New 1/48 Tamiya Spitfire Mk.I?

k5054nz

On 11/15/2018 at 1:27 AM, VMA131Marine said:

I didn't realise that there is a shortage of BoB era Spitfire decal sheets. I seem to have a veritable plethora in my decal stash already.

Well, in my collection there is enough for at least a hundred. Xtradecals have plenty, and then there was old Aeroscale Master, some of the finest ever made.  The DW+K was made by Aeromaster 48680. Worth looking for.

• Like 1

In the build scenes where the fuselage halves are still apart, can clearly see Tamiya have returned the crowbar to the inside of the door.  An  'oopsie' moment or plans for later Spitfire mark?

regards,

Jack

Judging from the sprue shots, no provision for wheels up.  I imagine just like their first kit, it will require some tweaking to get the wheels to fit the wells with gear doors closed.

10571228b17.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Homebee said:

If you refer to the Tamiya (JP) homepage the release date is December 22nd, 2018.

Source: https://www.tamiya.com/japan/products/61119/index.html

V.P.

Strictly speaking, they say around Dec 22nd. When I looked at the decals, there seems to be a slight problem with the yellow ring around the blue. Anyone with a real kit who can confirm that this is in order.

From the video here the kit seems fabulous. Then we only have to ask why these omissions: flat canopy not included, two blade propeller not included, and no armoured plate? 

The answer to the omissions is simple.  They decided not to include them. 

Can you build a nice model with what’s in the box? The answer seems to be yes. 

Can you build every variant of a mk1 Spitfire with what’s in the box. The answer is no. 

Maybe the thought process was....

What will the majority of people building a mk1 Spitfire want to build? 

Probably a BoB Spitfire. Let’s give em those parts and save tooling the more esoteric stuff that the AM currently supplies...

For the 2 blade Prop at least the AM currently takes care of that already. 

https://www.victorymodels.com/products/1-48-spitfire-mk-i-prop

There are a lot of 1/48 mk1 Spitfire decals in existence so that’s no issue. 

This I think sorts out any canopy issues..

http://www.falconmodels.co.nz/clearvax/set51.html

The seat armour is relatively easily scratch build. If you really want it. 99.9% of folk  looking at the model will never know it’s not there. The other 0.1% are on model forums..

we we need to celebrate what we have not worry about what we don’t and turn that into an imagined deficiency..

• Like 6

7 hours ago, NPL said:

Then we only have to ask why these omissions: flat canopy not included, two blade propeller

As @Plasto mentions, there is AM

And, these are alternate parts in the new tool Airfix Mk.I,  so for the 0.1 % on the forums,  ask in the wanted section,  as they are in many a spares box.  

Tamiya are Tamiya,  why they do, and frequently don't do something apparently obvious is one of the great mysteries of the model universe.... 

though I've not forgiven them for foisting 1/35th on us

• Haha 1

Tamiya are great Disruptors. 

The also have an unstopable force in the scale model world which is a product of innovation, clever engineering, overall high quality and exceptional distribution and a great marketing strategy.

None if that in its self is mysterious. They choose not to do stuff ‘obvious to modellers’ then again Most modellers aren’t running a multi million dollar highly successful modelling company.. So who’s right????

The new Spitfire will be nice sell well and bring joy to lots of folk. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2018 at 4:24 AM, stalal said:

The A wing might not be clipped at the wingtips but the wingtips can be fitted to a C wing. 

As you can see, the Mk. 1 related wing surfaces and parts are all on one sprue. This means Tamiya has planned other versions too but we cant predict if these versions will ever be released.  

Actually, and I appreciate this is a bit arcane, there were at least some A wings with clipped tips. 

There's reference in 58 OTU's ORB to the station workshops converting some of their Mk1s to clipped tips to give their students the chance to experience their handling characteristics. 

I've never seen any photos, just written references. 

John 

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

As @Plasto mentions, there is AM

And, these are alternate parts in the new tool Airfix Mk.I,  so for the 0.1 % on the forums,  ask in the wanted section,  as they are in many a spares box.  

