Scratchbuilt 1/72 Correa of 1911 -Argentine-

And the last for today, an Argentinian design!

(Model built in 2009)

Argentinians are very creative people. They have a knack for food, dances and…aviation.

Being myself originally from Argentina, let this be an homage to those pioneers that far away from the then centers of development nevertheless dared to dream.

Mr. Federico Correa, an engineer, was one of the many pioneers that contributed and propelled aviation in the country from the early days. Of his innovative design only one photo seems to be available, which I saw published in the AAHS (American Aviation Historical Society) Journal. Some helpful data there provided the basic core for the reproduction presented here.

The creation that resembled a boat on top of a carriage roofed by an overstretched empanada (the typical, yummy, Argentinean turnover) never –that we know of- took to the air, but was enthusiastically taxied at the historical airfield of El Palomar.

The model started by getting what was already available: the Aeroclub engine and prop to represent the Gnome Omega rotary engine. The prop in this case goes behind the engine. Four photoetched wheels were set apart too. The main elements were made of styrene of adequate thicknesses according to their function. The “wing” required a special approach depicted in the images, were a bed of styrene was prepared and engraved and then painted to represent the supporting structure of the original. Some additional elements -as per the photo of the real plane- were fabricated in diverse materials to populate this odd apparatus.

The diverse tanks were made of brass. One wonders why would you need so many tanks, but then you speculate that one was for the gasoline, one for the oil, one more may have been for the soup and the other for drinking water (in the event the plane may remain indefinitely suspended in the air).

It becomes apparent that aviators of that time period seemed to believe that Mr. Louis Bleriot achieved success in his renowned Across the Channel Flight only thanks to the aerodynamic properties of his beret and mustache, since every photo of the era shows wanna-be pilots so groomed.

Equally apt to navigate at “El Tigre” river delta given its canoe-shaped fuselage, have a tea under the “umbrella wing” at the chick Palermo Woods or cruise elegantly on the supporting undercarriage at the 9 de Julio Avenue in Buenos Aires, it is surely a loss that gravity stubbornly kept it firmly attached to the ground.

01.jpg

02.jpg

04.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

13.jpg

19.jpg

22.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

Edited by Moa
  • Like 28

Such a delicate looking aircraft. I wonder how stable it would have been in flight. It's amazing to think that this aircraft was designed only three years before the start of the First World War. 

What would those early pioneers have made of the aircraft that fly today? 

It's a fascinating thought. 

Another beautifully made piece of art. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cngaero said:

What would those early pioneers have made of the aircraft that fly today? 

It's a fascinating thought. 

Interesting question.

Perhaps they would have felt something similar to what we may feel today seeing a Borg Cube suspended in the air (or an UFO). Strange use of materials, new materials, incomprehensible power plants: magic.

Perhaps in some years we will be presented with a pill that it's all devices and transmits directly to and from your brain.

Me, I only wish humanity would be more...human.

Now that is something that may not happen in millions of years, no matter what technology is around.

Better back to the building board 😉

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Moa said:

Perhaps in some years we will be presented with a pill that it's all devices and transmits directly to and from your brain.

Ooooooooohh no thanks, I'm safer with a pencil and a piece of paper. 

• Haha 1

I missed this one first time around and it's one of my favourites – the odder the better in my opinion.

How on earth did he think that this would fly, I'd be more concerned that the weight of it would crack the runway.

• Thanks 1

Beautiful model, but I think that either Snr Correa lacked a basic understanding of aerodynamics, or this was actually designed for the beach, with a shade and a propeller to keep party makers cool!

Ian

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gorby said:

How on earth did he think that this would fly, I'd be more concerned that the weight of it would crack the runway.

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Beautiful model, but I think that either Snr Correa lacked a basic understanding of aerodynamics, or this was actually designed for the beach, with a shade and a propeller to keep party makers cool!

Ian

Gorby, Ian:

You are harsh! 😉 Let's say that the man was an aviation artist, a poet, a dreamer  😉

6 hours ago, SUB-SAM said:

I have a question if you are willing:

What technique do you use for making the engines?

Hi

As you can read in the description given above in the first section, I used an Aeroclub engine, a white metal aftermarket accessory that, like many others from Aeroclub, is now sadly discontinued.

I use many times accessories when  available, but to make your own ones is not a problem.

Here same examples of some I made for my models, using styrene bits, metal, wood, whatever material is convenient for the task:

02.jpg

06.jpg

06a.jpg

06.jpg

IMG_4148+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_6225+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_4130+%25281280x1002%2529.jpg

Edited by Moa
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, invidia said:

looks like a pram!!!!   interesting aircraft and lovely model 

If Pram is short for Pre-Ambulator, would you dare to call this a Pflatus (Pre-flying apparatus)?

I hope not.

Or I would have to post even crueler models for your harsh aeronautic education.

Edited by Moa

All your creations are remarkable, Moa. Beautiful even. I do love the early aircraft you build. 

They are remarkable creatures. Delicate, impractical and exotic.

Definitely worth recording. Keep it up.

Edited by noelh
  • Thanks 1

Of all the extrordinary aircraft models that you have posted, this must be one of the most strange. This is another example of your modelling skills: relatively simple parts to make but putting all of this together and keeping it all square and balanced is a very different proposition.

This is the most interesting collection of models that I have seen on any site: please keep them coming.

P

• Thanks 1