New 1/48 Tamiya Spitfire Mk.I?

k5054nz

Another option to create the N letter code is to make it out of clear decal.   Don't even have to buy a blank sheet, if you can find a free corner on an existing set in the spares pile from other kits.  Instead of printing, just mask and spray the width of the letter in medium sea grey.   You can make it really easy on yourself and not even mask out the letter N proper, just a line segment of the proper width, cut into three sections and create it from that directly onto the model.

regards,

Jack

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

serials, yes.

Code letters, probably not, as in the early war era are very varied, in size and "font"  so the generic sheets are usually just not quite right....

Though if you have the right DW, then an N can be made from another letter

Or make a  stencil for them?

Well I thought the Xtradecal sheet would do, but it may be lacking the correct D, though some sheets that have DW aircraft on don't seem to have the correct D for those aircraft either. I do get a bit despondent just going through my own decal collection when I compare them to photo and often find errors. 

On 10/2/2018 at 6:26 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks Troy, I can see the seperate wingtips on the other sprue, however if we just concentrate on the wing sprues, this is clearly catered for an 'A' eight gun wing. I'm not aware of this wing / gun arrangement ever being fitted with either clipped of HF wingtips, so why separate them? The wing parts shown above cannot be used for a Vb, Vc or anything else IMO (except Va). Having said all this, I am confident that the fit will be exceptional so there's probably no need for concern. I'm just a little curious and am certainly not bagging this kit. 

Cheers.. Dave 

The A wing might not be clipped at the wingtips but the wingtips can be fitted to a C wing. 

As you can see, the Mk. 1 related wing surfaces and parts are all on one sprue. This means Tamiya has planned other versions too but we cant predict if these versions will ever be released.  

19 minutes ago, stalal said:

The A wing might not be clipped at the wingtips but the wingtips can be fitted to a C wing. 

As you can see, the Mk. 1 related wing surfaces and parts are all on one sprue. This means Tamiya has planned other versions too but we cant predict if these versions will ever be released.  

The wing parts breakdown of the 1/48 Tamiya 1993 issued Spitfire 1 does not have seperate wing tips. Although I fully expect that this 2018 will fit beautifully, I would have still preferred an ‘A’ wing with intergrated wingtips. Other possible versions should really not be considered in this discussion as besides a Mk.11 and Va, you’d still need new main wing parts to build other versions. This is were seperate wingtips are required, but IMO never for an ‘A’ wing in any scale. 

Cheers. Dave 

1 hour ago, Christer A said:

I wonder if Tamiya will add a proper Dark Earth to their XF-range?

About bally time!!!!

44 minutes ago, Col. said:

Dare I suggest that a new Tamiya Spitfire will be naturaly followed by a plethora of aftermarket decal sheets?

Indubitably. Well let's hope so anyway, and it would be nice to see a few offerings for some squadrons which are often over looked too.

I'm hoping (although doubting it will happen) that Tamiya might offer some decal options in the kit for some often overlooked subjects. Hillary's Sredni Vashtar would be nice and what with his recent passing, one of Geoff Wellum's 92 Spits, that kind of thing would tickle my fancy. Although I'm planning on doing my first one of these new Tamiyas as the 64 Sqn mount flown by a family member.

Hugely looking forward to the release of this new Spit, it really looks magnificent.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Hillary's Sredni Vashtar 

There was a Spitfire called Sredni Vashtar!!!! Wow!

Really, are there any photos, or just a description...?  Please @Smithy tell me more.

I've been reading some Saki stories to my daughter at bedtime... She particularly liked A Stalled Ox.

Cheers

T

• Like 1

On 11/8/2018 at 5:24 AM, stalal said:

There will probably be a Mk. Vb(!) next year. 

8 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

There was a Spitfire called Sredni Vashtar!!!! Wow!

Really, are there any photos, or just a description...?  Please @Smithy tell me more.

I've been reading some Saki stories to my daughter at bedtime... She particularly liked A Stalled Ox.

Cheers

T

Hi Troy,

Richard Hillary had a Spitfire (L1021) which he named Sredni Vashtar after the ferret in the Saki story. It's speculative whether L1021 carried the name painted on her or whether this was purely Hillary's pet name for the aircraft. Although I think it would be great to see this airframe offered and with an optional name decal (I've seen profiles both with and without, usually the with is a simple SREDNI VASHTAR in small white capital letters on the port front side). Hillary is one of the quintessential Battle of Britain pilots and it would be great to see L1021 or even X4722 (the one in which he was shot down) in a new release but as I said above I'm not holding my breath!

