A Butterworth Blenheim, *** FINISHED*** 01/12/2018

DaveyGair

Been itching to build one of the new tool Airfix Blenheim's I have, so can I join in with this?  Will be OOB (up to now!) using the kit decals for Sqn Leader Scarf's machine of 62 Sqn, RAF station, Butterworth, Dec. 1941.

Sprue shots this weekend.

DSC_0014

Davey.

Edit:  Just reading about this particular aircraft, didn't know about the story of Sqn. Leader Scarf's (and crew) lone action against the Japanese, a very sad end.

Edited by DaveyGair
  • Like 6

Got one of these as well Dave and plan on doing it in the same scheme one of these days. Scarf’s epic story is quite astonishing and believe that his wife was also a nurse at the scene when he passed away after landing - even fictional movies don’t have plots that powerful. 

I’ll look forward to see how you get on with this kit. Previous builds have mentioned that it’s best to attach the nose pieces to the fuselage halves first, rather than how Airfix recommend. This might be something to consider. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Davey and with something that will be a bit different for the GB.

I don't know the story but now you have mentioned it I'll have to read up on it. I know the base up there, I was working their at the beginning of the year.

I look forward to seeing what you do with this build and it's fitting that builds like this can remind us of some of these amazing feats of bravery (I just read about him as well, gosh what can you say!).

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’ll look forward to see how you get on with this kit. Previous builds have mentioned that it’s best to attach the nose pieces to the fuselage halves first, rather than how Airfix recommend. This might be something to consider. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Cheers Dave, I've read a couple of builds here and I think I'll be going for the joining of the nose to the rear halves first.  I've got this and two Mk IV's so at least it will be a bit of 'training' 🙂

50 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

Welcome aboard Davey and with something that will be a bit different for the GB.

I don't know the story but now you have mentioned it I'll have to read up on it. I know the base up there, I was working their at the beginning of the year.

I look forward to seeing what you do with this build and it's fitting that builds like this can remind us of some of these amazing feats of bravery (I just read about him as well, gosh what can you say!).

Rich, I never used to do any research into subjects 'back in the day', just used to enjoy building them.  Now I seem to try to get at least basic details right and sweat over getting joins and finish to a good standard, which is still an ongoing learning curve!

My dad was in the RAF and we went out to Butterworth back in the late 60's for two and a half years, came back 1970 when I was 9.  We were amongst the last RAF people to leave. I've done a Butterworth based Tempest II and have decals for a Vampire T.11, so trying to do a little 'Butterworth' gathering when I come across the correct markings.

Davey.

• Like 4

Ok, finished the Airfix Mustang IV yesterday so getting on with this one.

Sprue shots showing nothing started except playing with the four fuselage halves and cockpit transparencies.

DSC_0001

After some deliberation I decided to join the front and rear halves AND attach the transparencies. 

I removed the locating tabs on the front of both the clear parts to assist in lining up.

I removed the locating pins except the ones around the tail, then used a guitar Fret File edge to make sure the joining halves were flat during glueing.  The forward locating tab was left on as there is enough 'wiggle room' to play with.

Taping the two complete halves together shows the fit seems good, even the transparencies line up!

I have since test fitted the fuselage halves and this may be problematic, requiring the upper half to go in first, but I'll know better when the fuselage is finished and join together properly.

DSC_0002

DSC_0004DSC_0006DSC_0008DSC_0009DSC_0010DSC_0011

More soon, comments welcome, someone tell me I'm not gonna get the main wing in!

Davey

• Like 9

very nicely done!! That frontend and canopy fit looks perfect from the photos.

I often find you have to do some steps backwards to get a nice fit, well done I what you've achieved so far. :thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Looks the business 

I found this when reading up on this particular aircrafts history

http://www.far-eastern-heroes.org.uk/Arthur_Scarf_VC/

Good luck with the build

cheers Pat

A story i didn't know, but a great one, a true hero

Superb subject, Looks a really good fit up to yet davey, 

Glynn 

• 2 weeks later...

