New 1/48 Tamiya Spitfire Mk.I?

k5054nz

1 hour ago, Sturmovik said:

Maybe Tamiya plans to release the two bladed version after this one.

Maybe, but going on the way Tamyia do things I suspect they won't and just let the AM guys sorts things out the other options.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2018 at 3:44 PM, Sturmovik said:

I see some of the photoetch parts are for the radiators and the seat belts, I hope the other parts can be left aside without much trouble, I don´t like photoetch.

It appears Tamiya has designed the kit with the photo-etch in mind from the start and has put in slots and tabs to ease assembly. This is a different philosophy from Eduard where the photo-etch is optional even in their ProfiPack kits.

• Thanks 1

@VMA131Marine then I'll have to fight the photoetch if I ever buy the model, it's becoming really common in today's models, even 1:72.

@Tbolt most likely, how many differences did the three bladed Mk.I Spit had compared to the two bladed Mk.I Spit? If it was just the propeller, then it would make sense for them to release the same kit with the different prop.

2 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

@VMA131Marine then I'll have to fight the photoetch if I ever buy the model, it's becoming really common in today's models, even 1:72.

@Tbolt most likely, how many differences did the three bladed Mk.I Spit had compared to the two bladed Mk.I Spit? If it was just the propeller, then it would make sense for them to release the same kit with the different prop.

I'm not sure might just be the prop with what else is already in the kit,  but as we know Tamiya don't always make sense ;) They've gone to the extra expense of tooling several kits so they can do different version but never actually released those versions.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2018 at 8:07 PM, gingerbob said:

OK, very minor grumble.  Why oh why make a separate control surface (rudder) and then attach it with a great big tab that locks it in one position?  That just bugs me.

I heard on hlj.com videos that its probably more to do with being able to provide 1 piece horizontal stabilizer. Similar to the 109g kit. It allows modellers an easier way to align them than 2 separate pieces.

I see no indication that they will go for a two blade Mk. I but definitely will turn out in a year or so a Mk. Vb (of course, as the 'c' will demand changed as noticed in the angle of the legs. 

And then their old ones will be put to rest -- eternally.

• 3 weeks later...

I have watched the video on Squadron Workshop and it does look impressive, and the idea of getting one at a reasonable price from Hobby Easy appeals, but I thnk I will save my pennies for a couple of Airfix XIVs next year for the following reasons. 

1 I do not like having to attach the undercarriage legs such at an early stage, I would almost certainly break them off.

2 Having seen a close up of the open canopy option on a completed model, I'm not sure that the rebate in the fuselage will work, it is obvious that the spine is lower forward of the aerial mast. A good idea, but so was the Airfix one of combining the sliding and fixed portions of the canopy.

3 Do I really need another 1/48 Mk 1 Spitfire?

I'm sure it will be a beautiful kit with all the usual superb Tamiya engineering but not for me at the moment. Now it develops into a Mk V  with a 'C' wing ( unlikely I know ), then that's another matter.

John

45 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

1 I do not like having to attach the undercarriage legs such at an early stage, I would almost certainly break them off.

A post on Hyperscale said this, and apparently it easy enough too add them later.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I have watched the video on Squadron Workshop and it does look impressive, and the idea of getting one at a reasonable price from Hobby Easy appeals, but I thnk I will save my pennies for a couple of Airfix XIVs next year for the following reasons. 

2 Having seen a close up of the open canopy option on a completed model, I'm not sure that the rebate in the fuselage will work, it is obvious that the spine is lower forward of the aerial mast. A good idea, but so was the Airfix one of combining the sliding and fixed portions of the canopy.

3 Do I really need another 1/48 Mk 1 Spitfire?

I'm sure it will be a beautiful kit with all the usual superb Tamiya engineering but not for me at the moment. Now it develops into a Mk V  with a 'C' wing ( unlikely I know ), then that's another matter.

John

Like Troy says just fit the legs later - the panel below them should be a good fit so it can even be added right at the end of the build.

The thing with Airfix canopy is trying to paint it to look good isn't easy, the better idea is probably the way Eduard do it with an oversized canopy for the open one.

I don't need another Spitfire Mk.I, though I maybe tempted to get one if I find one at a good price. If they do a Vc I will be buying a few of those.

• Like 1

Now listed on HLJ.com for the bargain basement price of $22.18 - that is really good.

https://hlj.com/1-48-scale-supermarine-spitfire-mk-i-tam61119

One of the images is of the three optional canopies. One is the early unarmoured windscreen version so you would have to think a version with a two-blade prop is planned.

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Now listed on HLJ.com for the bargain basement price of $22.18 - that is really good.

https://hlj.com/1-48-scale-supermarine-spitfire-mk-i-tam61119

One of the images is of the three optional canopies. One is the early unarmoured windscreen version so you would have to think a version with a two-blade prop is planned.

But you are only allowed to buy twenty!

• Haha 1

LuckyModel, another Asian based vendor, has  joined in with a pre-order price of USD$23.99 and with the current 20% off sale, that knocks it down to $19.19 - coupon code is LUCKY20.   Just an fyi, if you choose the paypal option, you are charged an extra 4% on the total.

regards,

Jack

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

Do you know of an aftermarket decal sheet with DWoN as an option?

No I don't. But if you can't find it on a sheet can you not just but a sheet of code letters and a sheet of serial numbers and put it together that way?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

Do you know of an aftermarket decal sheet with DWoN as an option?

17 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

No I don't. But if you can't find it on a sheet can you not just but a sheet of code letters and a sheet of serial numbers and put it together that way?

serials, yes.

Code letters, probably not, as in the early war era are very varied, in size and "font"  so the generic sheets are usually just not quite right....

Though if you have the right DW, then an N can be made from another letter

Or make a  stencil for them?

• Thanks 1