New 1/48 Tamiya Spitfire Mk.I?

k5054nz

Highly interesting, would it be the first time they are replacing already tooled aircraft subject with new one...

Expected 32nd Mk.I from Tamiya, and 48th from Eduard...none the less cannot wait!

Edited by Thomas V.

4 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

Highly interesting, would it be the first time they are replacing already tooled aircraft subject with new one...

I think some of their early 1/50 Japanese subject kits were replaced with modern 1/48 ones, but then it's a (slightly) different scale.

3 hours ago, wadeocu said:

Interesting that this announcement is characterized as "tentative" and appears to have been made while the product is still in the design phase.  This is a change for Tamiya isn't it?

Tamiya never pulls the trigger too soon and they never engage in long drawn out social media campaigns that may take years to bear fruit (looking at you Kitty Hawk/Trumpeter/HB :rofl2:).

Tamiya is very secretive about what they're working on and when they announce a new release it's always something no one was expecting. I mean I would expect the Spanish Inquisition before I would have had the slightest notion Tamiya would do a New Tool Spitfire Mk.I - REALLY???? 

The kit is going to be released soon. However it is marked as a tentative because it's may not be ready to display at the All Japan Hobby Show.

What's interesting is this:

Parts are included to recreate various specifications of the Mk.I. (Nice to have the option of the various propellers for the Mk.I)

Length: 191mm  (Is this the correct scale length of a Mk.I?)

Cockpit features realistic detailing. (The old tool pit is sparse by today's standards.)

Photo-etched parts are included. (This is cool. Wonder what is included?)

I'm curious to see this new kit. They will sell a ton of them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scooby said:

Tentative - I agree with the above comments. Probably time the release for the early New Year, so that it is in the 80th Anniversary Year of the Battle of Britain!

New Year 2020? Unusual of them to make announcements that far in advance.

J

35 minutes ago, Calum said:

Pity it's not Mk Vc

Eduard has announced they are working on early Spitfires Mk. I - V. It was spoken about in one of their newsletters.  IIRC the next release (next year?) will be the Mk.V series - and Eduard LOVES variants. That's how they make their $$$$$. Do a Profipack with 5 very attractive  decal options and BOOM they've sold gobs of overtrees, masks, and overlept (photoetch for overtrees).

I'm hoping they do a Dual Combo Spit Mk.Vc with tons of CBI markings. I have two of the Aussie Eights boxings. Simply stunning offering Tamiya can't match.

• Like 3

I was kind of hoping that Tamiya would also do the Mk I in 1/32 to complement the other marks. I could then happily bin the Revell kits! 

Agree with the previous comments....this is all a bit un-Tamiya like.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, fightersweep said:

I was kind of hoping that Tamiya would also do the Mk I in 1/32 to complement the other marks. I could then happily bin the Revell kits! 

Agree with the previous comments....this is all a bit un-Tamiya like.

I would have the perfect bin for you to put them in. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Masinissa said:

Eduard has announced they are working on early Spitfires Mk. I - V. It was spoken about in one of their newsletters.  IIRC the next release (next year?) will be the Mk.V series - and Eduard LOVES variants. That's how they make their $$$$$. Do a Profipack with 5 very attractive  decal options and BOOM they've sold gobs of overtrees, masks, and overlept (photoetch for overtrees).

I'm hoping they do a Dual Combo Spit Mk.Vc with tons of CBI markings. I have two of the Aussie Eights boxings. Simply stunning offering Tamiya can't match.

I was aware of the Eduard Mk V series and I do love their Mk VIII, IX and XVI having built 3 of them. 

But any new Tamiya is worth building just because it's a Tamiya kit. No one puts as much thought into engineering their kits as Tamiya do. Their F14 is a great example of that 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, JackG said:

Can anyone tell yet if the shape issues from the original tool has been corrected?

regards,

Jack

No one has the plastic in hand yet. The kit in the photos looks to have a properly shaped wing and the fuselage looks bigger than the old Tamiya Spitfire kit, and they took the crowbar off the door! I don't trust the reviews on Hyperscale too much since they mostly cover how a kit glues together, so I'll have to wait for someone to post here about any shape issues. Either way it looks like Tamiya, after 20 years, finally fixed the issues and flaws in their earlier Spitfire kit.  :thumbsup:

Since the kit can be picked up for a reasonable price from HLJ I'll probably get one - eventually.

• Like 1

Looking from the pics I would say yes- its definitely not the same egg shaped-chubby fuselage that plagued initial release, and what I deem superlative is attention

to all the small differences found between Mk.I.a production batches that can be found on the sprues,no one captured it in any scale until now. I would even go so far to say that this is a prelude to both 32nd and 48th scale kits of Mk.I,Mk.Ia and V( hopefully Vc too)

• Like 2