New 1/48 Tamiya Spitfire Mk.I?

k5054nz

2 hours ago, AlCZ said:

No riveting, is bare as stripter a.s.... By Tamiya are salats.... Look as brand new Tempest kit why may look new kit surface in 2018. Czechs can make ultra realistic look and best model kits company on the world not. Ed's Tempest have over surface rivets & under surface rivets. I don' t understand why Tamiya released this overpriced kit with obsolete surface... I wait a years for 1/32 early Spit from Tamiya ant Tam. released booring 1/48:kit...  😕

That's because there's two thoughts here's - some people love their models covered in 'rivet' holes and some people don't. Considering how flush rivets are not that visible on a Spitfire, putting 'rivet' holes all over it doesn't make it more realistic.

Though it is nice to have raised rivets in the correct location but Eduard didn't do this with their Spitfire.

A lot of aircraft skins are fairly smooth and plain - some people like to make models that are realistic and others like to over accentuate things to make a more 'interesting' model. I think there is enough room for both in this hobby.

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, AlCZ said:

No riveting, is bare as stripter a.s.... By Tamiya are salats.... Look as brand new Tempest kit why may look new kit surface in 2018. Czechs can make ultra realistic look and best model kits company on the world not. Ed's Tempest have over surface rivets & under surface rivets. I don' t understand why Tamiya released this overpriced kit with obsolete surface... I wait a years for 1/32 early Spit from Tamiya ant Tam. released booring 1/48:kit...  😕

AICZ

Please, stop moaning. Of you don't like it just don't buy it. 

I AM happy that there's no riveting as the holes on the Eduard's models are not rivets, just holes. More, if you cut models into zyllions of parts, there's high possibility that you will destroy them during assembly. 

Eduard's Tempest has wrong spinners (but they will release resin ones), and heard/read it has incorrect wheels (brassin ones are approaching).  

Tamiya's kits are not overpriced. The price is so high because of taxes and duty fees. If you look at prices of Eduard's models in Japan, the situation is the same. Ed models are also more expensive in Nihon than in Czechia. 

Let's wait for Ed's Spitfire and then compare/criticise. 

• Like 4

I am not a fan of ' rivet ' holes either, especially when they appear on what should be a smooth surface. I hasten to add that I am a fan of Eduards Spitfires but t my approach to their riveting is to give everything a coat of primer then rub it down so that only faint impressions of the rivets remains.

• Like 1

Perhaps it's a marketing ploy by Eduard, we'll put a few purpose made mistakes in the kits then correct them with a Brassin upgrade, it's a win win for Eduard sales wise 😉

Lets face it they must have known about the mistakes, what I object to is paying for a Brassin part that should be included in the kit in the first place if they know it's wrong.

Especially considering the price of Eduard Brassin

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Ed's Tempest isn't in shops now... and i don't think he have wrong spinners and wheels. I saw first photos of build kit on their FB and looks damm good ! 

Tamiya have stabile prices - but old tool spit cost in CZ around 15£ and new tool is around 30£. Airfix Spit cost 20£. And have useable decals from Cartograph; weapons and part from pre-war config. Ed's PP Spit was for 25£. Tamiya's new tool Spit is now most expensive Spit on market in 1/48. (For example - Tamiya's 1/48 Mossie cost 24£...). And i don't understand why. It' s 2x expensive as old tool Spit. Gustav have changeable open engine/closed hood instalation, but Mk.I haven't Merlin... When was new tool price the same as old tool i don't say nothing. Hmm. I wait for Sale and bought new "Blennu" from "Fix". Simple - New Mk.I from T. is priced too high for "another quarter scale Spit".

I’m afraid your Ed Tempest spinner is quite inaccurate, you can drive a truck through those prop blade slots! Unless I see the wheels built up I won’t comment, however threre are two types of wheels for both early and late production Tempests (Series 1 and 2) so perhaps others have misinterpreted this. That spinner needs correcting, however it’s not a show stopper by any stretch. 

Cheers. Dave 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, AlCZ said:

Ed's Tempest isn't in shops now... and i don't think he have wrong spinners and wheels. I saw first photos of build kit on their FB and looks damm good ! 

