New 1/48 Tamiya Spitfire Mk.I?

k5054nz

19 hours ago, JackG said:

At the moment there is no reason to suspect this new tool has shape issues.

As for the experts on the original Tamiya release of '93, that is up to them why they never mentioned it.  Maybe some didn't notice, others kept quiet to not affect sales??

regards,

Jack

It was mentioned, I have several old magazine articles that clearly note the errors.

2 hours ago, Plasto said:

I’m personally now in a quandary as I have a ‘old’ Tamiya mk1 spitfire about 20% finished.. Do I push on or wait for the new kit?

Finish it. That, after all, is what kits are made for ;) 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Col. said:

Finish it. That, after all, is what kits are made for ;) 

Agree, it's not like it's a really bad kit. I'll still be building the Tamiya and Hasegawa Mk.V's in my stash dispite them not being as accurate as the latest kits.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

IIRC, that mirror type was introduced on R6799*. I'll have to dig out the old SAM article on early Spitfires, as it's a goldmine of information on the subject.

Edit: it (being the first production-fitted mirror) was introduced on R6800-6803 and R6880 onwards according to the SAM November 1982 article.

Cheers,

Mark.

Mark, thanks so much for posting the link to that wonderful SAM article. 

Rob

On 9/30/2018 at 8:25 AM, Sonoran said:

What I find interesting is that every piece that goes into assembling the wings is contained on a separate sprue, which means we could see a Mk.Vb/c with a simple change of sprue. Additionally, the lower cowling is molded on a gated sub-sprue off one end of one of the other main sprues, with nothing on the opposite end where a gate is closed.  That tells me that a Vokes filter on that gated off area is in the offing, again pointing to a Mk.Vb/c.

And hopefully a pilot in his shorts ;)

• Like 1

On 9/30/2018 at 1:17 PM, lasermonkey said:

IIRC, that mirror type was introduced on R6799*. I'll have to dig out the old SAM article on early Spitfires, as it's a goldmine of information on the subject.

Edit: it (being the first production-fitted mirror) was introduced on R6800-6803 and R6880 onwards according to the SAM November 1982 article.

Cheers,

Mark.

I've got a copy of that November 82 SAM on my book shelf. You're right! It is a veritable goldmine. Fantastic article and usually one of my first go-to's for early Spitfire stuff.

Steve

Looks nice, however I'm not a huge fan of the seperate wingtips for the Mk.1 version. I'm trying to work out why they've done this as the original 1993 kit has a complete wing with no separate wingtips. 610 Squadrons DW-K gets another showing and I'll reserve judgement on the Red used for the national insignias. 

Big pluses for the range of windscreens and everything else. I'm sure it'll all fit like a well worn glove.  

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Looks nice, however I'm not a huge fan of the seperate wingtips for the Mk.1 version. I'm trying to work out why they've done this as the original 1993 kit has a complete wing with no separate wingtips.

61119_25.jpg&key=964e8ecac1575d8d4f67796

from the above Dave, note that the wingtips are on a separate 'detail' sprue,  so this is to cater for the inevitable Mk.Vb,   to usual howls of  "why no Vc..."

Perhaps well see though we'll see "Tamiya XF-86" RAF Dark Earth appear in the paint range now though....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Troy Smith said:

...for the inevitable Mk.Vb,  to usual howls of "why no Vc..."

I know next to nothing about Spitfires, but doesn´t the Mk.I share identical main landing gear assembly with Mk.Vb, where as that would be inaccurate and a "fatal flaw" in a Mk.Vc? Maybe that´s why the manufacturers (those that respect accuracy better than others) take the shortcut and produce them Vb:s... V-P

Just now, vppelt68 said:

I know next to nothing about Spitfires, but doesn´t the Mk.I share identical main landing gear assembly with Mk.Vb, where as that would be inaccurate and a "fatal flaw" in a Mk.Vc? Maybe that´s why the manufacturers (those that respect accuracy better than others) take the shortcut and produce them Vb:s... V-P

yes, the Vc has a forward rake compared to Vb,  but when tooling up the Vc wing you just modify the UC leg attachment, as you need a new wing sprue anyway....

On 5/9/2014 at 14:36, Troy Smith said:

the C wing introduced a 2 degree [iirc] forward rake to UC geometry.

VB

supermarine-spitfire-vb.jpg

VC

03-UPA1.jpg

Foward rake is obvious.

I can't recall the exact reasons, bob will though ;)

Tony, if this clutters your thread will happily edit out.

HTH

T

from

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234966915-alley-cat-spitfire-mkvc-conversion-for-new-airfix-spit-mkvb-kit-148th-scale/

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

from the above Dave, note that the wingtips are on a separate 'detail' sprue,  so this is to cater for the inevitable Mk.Vb,   to usual howls of  "why no Vc..."

Perhaps well see though we'll see "Tamiya XF-86" RAF Dark Earth appear in the paint range now though....

Thanks Troy, I can see the seperate wingtips on the other sprue, however if we just concentrate on the wing sprues, this is clearly catered for an 'A' eight gun wing. I'm not aware of this wing / gun arrangement ever being fitted with either clipped of HF wingtips, so why separate them? The wing parts shown above cannot be used for a Vb, Vc or anything else IMO (except Va). Having said all this, I am confident that the fit will be exceptional so there's probably no need for concern. I'm just a little curious and am certainly not bagging this kit. 

Cheers.. Dave 

OK I can now see what appears to ba a flat sided canopy, early unarmoured windscreen and ' pole ' type aerial but I still can't see a two bladed prop. Oh well never mind, I've got a resn one somewhere in my Spitfire spares box.

It looks very tempting, I hope they don't spoil it all with a silly price.

John

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks Troy, I can see the seperate wingtips on the other sprue, however if we just concentrate on the wing sprues, this is clearly catered for an 'A' eight gun wing. I'm not aware of this wing / gun arrangement ever being fitted with either clipped of HF wingtips, so why separate them? The wing parts shown above cannot be used for a Vb, Vc or anything else IMO (except Va). Having said all this, I am confident that the fit will be exceptional so there's probably no need for concern. I'm just a little curious and am certainly not bagging this kit. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Which is what  I thought...  I was just making a suggestion as to why, but logically you'd mould them inplace.... but maybe since they had the separate tips....

Tamiya march their own beat.....  #

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

OK I can now see what appears to ba a flat sided canopy, early unarmoured windscreen and ' pole ' type aerial but I still can't see a two bladed prop. Oh well never mind, I've got a resn one somewhere in my Spitfire spares box.

and this was an option in the new tool Airfix, so plenty of them about in spares boxes....  But I suspect the price maybe one that will not make for multiple purchases.

The ki-61 and bf109G-6 are £39.99 at Hannants.... I image that what this will be as well....

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

John

Instead of putting it out at £19.99 like the bulk of their current single engine fighters & undercutting  & outselling Airfix it'll probably be £35 or £40 like their latest issues.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Cheers.. Dave 

Have they just molded the tips separately to get them accuarate rather than mould them with the top of the wing, I’m not sure why though?

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1

Not sure I like the design of the fuselage pieces.  I suspect the more ham-fisted among us (looking at myself in the mirror here!) may struggle to align the separate cockpit surround with the rest of the fuselage.