Johnnie Johansson's MK392 with D-day markings...

Andre B

Goday!

During painting Wing Comander Johnnie Johnson's Spitfire MK392 with D-day markings I became a little confused by where the yellow leading edge id-stripes started.

I've seen pictures (not of MK392) where the yellow stripes where overpainted by the outboard D-day bands. But in this case the painting instructions tells that the outboard white D-day bands didn't cover the yellow stripes.

http://s164.photobucket.com/user/ChairmanRed/media/Instructions/Spitfire IXc A02065/SpitfireIXcA02065_0009.jpg.html

What is correct?

Was there a painting regulation concerning where the yellow stripes started inboard and out on a, b and c wings on Spitfire's?

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

That is not how MK392 looked. It is EN398 with the serial number changed and black and white stripes. On MK392 the code letters had serifs and the bottoms of the Js werer flat not rouneded. There were no other markings, e.g., no maple leaf.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 303sqn said:

That is not how MK392 looked. It is EN398 with the serial number changed and black and white stripes. On MK392 the code letters had serifs and the bottoms of the Js werer flat not rouneded. There were no other markings, e.g., no maple leaf.

Oh...

Is there anything that is correct concerned mentioned painting instructions / profiles from Airfix?

It seems that the wrongs and faults concerning the Airfix 1/72 Mk. IXb kit is an never ending story...

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
Spelling as I am from Sweden...

18 minutes ago, 303sqn said:

Thanks,

I like the information concerning George Beurlings aircraft. Now I have to get an accurate Spitfire Mk.Vc to build it.

And probably another 1/72  Spitfire Mk.IXe (eduard?) to build an accurate MK392. But concerning the painting instructions... ...I have a memory of that the black spinner was repainted in sky and it did get an sky tailband. Is that wrong?

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

There are three photos of MK392. One taken in the summer of 1944 (badly damaged) that shows it with Sky spinner and fuselage band and partial black & white stripes. The one on the decal instruction sheet was taken in winter early 1945 and has the Sky band and spinner overpainted. The third was also taken in winter 1945 inside a hanger undergoing maintenance. It has the same appearance as the second photo shows areas of the camouflage that have been overpainted. IIRC the serial number was overpainted.

12 minutes ago, 303sqn said:

There are three photos of MK392. One taken in the summer of 1944 (badly damaged) that shows it with Sky spinner and fuselage band and partial black & white stripes. The one on the decal instruction sheet was taken in winter early 1945 and has the Sky band and spinner overpainted. The third was also taken in winter 1945 inside a hanger undergoing maintenance. It has the same appearance as the second photo shows areas of the camouflage that have been overpainted. IIRC the serial number was overpainted.

So how correct are these profiles?

http://www.redbanner.co.uk/Profiles/ByType/Spitfire/index.html

Cheers / André