Tamiya have stabile prices - but old tool spit cost in CZ around 15£ and new tool is around 30£. Airfix Spit cost 20£. And have useable decals from Cartograph; weapons and part from pre-war config. Ed's PP Spit was for 25£. Tamiya's new tool Spit is now most expensive Spit on market in 1/48. (For example - Tamiya's 1/48 Mossie cost 24£...). And i don't understand why. It' s 2x expensive as old tool Spit. Gustav have changeable open engine/closed hood instalation, but Mk.I haven't Merlin... When was new tool price the same as old tool i don't say nothing. Hmm. I wait for Sale and bought new "Blennu" from "Fix". Simple - New Mk.I from T. is priced too high for "another quarter scale Spit".

Incorrect spinner - 

The cost of newer kits is simple - a kit tooled now days first of all costs more than a kit tooled in 90's, I'm sure we are all getting paid more than we did back then, well strangely enough people in the model industry also want to get paid more than they did in the 90's as well! Then there is increased shipping costs now days due to the price of fuel etc. Then the exchange rate isn't what it used to be either.

Saying that the Airfix Spitfire is that much cheaper is a poor point as the quality of the Tamiya tooling is much better than Airfix.

Tamiya was never 'cheap'! They have normally produced top  quality at top prices. Remember the old adage: You get what you pay for.

And then to the seniors among us who remember the prices racing to the top back in the mid 1970s after the first oil crisis! 

Now I just sit down and wait for the Tamiya Spitfire to arrive and to see how much better it is than the Airfix one -- if it is at all better.

12 hours ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

But it's still a damn fine MkI Spit, wouldn't you say? And if Eduard get around to doing one, we can compare and contrast. Can't wait!

I can! But is still waiting for Eduard to produce a PR Mk.XI! No more early Merlin Spitfires, please (although Tamiya will no doubt come out with a Mk.Vb next year). 

• Like 1

Standard (or classic) Tamiya kit are simple; with very quality engineering and relative cheap. Only "pain" are typics japanese fat decals. But Mustangs, Mossies, Uhu, Skyraiders, Corsairs,Wildcat or Spitfires are still good choice for "pocket money" and "shake n' bak" build. I was happy when i bought after five years a F-117 from Tamiya. It is a 20 years old kit, but best Nighthawk around... and i like a typic Tamiya "parfum"...

So... i very dissapointed a Tamiya probably resigned for it' s gorgeous 1/32 scale kits...

@AICZ

Remember that Eduard's models are also getting more expensive - in Czechia it isn't probably visible but outside your country it is. I remember buying Hellcat dual combo in 48th cost the same as, currently, Spitfire Mk. IX. 

And one more thing I don't like about Eduard's models (but it is only my opinion and others may like it very much) - they are over engineered making building Ed's models tricky to build. 

When you buy Tamiya's models you pay for quality of parts (less decals 😉 ) and incredible design which makes their models easy to build. 

And probably we will see some new models in 32nd from Tamiya, although their prices are veeeery high. 

@NPL We DO need more early Merlin Spitfires and late Merlin too. Howgh 😉

You can't put the full blame on Tamiya for the price difference between their old and new tool Spitfire I ... check out overseas costs.   It makes sense that shopping closer to the source of origin of kit manufacturers should have better prices, like LuckyModel for example:

e617256a-0d68-4f4b-b366-18adcd86aa83.png

regards,

Jack

1. The thread is about the Tamiya Spitfire not Eduard and not the Eduard Tempest.

2. Comparing the old Tamiya Mk1 Spit and the new one on price

point is a bit fatuous. The new kit contains PE, Masks and Vinyl details. Which add cost. The old kit has none of that. Plus your at the mercy of foreign XR and what margin the local distributor adds to the base kit price. New desirable stuff is generally always at a price premium.

A quick look around online and the base kit price is not that bad. Or give it a month or two. The price always settles out. Buying a brand new kit releases just prior to Christmas means price will be at a premium.

Finall arguing about rivet surface detail is really an argument about modeling style and taste not much more. Ultimately we’re getting what we’re getting. Exercising your typing skills is not going to change that...

• Like 2

Big scale Tamiya's have riveting. I probably bought Tamiya's n.t. Spit too, looks good(but yes i prefer a rivets, but this is my problem)buying an AM decals for Czech Airman's... I must wait for sale... For me is Mk.I relative boring subject, green-brown camo, only one user (when you ignored one - and last delivered Mk.I to France on begin of French campaign). But few parts on Mk.I suggest a Mk.V is next... Unfortunatelly we know our Tamiya... Released a one box from type/version - and this is all... No Mk.Vc (probably) etc... I 20 years waiting for twin seated Me-262 and Falcon/Viper/Sufa... or  tank Mk.IV without electric engine.... Bf-109Ghaven't early/late style gun breech, haven' t  early/late fin/rudder... and Erla/Galland haube... But in big scale kit's are parts for all config of Mustang or Mk.IX... i don' t understand why this difference ignored in quarter scale ? As early cockpit cover (flat top), twin blade prop etc... another early Merlin powered Spit (without Cannons armanent) Tam. probably never release, so why ignored this details on their quarter scale new tool kits ?

