1/76 Airfix K6 Lorries - 11th armoured Division

BIG X

The other vehicles in the RAF emergency sets were described as K6 Crash Tenders.  There is even more dispute over their use / colour / date of service etc - so I thought lets go mad and do a bit of 'what if'.  K6s came in many different variants so I turned them into flat back lorries.  The covered one is made from 2 CMP 15cwt truck beds - stuck together - as is the canvas canopy.  The open one was scratch built from bits of evergreen and filled with stowage robbed from various PSC kits.

I enjoyed these so much that I have imminent plans for 4 of the PSC CMP kits - as the bits I used went together really nicely.

I hope you like them - here we go again...

K601.jpg

K602.jpg

K603.jpg

K604.jpg

K605.jpg

RAFF03.jpg

RAFF04.jpg

RAFF05.jpg

RAFF06.jpg

RAFF07.jpg

RAFF08.jpg

RAFF09.jpg

RAFF10.jpg

RAFF11.jpg

RAFF12.jpg

If you want to check out how I cobbled them together they are in the WIP thread here...

As always - constructive comments are most welcome and thanks for looking - Steve

• Like 20

Lovely Austins there! Has there even been a model of a Karrier K6? I used to own one about 20 years ago. Two were found on the airfield at Earls Colne and restored by us. Great fun to drive and quite a rare beast. Fully air portable too back in the day.

Steve

• Thanks 1

Fantastic job BigX.

Get it in the diorama section!

I would have missed it if I had done my usual thing of skipping past 1/76th stuff!

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the nice comments guys.  As I said - I've been 'away' - over in the GB forum - but I'm back now and I have some potentially fun builds coming up.  I'm busy choosing what to do next and I hope some of you will join me on my next little project.

22 hours ago, celt said:

Well tidy mun.:clap2:

21 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Lovely Austins there! Has there even been a model of a Karrier K6? I used to own one about 20 years ago. Two were found on the airfield at Earls Colne and restored by us. Great fun to drive and quite a rare beast. Fully air portable too back in the day.

Steve

Hey Steve I'm no expert on K6's - more of a 'best guess merchant'... :lol:

19 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Very well done BIG X 👍

Thanks Dennis - loved that MIG of yours ;)

12 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Great job Big X,lovely looking trucks....

Cheers Vince - just don't look too closely at those VERY THICK front wings - I maybe should have tried thinning them :oops:

11 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

Bravo.. 

5 hours ago, Carius said:

I agree, very well done trucks

hEY carius - thanks for that - I only wish I could have managed to make some windscreens - but it just wasn't happening on this build...

5 hours ago, Badder said:

Fantastic job BigX.

Get it in the diorama section!

I would have missed it if I had done my usual thing of skipping past 1/76th stuff!

Rearguards,

Badder

Hey Badder - I'm always tempted to leave that out of any thread titles - to lure in unsuspecting victims.  I know 1/35 or even 1/16 are regarded as 'the standard' these days - but I find the 'fiddle' and general lack of detail only spurs me on.  I'm still an AFV novice and indeed a modelling novice in general - but I'm learning new things everyday.  I may progress to 1/35 someday - but I will need to get a lot better first.

3 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Excelent dio, very good detailed, and so tiny...:goodjob:

Cheers mate 👍

Tiny indeed Francis - but 'small things amuse small minds' they say - so they're perfect for me

Thanks Everyone - Steve AKA BIG  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

I'm always tempted to leave that out of any thread titles - to lure in unsuspecting victims.  I know 1/35 or even 1/16 are regarded as 'the standard' these days - but I find the 'fiddle' and general lack of detail only spurs me on.  I'm still an AFV novice and indeed a modelling novice in general - but I'm learning new things everyday.  I may progress to 1/35 someday - but I will need to get a lot better first.

Hi Steve,

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but admiration for those who work in that scale and get a quailty finish like you. It's just way too small for my eyes, and more importantly my nerve-damaged fingers. Besides, my first 'proper' attempt at model-making was back in the late 70's with Tamiya's 1/35th SAS Jeep and so I've remained faithful to that scale and (apart from a couple of deviations) that brand. So it's the 1/35th stuff that I am naturally drawn to. I have an actual chance of emulating the many fine works displayed here. Eventually!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Nice little trucks , well done , but one small nit-pick, lorries like these should carry a L******** serial number , H******* would signify a tractor for trailer or artillery.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Andrew Jones said:

Nice little trucks , well done , but one small nit-pick, lorries like these should carry a L******** serial number , H******* would signify a tractor for trailer or artillery.

Yep we know Andrew - if you cast your eye over the WIP thread you can find out the disaster that led to these boys sporting H instead of L codes - it's a gory story.

But thanks for taking the time to spot that - it shows you have had a proper look.

Thanks for looking and commenting - Steve

• BIG X changed the title to 1/76 Airfix K6 Lorries - 11th armoured Division