1/76 Airfix Pontoon Bridge

BIG X

AIRFIX 1/76 Pontoon Bridge

The third and final element of my whimsical canal diorama was actually the first thing that came to the bench – but it was also the last to get finished in the classic Airfix GB.  Like many of us I received the original pontoon assault set as a Christmas present in the very early seventies.  I had hours of fun ‘playing war’ and when I got into this modelling lark the other year I thought – ‘wouldn’t it be great to actually build the old pontoon again and try to do it some justice’.  The build itself was easy enough – but I nearly came a cropper whilst trying to create the canal.  Here are some shots – along with a cast of thousands…

PZ0001.jpg

PZ002.jpg

PZ003.jpg

PZ004.jpg

PZ005.jpg

PZ006.jpg

PZ007.jpg

PZ008.jpg

ponta102.jpg

PZ009.jpg

PZ010.jpg

PZ011.jpg

If you want to check out all the fun & games you can find the build thread here…

Thanks for looking and I hope it brings back some fond memories of childhood - Steve

• Like 39
  • Thanks 1

That is a really nicely laid out and well finished diorama, one of the best finished of these big old Airfix kits. The armour and figures are really good too, the whole thing would work well for a high quality wargame skirmish.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys...

On ‎05‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 15:38, pdsvidioman said:

That looks great, the water in the Canal looks great. Must have a look how you did that. Paul

Hey Paul - the water was nearly the 'deal breaker' of the whole build - I sulked for a week before I figured out how to do it and even now I don't think I explained it too well :blush:

On ‎05‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 15:41, rockpopandchips said:

That is very very nice.

Cheers mate - much appreciated :D

On ‎05‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 17:32, Rob 1 said:

That is a really nicely laid out and well finished diorama, one of the best finished of these big old Airfix kits. The armour and figures are really good too, the whole thing would work well for a high quality wargame skirmish.

Well Rob - you have me sussed - I may not be a wargamer - but my inner child does love 'playing war'.  I had the pontoon as a kid - it just snaps together - this time it took a bit longer - 18 pages of WIP if I remember rightly :doh:

Cheers - Steve AKA BIG X

That's a fine looking diorama with every element beautifully finished. 

It's really good to see all the old Airfix kits brought together and incorporated into one good looking diorama. So good in fact that I've started looking for the Church, Pontoon and Windmill kits to be squirreled away for the future, as I always wanted to do a diorama and this one's definitely rekindled that idea. Imitation, they say, is the sincerest form of flattery. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/13/2018 at 5:55 PM, Mike said:

You've just jogged my memory! :boom: I had one of these as a kid and had totally forgotten! :lol: Nice job too ;)

Yep, that jogged my memory too! I didn't think I ever built my own model until my teens, but now I distinctly remember having some cheap plastic soldiers and trucks and my mother buying me this Airfix bridge kit to go with them! I must have been about 5 or 6.

Fantastic work Steve. I too will have to look into your water, I'm not sure if that's a euphamism.

Rearguards

Badder

• Thanks 1

On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 17:33, cngaero said:

That's a fine looking diorama with every element beautifully finished. 

It's really good to see all the old Airfix kits brought together and incorporated into one good looking diorama. So good in fact that I've started looking for the Church, Pontoon and Windmill kits to be squirreled away for the future, as I always wanted to do a diorama and this one's definitely rekindled that idea. Imitation, they say, is the sincerest form of flattery. 

That's very nice of you to say - I am really beginning to enjoy all sorts of kits with a 'minimal parts count' - adding a few bits to each lets me believe I'm a 'proper modeller' :lol:

On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 17:55, Mike said:

You've just jogged my memory! :boom: I had one of these as a kid and had totally forgotten! :lol: Nice job too ;)

Hey Mike - Now you've acquired your own pontoon I want to see it built and not just added to that massive stash of yours ;)

22 minutes ago, Badder said:

Yep, that jogged my memory too! I didn't think I ever built my own model until my teens, but now I distinctly remember having some cheap plastic soldiers and trucks and my mother buying me this Airfix bridge kit to go with them! I must have been about 5 or 6.

Fantastic work Steve. I too will have to look into your water, I'm not sure if that's a euphamism.

Rearguards

Badder

Hey Badder - it has certainly jogged a few memories and very happy ones for most it seems - totally inaccurate - totally fun :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again guys - this naive little build certainly seems to have struck a cord in the memories of lots of us...

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 07:57, Jason said:

That's just amazing. The water looks so realistic

The water was nearly the killer in this little 'fun' build Jason.  Suddenly the fun vanished and I spent almost a week sulking before I finally got my head in the right place - thanks to a lot of support from other BM members. 

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 13:40, PlaStix said:

That really is a superb scene all round! Fantastic modelling - especially in 1/72. Very well done. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hey Stix - I spent a lot of time convincing myself that 1/48 was the way to go especially on aircraft - until I ran out of room :doh:  Now we all know 1/35 is the way to go for 'serious' AFV work - but I've just got so much to build that 1/72 is my new chosen scale - SMALL CAN BE BEAUTIFUL - especially if your going blind like me :lol:

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 14:53, Mancunian airman said:

Its the water that does it foe me . . .

It in my mind such scenic inclusion is rare because its so difficult to get right ?

I too will be looking to see HOW

thanks for sharing

Hey Mancunian - don't look to close - it was a real PITA - I must find an easier way and if I do I promise to share...

11 hours ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Great diorama overall but the water...wow.  Completely brings the whole scene to life.

Thanks Strangely - it was a lot of fun and pain  - I am so pleased people liked the water in the end.  It was 'basically' a painted piece of card with clear glossy sticky backed plastic over the top.  I agonised over it for ages before I found the solution and it feels really good that people actually 'like' it for what it is. 

2 hours ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Everybody on the bridge does seem a little worried that you may have left a little surprise around the corner - like a King Tiger. Except for the MPs of course, they are looking the other way and planning a different way of ruining everybody's day.

Hey John - everybody on the bridge knows it is only made with a bit of plastic and they are scared they could fall into the plastic water at any moment ;)  Plastic King Tigers to follow....

Thanks Guys - Steve

• Like 1

• BIG X changed the title to 1/76 Airfix Pontoon Bridge