Various reasons preventing me from any modelling the last week or so, including a SERIOUS case of Man-Flu (it's a proper 'thing' apparently).

Anyway, here's where we are at, painted and assembled the cockpit. The only extra's are simple Tamiya Tape seat belts.

Fuselage halves have gone together well, a test fit has shown it's going to be tricky getting the wing in.

Photo's are a mixture of 'cheap, old compact' and 'not so cheap, DSLR', which I'm still having trouble with. 

Davey.

P9220020P9220021P9220022DSC_0003DSC_0005DSC_0007

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for kind comments people,  lots of things distracting me from modelling lately but here's where we're at the last couple of days.

Joined the upper wing half first, bit of a tight fit, especially since I got the forward bulkhead a bit skew-wiff during assembly and it fouled the wing going in!

The lower wing join to the fuselage leaves a bit to be desired, but just needs a bit of 'modelling' to put right.

Just got some lower join filling to sand and wing leading edges to clean up.

Tail-planes and rudder fitted, also fitted the upper cockpit glazing, all fitted well with little filing here and there.

DSC_0001DSC_0002DSC_0004DSC_0005DSC_0007DSC_0008DSC_0009

• Like 9

Apologies for not visiting this thread earlier Davey, however you are doing a cracking job with this build. It's great that you've both tackled and photographed the nose / fuse join in this fashion, as even though I've read many a time that this is the best method I've yet to actually see anyone do it that way (that could be me just me missing all the previous builds!). I'm glad I've checked back in with this build again. Enjoying this one. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

I'm with Rabbit Leader on the one, a bit slow to the party but liking what I see. Assembling the cockpit halves to each fuselage half before joining them seems to have worked out quite well for you, definitely something to file away for the ones in have in stock. All in all, looking good. :)

Steve.

Good morning Davey

Very good job so far ..

I agree with Stevehnz  ''assembling the cockpit halves to each fuselage half before joining them'' is the best soulution ..

Enjoy the rest of your build at this rate it should be finished soon ...

Cheers

Patrice

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, it's been a month since my last post! 

Have had a bit of 'lack of modelling mojo' lately, and it hasn't helped that I have bought myself a classic car which is a bit of a 'project' to say the least, that I've been 'fiddling' with (a 1968 Rochdale Olympic, google it!). 

I've gotten back into it now though, and have took a couple of photo's with my ailing Nikon D3100 (auto-focus intermittent).  I've started on the engines and put some paint on at last, forgetting I hadn't actually attached the engines!

Anyway, onwards and upwards, more to follow soon.

DSC_0011DSC_0013

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, DaveyGair said:

Have had a bit of 'lack of modelling mojo' lately, and it hasn't helped that I have bought myself a classic car which is a bit of a 'project' to say the least, that I've been 'fiddling' with (a 1968 Rochdale Olympic, google it!). 

Great choice Davey

Its a Porsche 911 with Northern Soul !

Yours being a late one probably has the 1500 ford engine, I believe the lotus cortina twin cam bolts straight in, if you fancy blowing the cobwebs away.

As another classic car nut, can I ask why this car ?

cheers Pat

ps good work on the kit by the way !

...and yes I had to google it up, mmmm what a nice looking wee beastie! I think the original spec engine may be enough, get to carried away with power and you'll need to "upgrade/date" a few other things. That's unless you plan to do a "Rockstar Valhalla" style exit to life at the first shape corner you come to!!

Pat you do worry me. :D

...anyway back to models, you've got a great finish to that green. Glad to see progress has resumed on this build.

5 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

I've gotten back into it now though, and have took a couple of photo's with my ailing Nikon D3100 (auto-focus intermittent).  I've started on the engines and put some paint on at last, forgetting I hadn't actually attached the engines!

Anyway, onwards and upwards, more to follow soon.

DSC_0011

Just a heads up, but Airfix has gotten some of the colour call-outs wrong. Part # D5, the central bit, where the prop shaft goes, should be painted Humbrol 85 semi-gloss black or any other semi-gloss black that you may have. The three struts can be left 56 or they can be black, too.

Chris