Scale Aircraft Modelling Sept 2018

sprue

1 hour ago, Des said:

quick flick through I am sure would have revealed the similarities to regular readers.

They are the same as I have the Wessex set and recognised it immediately, however, regardless of what it may cost for back copies I still feel it is too much and will not be buying, my choice, others can make their own.

Now back to ye olde desk for some plastic bashing.

On 10/16/2018 at 7:40 AM, Kevin Callahan said:

I don't generally have any issues with hardcopy magazines (SAM, SAvMI, etc) except for one problem. With the changing demographics of the modelling world, they all seem determined to reduce to number of 1:72 kits to just about nothing. And given the MSRP of most mags, the cost-benefit ratio to a single scale modeller like myself hasn't made sense for years. Which is not to say that those of you of the 1:48 and 1:32 persuasion shouldn't be delighted - but my 1:72 soul is not warmed by photos of larger-scale models that I will never see on my workbench. So I opted out quite some time ago. Honestly, anything I need to find out about a kit I can discover with a quick online search. 

What do you mean? 

This is a breakdown of build articles (not first looks, in the box reviews, etc.) from this month's magazines:

Scale Aircraft Modelling:

1/48: 1

1/72: 9

1/144: 1

Military Airplane International:

1/48: 2

1/72: 2

1/144: 1

Scale Aviation Modeller International:

1/16: 1

1/72: 5

Airfix Model World (aircraft articles only):

1/32: 1

1/72: 2

I'd say 1/72 scale modellers have nothing to complain about (1/32 would this month!), but then I'm a 1/48-only modeller. In reality, the perception that 'our' scale is under-represented is a function of the hobby being rather wide and our interests rather narrow.

Jon

Jon, I only have 6 build reviews listed in the latest SAM (V40 #8). I can't give a reasonable comparison to the other articles in that mag since I don't track anything other than 1:72. I should qualify my comments, in that they are my impressions only, and your mileage may vary. To me, 6 build reviews just don't justify the $11 price tag, which is the hardcopy cost here in the US. Again, just my opinion. 

My statistics were from Vol 40 #9.

Your comment on value for money is fair enough, but part of your original claim was that '[modelling magazines] all seem determined to reduce to number of 1:72 kits to just about nothing.' That's patently false and 1/72 is still the best represented scale in a number of magazines.

Jon

• Like 2