No. 75 (RAAF) Sqn. "Tomorrow-Hawk, Never-Hawk" Kittyhawk

Rabbit Leader

Prelude - 

In Australia, we celebrate Fathers day on the first Sunday of September. This happy day occurred last weekend and as part of my early morning gifts my two lovely children were good enough to get me a copy of Michael Vietch's "44 Days" and yet another sheet from my favourite decal manufacturer - DK decals. This sheet (72049) covers 29 examples of early P-40E Kittyhawks in RAAF service, many of which participated in the early battles against the Japanese during WW2. 

Hopefully this will be the first of at least two Pacific War GB entries. I will base this build on an early copy of Hasegawa's 1977 issued P-40E Kittyhawk. IMO, this kit still holds it's own shape wise. Yes, the cockpit is very basic, even for this period of release, however the outline is far superior than that of the later Academy kit which for some strange reason looks too fat around the nose. Special Hobby have recently released what looks like a nice new tooled kit, however I have three of these in the stash already, so might as well build at least one of them.

To harness that extra bit of enthusiasm, I'll be reading the book whilst building the kit. The book's title is taken from the fact that for 44 days, this newly formed and somewhat inexperienced squadron were the only line of defence between the might of Japan's Imperial forces and the very possible invasion of Northern Australia. The battle line was drawn in the skies above Port Moresby and No. 75 Squadron grimly held on for as long as they could (44 days) until much needed reinforcements arrived. The "Tomorrow-Hawk / Never-Hawk" thread title is taken from members of the Australian Army based in New Guinea, who were under constant air attack from the Japanese before these Kittyhawks arrived. The Army had been promised adequate air defence, but when each day went by without any sign of these Kittyhawks, the somewhat disbelieving army folk came up with what they believed were more appropriate names (some of which cannot be printed)! 

Below are a few images of what I'm working with. I've already thought of a display base and I've plonked an earlier (and not well built) P-40N to give the impression of what this whole thing should look like in the end. I need to finish off my Classic Airfix GB build first, then will take to this good and proper. This should be a fun GB, so I'll look forward to everyone's builds as they all get going. 

Cheers.. Dave    

43784285144_241d797783_b.jpg

42693364770_d0bb70bc7c_b.jpg

44502127411_1f34c988bc_b.jpg

42693587920_f595e109dc_b.jpg

• Like 19

welcome aboard Dave, what a great story and something I didn't know. I may have to look that book up, it sounds like a really interesting read.

It looks like you have yourself all set for the build and I love the presentation you have planned for her. Your "not so well built" P-40N looks great, so I'm now dying to see your "well built" version!

Good luck with the build, I look forward to following it plus any additional history lessons you have. That's the great thing with these GB's you get to learn and find out amazing things you never knew, sort of what makes this hobby so great.

• Thanks 1

Dave, your 'not so well built' stuff looks great, as Rich says, looking forward to a well built one!

I've now got 4 P-40's to go at, I got the two 'fighters over the med' decal sheets so a long list of kits acquired and to acquire!

Davey.

Edited by DaveyGair
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dave,

Always that bit extra when you have history to add to your build.

The RAAF and RNZAF did some great things (in their own respective ways)

with the Curtiss P40 (which ever model), this bit of history is all part of that.

Look forward to your build and final result.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Dave

Any progress ? :popcorn:

cheers Pat

Well it's a bit like this Pat. 

I decided to finish off the Airfix GB Beaver build completely before hacking away at this one, however there's good news - I've been reading the book and the inspiration has returned. I now plan to make a start on this (and possibly a RAAF Milne Bay defender P-40E) as early as tomorrow. 

Cheers and thanks for the interest... Dave   

• Like 3

Chapter 1 - Making a Start.

As promised, I’ve made a start and have also decided to dig out another identical kit to see how far I can go with two builds. I’m thinking that whilst I’ll have all this P-40 reference stuff running around my head, it would be best to use it to tackle two kits - it’s amazing what I’ve read and forgotten about already!! 

Anyway, Hasegawa’s 1/72 P-40’s kits are quite basic and this is definitely evident when you see the kit’s cockpit. I decided to add a few bits of plastic strip and sprue in order to smarten this up a bit. Not much will be seen underneath the closed canopy, however this will look much better than a plain sidewall. Paint and wash will be applied soon. 

