New 1/48 Tamiya Spitfire Mk.I?

k5054nz

1 hour ago, spaddad said:

Instead of putting it out at £19.99 like the bulk of their current single engine fighters & undercutting  & outselling Airfix it'll probably be £35 or £40 like their latest issues.

HobbyEasy.com have it listed for pre-order at  GBP18.66.

Yes,  bright roundel colours on the decal sheet - even the blue looks to be of the pre-1937 variety, or could just be caused by the light flashing? 

The separate wing tips, maybe to better capture their thickness??    The red centers of the fuselage roundels are also separate, for better registration?

regards,

Jack

1 hour ago, mhaselden said:

Not sure I like the design of the fuselage pieces.  I suspect the more ham-fisted among us (looking at myself in the mirror here!) may struggle to align the separate cockpit surround with the rest of the fuselage.  

Actually I don't think there will be any problems. I believe that R&D team made it easy to build. If it were any other company I could have doubts, but not in this case. 

Saw many of you mentioning the price. Remember that Tamiya's main market is Japan and their prices are average. It would be same here in Europe but all this castoms and taxes made their kits expensive. But if you check how much are, for example, Eduard's kits in Japan, you'll see that Japanese modellers have the same problems. 

I think I'll be buying one every two months as Spitfire is my favourite plane. And I keep fingers crossed for later Marks (both short nose and long nose Merlins). 

• Like 1

Dom, you make a valid point about pricing, and does make sense, but even looking at prices between Hannants and HobbyEasy, and using Eduard's 109G as a comparison - they look about even.   Only when an item is out of stock does the price jump.   I'd say shop and compare, but that does not seem to help  UK residents when ordering out of the country.  They get dinged pretty hard with customs/taxes.

regards,

Jack

3 hours ago, mhaselden said:

Not sure I like the design of the fuselage pieces.  I suspect the more ham-fisted among us (looking at myself in the mirror here!) may struggle to align the separate cockpit surround with the rest of the fuselage.  

Looking at the way they have engineered it, if it fits well I think it will be really hard to mess it up.

Edited by Tbolt

23 minutes ago, JackG said:

Dom, you make a valid point about pricing, and does make sense, but even looking at prices between Hannants and HobbyEasy, and using Eduard's 109G as a comparison - they look about even.   Only when an item is out of stock does the price jump.   I'd say shop and compare, but that does not seem to help  UK residents when ordering out of the country.  They get dinged pretty hard with customs/taxes.

regards,

Jack

Yes by the time we've paid import VAT and handle fee you are probably close to what you could get it for in the UK, even if it a little more expensive in this country is rather pay it as if there us somthing wrong with it or missing from the kit it could be hassle sort it out buy from the east. I've bought kits before from HLJ but that's when the shipping and exchange rates were a lot better and the savings  were worth the risk.

1 hour ago, rod mcq said:

The UK RRP for the Spitfire will be £34.99 with the kit currently due in mid-January 2109

Just in time for the 170th anniversary of the start of WWII!

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Homebee said:

Some more interesting pictures.

Source: http://www.tamiya.com/japan/newstopics/2018/0928newitem/index.html

61119_02.jpg

Looks rather nice! Got to say that the pilot figure looks very good. I keep looking at the photo and it actually looks like a real person sitting in there....well, unless they've photoshopped a real pilot into the cockpit!

Just hoping Tamiya bring us a Mk 1 in 1/32 too!

Steve

• Like 1

I see some of the photoetch parts are for the radiators and the seat belts, I hope the other parts can be left aside without much trouble, I don´t like photoetch.

55 minutes ago, Chaotic Mike said:

But... But... But... The seat is the wrong colour! Clearly it's unbuilable! 

It's the right colour for an early Spit. These had metal seats and were painted green. It's ok, you'll be able to build it. Edgar wrote a fair bit about this. Can't remember off of the top of my head, but I think he said that the composite seats started being fitted from May 1940 onwards (needs checked). Either way, I probably painted most of my Battle of Britain era Spitfire seats wrong!

Steve

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

OK, very minor grumble.  Why oh why make a separate control surface (rudder) and then attach it with a great big tab that locks it in one position?  That just bugs me.

Yes it's a pain, but they do this so the control surfaces have a three dimensional look to them. They look seperate from the wing or tail. I usually sand the tab or cut it down so I can position it the way I want. Just did that with the tail planes on Eduard's Fw-190A-3 kit. :thumbsup:

The Aftermarket companies - CMK, Quickboost, Eduard - make resin control surfaces, but they need to be modified if you want to animate your build.:shrug:

44 minutes ago, DominikS said:

I only don't like that there aren't early Rotol and two-blader (Watts?) propellers and early, flat canopy.

Another thing which is quite interesting is the way we should attach armour glass.

That is really a missed chance, if it would i would immediately buy it...

Nevertheless it looks like a great kit...

Cheers, Jan

What do you mean by early Rotol?  One squadron was fitted with magnesium-bladed Rotol props around the time of Dunkirk, but I've not seen drawings of these, nor of the spinner shape.  They were narrower than the later standard wooden Rotol blades.  If you mean the classic Spitfire Rotol almost-hemispherical spinner, then this was standard on the Castle Bromwich build Mk.IIs whereas the Mk. Is were Supermarine built with the De Havilland prop and spinner.  There were some Mk.Is with the Rotol spinner and wooden props, as the two were interchangeable, but they were certainly not common.

But this isn't a kit of a Mk.II.  Or a cannon-armed Mk.I.  Nor does it include parts for the PR versions.  It's a kit of a Mk.I offering a range of options.  Modellers are never content.

• Like 4

Graham, I meant Rotol used on No 54 squadron Spitfires. To my blind eyes it's the same type as used later on Spitfires Mk.II. 

I didn't know about any other Rotol propellers used on Mk. I. It is good to learn something new about Spits. 

B een away for some time ... but I guess that Tamiya has decided to produce the definitive Spitfire Mk.I -- again again. But strange omissions such as the two blade propeller as it seems that a few items belonging to the very early Spifires are present. 

But very nice t see two new Spitfire in 1/48 appearing over the next six months (or less). The last two years have been like in a desert.

On 10/3/2018 at 5:53 PM, Mike Esposito said:

That pilot figure is awesome!

He is. As painted, the blue of his service dress uniform is a bit bright but it's a hard colour to get right.

The kit looks absolutely fantastic and I will definitely be buying one, even though it's the 'wrong' scale.

8 hours ago, NPL said:

B een away for some time ... but I guess that Tamiya has decided to produce the definitive Spitfire Mk.I -- again again. But strange omissions such as the two blade propeller as it seems that a few items belonging to the very early Spifires are present. 

But very nice t see two new Spitfire in 1/48 appearing over the next six months (or less). The last two years have been like in a desert.

Maybe Tamiya plans to release the two bladed version after this one.