeeaaaallly boring job though...

Then I will try to represent the shadow cast by the sun on the DS, first on the dish, this way, if I'm not satified with the result, I won't have everything to paint again...

Ciao
IWik

• Like 2

Hi!

I'm done with the southern hemisphere... at last..;

I've simulated the sun's shadow on the DS, but I've failed to match the pattern with the shadow inside the "crater", so I guess I'll have to do it again...bummer...

I've also represented some lighted windows by adding tiny dots of white paint in the dark side, mostly around the equator...

IMG_3050.jpg

Then I started representing the strutural skeleton with very fine railing. Unfortunately, one cannot use pieces less than two blade thick otherwise everything comes apart. But I believe it will do the trick nicely...

IMG_3052.jpg

Ciao
Iwik

• Like 5

love the shadow - I saw the kit on a shelf in New York last month but this is the first I have seen what the box contents look like. Its bound to be a popular choice in the range from Bandai

"That's no Moon, it's a Space Station"

Hi y'all!

Here it is finished at last...well, until I realized I'd forgotten to put a black wash into the main trench... I also wanted to take a picture with an object for scale effect, so that will be for the "finished section" I guess.

Hope you like the result!

IMG_3047.jpg

IMG_3048.jpg

IMG_3049.jpg

IMG_3050_1.jpg

IMG_3051_1.jpg

I've redone the shoadow int the dish. I like it better that way.

Ciao
Iwik

• Like 4

Hi y'all!

Here it is finished at last, after a black wash in the main trench.

Another fine addition to my SW Bandai kits, but by far the most time consuming one!

See you soon!

IMG_3048_1.jpg

IMG_3050.jpg

IMG_3051.jpg

IMG_3052.jpg

Ciao
Iwik

• Like 10