Cheers.. Dave 

30229932677_4ce2f9e336_b.jpg

45168176281_3d8bda5efa_b.jpg

• Like 10

Some nice detailing there Dave and a nice start. :thumbsup: I finished a parted started one of these for the MTO GB. I am sure you will weave your modelling magic to make this another standout build.

I have one issue though, it is with your thread title. The correct abbreviation for Squadron is SQN, not SQD (Squad). I see this mis-abbreviation so often it gets under my skin! :D (must be the ex-RAAFie coming out in me!)

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I have one issue though, it is with your thread title. The correct abbreviation for Squadron is SQN, not SQD (Squad). I see this mis-abbreviation so often it gets under my skin! :D (must be the ex-RAAFie coming out in me!)

Thanks for the correction tip Ray, thread topic instantly amended as (now knowing this) this would annoy me as well. I liken this to the many times I've seen QANTAS spelt with a U !!!!!

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree, nice start with the cockpit detailing.

Building the to together can be really helpfully and usually doesn't take much extra work.........unless you make the same mistake twice!! :whistle:  :wall:

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 2 - Seat mods & Cockpit paint 

Not being one to really splash out too much on AM bits, I decided to continue adding a few home brew details using plastic card, plastic strip and stretched sprue. The first image below shows the stock Hasegawa pilot's seat on the left and my 'modified' seat on the right. The fabric harness is c/o a Japanese company called Wako and although their colour appears a little too dark, it'll be OK for 1/72nd scale. Now silly me only made one of these seats and really should have made the second while I was at it, as a consequence one of these P-40's will probably get built a little quicker then the other. 

The cockpit walls have been painted, dry brushed and details picked out with a slight wash. Again not perfect, but adequate in order to move these builds along. Hasegawa's P-40 kits are also devoid of any wheel well detail, so strips of sprue have been added to create something to 'hopefully' replicate this. They're not exactly straight, however will have to do. 

Now the "44 Days' book has almost been read and is a great read and a real eye opener. The conditions that both Allies and Japanese servicemen endured whilst operating throughout  New Guniea were nothing short of horrendous! Not only were both sides fully engaged in trying to kill each other, they both suffered from sickness due to the severe tropical elements and very trying conditions. With poor food, health and lack of anything close to what you'd call 'facilities' meant that they were fighting for survival on all fronts and would have never been declared 'fit for duty' in any other theatre. Amazing stuff. 

There's not much to these kits, so I'll button up one of the fuses later today and hopefully get one ready for the priming stage after a little seam clean-up. 

Cheers.. Dave

31520957688_1b6d6cd3c4_b.jpg

45345366712_26c9104136_b.jpg

45345360872_a75693ea66_b.jpg

• Like 11

Looking good Dave. I just checked my seat. Looks like it might need some work. The wheel wells are good. 

I have ordered the book you mentioned. I've always known how hard it was for them. To make it even worse,

a lot of the boys had just got back from the desert war and Tobruk. You really have to give them credit for

their strength and commitment. 

• Thanks 1

Looking good, Dave, and a very interesting setting - I'll see if I can get the '44 Days' book on Kindle. It's just the sort of 'against the odds' situation I love. I'm a confirmed P-40 nut but have never built the Hasegawa kit so I'll be all eyes and ears. Good luck. Mike. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, just to let you know that I've read '44 Days' on the Kindle - very, very gripping and interesting so many thanks for the reference. As you say, horrendous conditions for both sides but even so, a couple of the Aussie downed pilots managed to 'evade' back to base. There were no photos so I hope you are able to track down some for reference. My impression is that weathering and battle damage are in order for those P-40's....All the best. Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Belated update #3

Apologies for the massive time lapse between GB build updates. Work has been a little hectic (probably can’t say the words I’d like to use!) and family life has been extremely busy - two combinations that would put a severe dent in anyone’s modelling. Anyway, I’ve been slowly working away on one of my P-40’s but didn’t think it was too much to report on. Everyone’s surperb builds and progress has perked me up a bit so I’ll show you what I’ve got. 

Here’s some build photos and I’ll take a few more when the sun rises again tomorrow morning. My ‘44 days’ P-40 is now painted in its main colours (OD and NG) and is almost ready for a clear coat. Still some details to paint but this one should make it into the GB Gallery. 

Cheers and happy Pacific theatre modelling. Dave 

45874831711_128881b4bc_b.jpg

32003699768_5b5bc26677_b.jpg

45825244722_e3b5dd0924_b.jpg

• Like 7