4 hours ago, AlCZ said:

But few parts on Mk.I suggest a Mk.V is next... Unfortunatelly we know our Tamiya... Released a one box from type/version - and this is all... No Mk.Vc (probably) etc... I 20 years waiting for twin seated Me-262 and Falcon/Viper/Sufa... or  tank Mk.IV without electric engine.... Bf-109Ghaven't early/late style gun breech, haven' t  early/late fin/rudder... and Erla/Galland haube... But in big scale kit's are parts for all config of Mustang or Mk.IX... i don' t understand why this difference ignored in quarter scale ? As early cockpit cover (flat top), twin blade prop etc... another early Merlin powered Spit (without Cannons armanent) Tam. probably never release, so why ignored this details on their quarter scale new tool kits ?

Your comments and questions would be far better put to Tamiya than asked on some forum that would likely never get filtered back to Tamiya.

In the end, it's quite simple. Don't like it? Don't buy it! If enough people vote with their wallet, Tamiya (and everyone else) will stop making whatever it is that we don't buy.

Simples!

Now go and build some models, you crazy kids!

• Haha 2

On 11/24/2018 at 5:37 AM, DominikS said:

And one more thing I don't like about Eduard's models (but it is only my opinion and others may like it very much) - they are over engineered making building Ed's models tricky to build. 

Eduard has made their more recent offering Easy Builds. The new tool Fw-190A family is very much simplified from the previous molds. I think they started this new approach with the Spitfire kits. No engine, no open gun bays - all these options are offered in the Brassin Line.

I've already built two of the Bf-109s, which are in the painting stages, and they were assembled in just two days and were fun to assemble.  I like to let the glue dry :hourglass:. Also have two Fw-190A3/4s primed and waiting for RLM 76. Again very fun builds.

I'm looking forward to getting a Tamiya Spit Mk. I. Looks like a very nice kit. Later I'll build Eduard's Mk. I when it's on offer cuz I like the rivets. :bangin:

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/24/2018 at 9:15 AM, colin said:

Perhaps it's a marketing ploy by Eduard, we'll put a few purpose made mistakes in the kits then correct them with a Brassin upgrade, it's a win win for Eduard sales wise 😉

Lets face it they must have known about the mistakes, what I object to is paying for a Brassin part that should be included in the kit in the first place if they know it's wrong.

Probably true. However, anybody that has used their Brassin one piece cowl for their spitfires, know that they are too long and don't fit. 

Sure, after some trimming you can get them to fit, but you lose some detail in the process, which kinda defeats the purpose! 

Edited by IanF
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/24/2018 at 10:15 AM, colin said:

They are smart at Eduard! It normally works, when they issue correction items. One mistake seems to be the engiv´ne cover to their Spits -- according to some here, half a milimeter too long. Then of course they made the gross mistake with their original Vf 109G, where they had to make a new model. Otherwise, they are innovative and do great things. But if we look at what they produce of their own kits, they are pretty conservative and play for the safest objects.

On 11/26/2018 at 11:36 AM, Masinissa said:

Eduard has made their more recent offering Easy Builds. The new tool Fw-190A family is very much simplified from the previous molds. I think they started this new approach with the Spitfire kits. No engine, no open gun bays - all these options are offered in the Brassin Line.

I've already built two of the Bf-109s, which are in the painting stages, and they were assembled in just two days and were fun to assemble.  I like to let the glue dry :hourglass:. Also have two Fw-190A3/4s primed and waiting for RLM 76. Again very fun builds.

I'm looking forward to getting a Tamiya Spit Mk. I. Looks like a very nice kit. Later I'll build Eduard's Mk. I when it's on offer cuz I like the rivets. :bangin:

What Mk.I?

1 hour ago, NPL said:

What Mk.I?

I can answer myself: According to their Info for Feb 2019, they work on the early Merlins, seemingly starting with the Mk.I. Then Mr. "Eduard" add that they are corking on a complete line of dayfighter Spitfires. That should be welcome news if it also includes the  Mks. XII, XIV, XVIII and F.22 + 24 (and maybe the F.21)! But also the usual way he is teasing us, as Mr. Homebie's list of Eduard 1919-20-21 has nothing of this.