Space Marines and Conquest magazine.

After finding the new Games Workshop Conquest magazine  in the paper shop for £1.99 I thought is was about time I had a go at painting some of these. Now I used to play 40k 25+years ago and I sort of what you might call paint the figures but all I used to do was blather the marines in blue and then dry brush the hell out of them, that was it, so I'm trying a bit harder with these. I don't expect them to be perfect so feel free to chip in with any advice.

Now I did get two of issue 1 so me and my two girls can have a go to paint the other 3 Marines together. I will also get the first 4 issue's of the magazine so we will have enough carectors, dice, mat etc to play a small game. 

So started my first Marine, he looks a bit light. 

IMG_20180904_125634.jpg

IMG_20180904_225718.jpg

Added some dark blue shadow and painted in so detail. 

IMG_20180905_214756.jpg
IMG_20180905_214733.jpg

A few small patches to clean up then I will try my hand at edge highlighting. 

Edited by rockpopandchips
  • Like 10

That's was trickyer than I thought, some bits I really messed up so I ended up blending it in but I think some of it looks OK for a first attempt. 

IMG_20180905_225411.jpg

IMG_20180905_225427.jpg
IMG_20180905_225419.jpg

So let's have those tips and pointers then...... 

Cheers Brian. 

• Like 10

Finished Intercession Galeus, yes the three Marines you get in this issue all have Names. I had a flick through the magazine and as an introduction its great, for the absolute beginner. It introduces the 41st century the players, goodies and a few baddies and starts the narrative to the game you can play in the next issue. The magazine also guides you through building and painting your Marines in a very basic way with a hint that there will be other techniques to follow in later issues. 

IMG_20180907_201415.jpg
IMG_20180907_201346.jpg
IMG_20180907_201305.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

"So let's have those tips and pointers then......"

I cheat- Optivisor clone/rip-off courtesy of Oxford, W&N No 7 for the fiddly bits, lots of Vallejo Inks and GW washes for that 'talent in a bottle' look! 😁 I'll be giving GWs texture paint a whirl this week (I finally caved!) so I won't even be putting in the miles on basing any more... 

Edited by Mike
Removing unnecessary photo quote.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

So what are these, paint or wash. I find the GW washes carry quite a lot of colour so change the base colour quite a bit, so imaged the Vallejo Inks to be like these but have not really looked into them at the moment.

Cheers.

Basically a wash- they're ink based, but don't bleed through subsequent paint layers the way 'real' inks I've used (like W&N) do. They come in bright colours, which compliments the grotty GW ones like Nuln Oil quite nicely. I'll paint up some Astartes this week and take a phot or two, see what you think?

Better caveat that. My photography skills are risible! But it should give you the general idea. 😄

• Like 1

11 hours ago, oileanach said:

Basically a wash- they're ink based, but don't bleed through subsequent paint layers the way 'real' inks I've used (like W&N) do. They come in bright colours, which compliments the grotty GW ones like Nuln Oil quite nicely. I'll paint up some Astartes this week and take a phot or two, see what you think?

Better caveat that. My photography skills are risible! But it should give you the general idea. 😄

That would very nice of you thanks. I putting together a 1/12 scale figure in the scifi section at the moment that I wash going to use blue washes to get light and shade in a jacket, these inks might be an easier way to do that. 

• Like 1

So just picked the next issue up from the GW in Harrogate, looks like I can start my girls of with the basicses of the game from this issue.....😎The magazine makes id sound fairly simple at this point so they should be fine. It's still a fantastic price for what you get in this issue, even if the dice are not great. Its my first time seeing the Death Guard models up close and I must say I'm very impressed, really looking forwards to painting them. 

IMG_20180912_122958.jpg
IMG_20180912_122923.jpg

• Like 3

So inside this magazine you to a new subscription offer,  pay for issue 3 @£7.99 and get issue 4 for Free and you also get a set of nippers, pot of glue and mouldline remover.

So for total of £14.97 I will have got 4 magazines, a set of nippers, pot of glue and mouldline remover, 6 dice, 6 pots of paint and 15 miniatures. Now to me that sound like too good a bargain to miss out on, so I will sign up with the intention of canceling after I have the 4 issues and we will see how that goes. 🤔

• Like 1

I did the maths on the subscription offer as well and it does look great value for money. I worry that it gets expensive quickly and will be difficult to get out of. Part works always seem to keep you coming back for just one more issue to get that next bit and never quite deliver.

It took all my will power to resist. I really couldn't see how I was going to find the time to put them together, paint them let alone do anything with them when they are done.

I'll be watching with interest to see what I missed out on.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2018 at 2:51 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

To the detriment of their spice-worms.  :poke:

But I already painted the spice worm! You can't get me on that one.

The Citadel mould-line remover is a surprisingly good tool, although it's not pointy enough to get into many of the nooks and crannies so I still mainly use the back of a scalpel to avoid having to swap between tools.

The Death Guard models are *amazing* but can be fatiguing to paint as there are just soo many little details. The Poxwalkers (zombies) are easier and really fun :)

35693069181_49f8ff4909_c.jpg

It looks like the magazine up to this point is pretty much First Strike:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/40k-first-strike-2017-ENG

(which is a neat starter set) plus some paints and things. Did they give you full-size paints, or the little pots they used for the 40K "getting started" paint sets?

From what I can tell from the pictures, the magazine goes on to cover the next biggest starter as well, which is this one:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/40k-know-no-fear-2017-ENG

If you get into it, I really recommend Kill Team, it uses the same stat lines with similar-but-different rules and plays really well with smaller numbers of models. If you like the included minis the starter box for that is very good and includes cool "space cathedral" scenery. They also do faction boxes with minis and scenery which work out to be quite good value as well.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

The paints included with the Conquest mags are the standard 12ml pots, just like you buy off the Citadel rack. The little ones were 3ml; but I believe they are in the process of phasing those out. But the sets with them are probably still on shelves some places, no doubt. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Yeoman1942 said:

will be difficult to get out of.

You might have a good point there, just tried to ring them to get some information on when the next issues will arrive and when will the DD be taken and frankly they are useless. They have no idea what's going on, delivery is as quoted within 28 day and payment will be invoiced to me at some point, just a little vague. I can see me having fun trying to cancel this! :banghead:

14 hours ago, Will Vale said:

If you get into it, I really recommend Kill Team,

Cheers Will,

Im hoping the girls like it as I have been looking at the Kill Team starter box, trying not to buy it, just yet, it's Christmas soon. It looks like a great table top game at a pretty good price.

All the tools glue etc will go into a box for two girls to use as a bit of a first model tool box. They are not going near my  tools again after I found them clipping the Guinea Pigs claws with my Godhand nippers.......AAAAAAAAA!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

They are not going near my  tools again after I found them clipping the Guinea Pigs claws with my Godhand nippers.......AAAAAAAAA!

AAAAAA indeed! My nippers have been safe from my nipper, who has her own set. But she has used my (older) brushes and left one set solid with dried wash :( I try not to be too grumpy as it's a) part of the learning and b) something I've done myself, but still. Grr.

W

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Looking through my paints this evening and I'm heavy on the metal and camo but that's about it really so treated my self to two Game Color Set, the new Non Dead Chaos the one with the inks in and the older  Orcs and Goblins set. That should give me something to play with when I make a start on the Death guard and walkers........ :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...