Tamiya are Tamiya,  why they do, and frequently don't do something apparently obvious is one of the great mysteries of the model universe.... 

though I've not forgiven them for foisting 1/35th on us

Remember, the Japanese have had their problems with the Anglo-Saxon system of measuring. So they invented 1/35 in the hope that we should not realize the difference. They seem to have better calculators now, although we only have to think of Hasegawa's disastrous Spitfire IX 1/48 to understand their problems.

2 hours ago, Plasto said:

For the 2 blade Prop at least the AM currently takes care of that already. 

https://www.victorymodels.com/products/1-48-spitfire-mk-i-prop

There are a lot of 1/48 mk1 Spitfire decals in existence so that’s no issue. 

This I think sorts out any canopy issues..

http://www.falconmodels.co.nz/clearvax/set51.html

The seat armour is relatively easily scratch build. If you really want it. 99.9% of folk  looking at the model will never know it’s not there. The other 0.1% are on model forums..

we we need to celebrate what we have not worry about what we don’t and turn that into an imagined deficiency..

And another $ 11.95 for the propeller. Now we can hope that the Airfix clear parts and their 2 blade propeller go with the Tamiya offering. 

As to the 99.9%, why should they not have the correct options? Otherwise, you could just put on a pair of elliptical wings and call it a Spitfire. The majority would not discover the difference between the countless varieties of Spits. 

1 hour ago, NPL said:

As to the 99.9%, why should they not have the correct options? 

You have to view the world as a whole... it’s easy to view the modelling world through a ‘forum’ lens . 

When I attend model shows with stuff I build or put it on the table at club night. Most of the folk who look at it members of the public and modellers (of all interests) understand what it is (a Spitfire) but few if any have any real deep knowledge of the minor variations of a particular aircraft type. 

All of that deep detail thinking and research and discussion generally In my experience doesnt happen when folk look at models in the flesh. 

Baiscally I hear that’s nice, how long did it take. Do you paint them yourself. Or from modellers which kit. What paint did you use. Was it hard to build.  I generally don’t have conversations on Accuracy.

My conjecture therefore is that a lot of folk building the kit will either not know or care about any ‘part omissions’ ( which is really the seat armour). If they do they will add it in themselves. If they want a flat screen or early Prop they will source it themselves...

The Tamiya kit like a lot of Tamiya kits gives a positive experience to the majority and a good base to those that want to take it further. 

• Like 2

My local area hobby store in Toronto has its front shelves overloaded with new Spitfire. I have checked the contents and although the surface details of their 90s kits wasnt bad, this Tamiya kit is very, very nice. As nice in surface detail and quality of mold as their Bf109G6. 

4 hours ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

I'm not sure whether this is the right place to ask...BUT I will. What do the self adhesive strips represent? It seems they should be stuck on the engine cowling somewhere near the exhausts but only on the 'early' version?

I think they relate to the cover in front of the windscreen, something not on the earliest examples.

No riveting, is bare as stripter a.s.... By Tamiya are salats.... Look as brand new Tempest kit why may look new kit surface in 2018. Czechs can make ultra realistic look and best model kits company on the world not. Ed's Tempest have over surface rivets & under surface rivets. I don' t understand why Tamiya released this overpriced kit with obsolete surface... I wait a years for 1/32 early Spit from Tamiya ant Tam. released booring 1/48:kit...  😕

Edited by AlCZ
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, AlCZ said:

No riveting, is bare as stripter a.s.... By Tamiya are salats.... Look as brand new Tempest kit why may look new kit surface in 2018. Czechs can make ultra realistic look and best model kits company on the world not. Ed's Tempest have over surface rivets & under surface rivets. I don' t understand why Tamiya released this overpriced kit with obsolete surface... I wait a years for 1/32 early Spit from Tamiya ant Tam. released booring 1/48:kit...  😕

But it's still a damn fine MkI Spit, wouldn't you say? And if Eduard get around to doing one, we can compare and contrast. Can't wait!

• Like 2