Vega Gull interior colours?

Ptmvarsityfan

Have recently received the excellent Dora Wings civil Vega Gull kit but there is no colour detail for the interior. Found a couple of interior shots of the survivor G-AEZJ on the net which show the front seats to be a palish grey but Im wondering if there was a standard interior colour or could individual customers specify the interior finish. 

Cheers, Paul

There probably was a standard interior colour, with custom colours at extra cost, which was typical for civil aircraft in this era.  Have several Percival books and it's not mentioned.  As well as the grey interior, another preserved aircraft has a red interior. Unfortunately, the kit doesn't supply any civilian seats; only military bucket seats with and without cushions, which are not correct.  Seats should be the typical leather car-type seats fitted in most civil cabin planes of the era. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I saw somewhere that the turquoise and silver were standard Percival colours. There

is a photo in the Air-Britain book of an early Gull preserved in the Brussels museum 

which has a pale turquoise and black finish,  That is not to say that your French

registered aircraft did not have another scheme, as Roger Holden mentions above

customers could choose their own colours at extra cost.

Cheers, Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Was trawling through the Air-Britain book and on page 76 regarding the Proctor V

it states that the aircraft was finished in standard Percival colours of turquoise

fuselage, silver wings and grey upholstery. Interior pictures on the web of the

surviving Vega Gull G-AEZJ show a grey interior and seats so I will go with this

for my Dora Wings model.

Cheers, Paul

• 1 month later...

Turquoise and Silver were the Percival House colours with a light grey for the standard interiors. The Brussels Gull Four has a red interior.   As a rule of thumb on pre-war aircraft all the companies usually had a standard paint scheme and interior colour.  With bespoke colour schemes such as a Red fuselage often the interior would have a matching or complimentary colour.  The use of Cockpit Green really only came in with the late 30's military contracts. Early Tiger Moths for instance had grey interiors.  I will make inquiries via a friend to see if he can dig up some other Percival bespoke colours.

John

• Like 6

• 3 years later...