And top marks for reading Saki to your daughter!

Tim

• Thanks 1

It's very interesting to compare this Spit. with the latest 109 they do. I'm getting the impression that they are taking the ethos of the 1/32 kits and putting into the 1/48 offerings. 

The 109 is a little gem of a kit and feels like it should be in a bigger scale. The one thing you can say about Tamiya is that they do keep raising the bar quality wise .

I'm surprised they did not do full engine detail as they have done on the 109, with all panels open. It will be very interesting to do a straight comparison with the Airfix offering.

Price wise it seems competitive with whats on offer in the market of that quality. Will be interesting to see all the sprues for the kit.

Cheers

Dick

On 9/30/2018 at 12:47 AM, Vonbraun said:

Check out the windscreen armor on Tamiya's new 1/48 scale Spitfire Mark I...

30060351827_733cfe6a74_h.jpg

I have many Spitfire references but I was not aware of this detail.  After checking my photo files I found a photo of LZ-N, R6800 with this type of armored windscreen.  

44085346465_f9b9818e2c_h.jpg

Also check out the presence of head and back armour in the photo, which is missing from the kit. (It is missing from their current Mk.I tooling too despite the markings being for a Battle of Britain era aircraft, by which time such armour had been fitted to all Spitfires). It shouldn't be too difficult to replicate it, but having to do so is annoying for such a widely documented aircraft. As far as I can see, The kit includes decals for an early version, sans head and seat armour (correct),  no protruding machine gun barrels (wrong), and 3-bladed prop (wrong?), and for a later, Battle of Britain version, with no pilot armour (wrong). Still, if the outline is accurate, then I can live with having to correct some of those annoying but relatively trivial inaccuracies, and maybe someone will come along with an aftermarket 2-bladed prop so I can eventually do both versions. All in all, it seems good news, and I've pre-ordered one from Hobby Easy.

Edited by Hobbyman
For clarity

K9906 was photographed with a three blade prop in aerial photos.  Hard to see if the protruding blast tubes are still there, possibly those disappeared early, like the two-blade prop?  It also has the raised cockpit cover which is another very early change, though it still does have the early pitot. 

I could be tempted when it comes out from Tamiya.

Cheers

Will

7 hours ago, malpaso said:

Hard to see if the protruding blast tubes are still there, possibly those disappeared early...

Cheers

Will

I think you are describing the flash suppressors (those extensions found on Tamiya's first release of their Spitfire Mk.I).  These have been discussed in the past on these forums.   Haven't found an official date, but they seem to have disappeared (or began to) shortly after the beginning of hostilities.   A reason quoted was that the suppressors increased the probability of the guns freezing at higher altitudes.

Combine the above and the lack of pilot armour  narrows the time frame that this new Tamiya kit can be built.   Really odd to leave that out, not like it would break their bank.   As mentioned, it can easily be built from scratch if going for simple outline shapes, but the slot for passing the harness through, that is another thing.  Here was my solution a number years back, utilizing the shapes from Tamiya's pilot armour found in their Spitfire V kit:

399189508.jpg&key=0c0200377afce7f2ccc9ce

399189509.jpg&key=b4203840e340edfbcc373b

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Boman said:

What will happen with the old Spitfire molds - will they stop selling them? 

I would have though so, though some manufacturers like Haseagawa continue to sell old molds even when there's a newer one, I don't see Tamiya doing that personally.

9 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

I’m not sure of an instance where Tamiya moulds have been sold on?

Trevor

I can't think of a single one (not that I'm an expert.) I would think that given Tamiya's status in modelmaking, they wouldn't want anything substandard in the market after they'd made a better version. The moulds will no doubt be retired, never to be used again- they may end up in the Tamiya museum? Tamiya is big enough to absorb the cost of effectively scrapping still viable moulds.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stalal said:

In the third marking, the aircraft with QV serial seems have part of the wing in black. What could be the reason for it? 

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10571228/60/1

Identification markings , single seat fighters had black and white lower wings during the early war period.

On 11/8/2018 at 4:17 PM, Col. said:

Dare I suggest that a new Tamiya Spitfire will be naturaly followed by a plethora of aftermarket decal sheets?

I didn't realise that there is a shortage of BoB era Spitfire decal sheets. I seem to have a veritable plethora in my decal stash already.

• Like 2