15 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good evening Tony

Welcome aboard

Best regards

Patrice

Thanks Patrice. I'm thinking of spreading my wings a bit and building an axis aircraft as well as a Fleet Air Arm one - maybe Operation Pedestal offers some possibilities. I quite like look of some of the Italian planes, but I need to do some research! I have time...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Thanks Patrice. I'm thinking of spreading my wings a bit and building an axis aircraft as well as a Fleet Air Arm one - maybe Operation Pedestal offers some possibilities. I quite like look of some of the Italian planes, but I need to do some research! I have time...

Good evening Tony

The good thing with this GB is the very large choice of very interesting subjects ...

You have plenty of time to do seome researches ..

Best Regards

Patrice

• Like 1

I think I'm going to do a double build - Sea Hurricane + SM.79 Sparviero. Maybe some kind of wheels-up diorama (flyorama?) I'm trying to find out if there are any actual historical encounters between specific FAA and RAI units that I could represent with available kits and decals. I still have time...

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

I think I'm going to do a double build - Sea Hurricane + SM.79 Sparviero. Maybe some kind of wheels-up diorama (flyorama?) I'm trying to find out if there are any actual historical encounters between specific FAA and RAI units that I could represent with available kits and decals. I still have time...

Check Operation Pedestal air operations. Several Sea Hurricanes from Victorious and Indomitable engaged Sparvieri among other Axis bombers thrown against the convoy.

Edit: SAM November 2016, Malta on a pedestal, lists SM.79sil:s 254-3, 254-7 and 280-6 specifically as damaged by fighters. Which decals do you have?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Which decals do you have?

None, yet. I fancied one of those plain all over paint jobs rather than one of those fiendishly tricky camo schemes the Italians seemed to enjoy putting on their planes. I like the look of this one (Casper decals), which was certainly flying during Pedestal, but I need to find out which FAA units it might have come up against.

spacer.png

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Suddenly, all the Revell 1:72 Ju 88 A-4 kits #04672 appear to have vanished and become unobtainable :angry:. Three A-1:s don't help me at all.

PPPPPPP

• Haha 1

On 07/07/2020 at 23:17, FortyEighter said:

Good Evening Patrice,

I thought that I had signed up for this but....

Please add me to the list with a 23 Squadron Mosquito (1/48 Tamiya) based in Malta.

Regards

Mike

Welcome aboard Mike 

See you in a few weeks for the start of this Gb ..

Best Regards

Patrice

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Look what arrived this weekend.

spacer.png

:wub:

Another choice in The Stash is this:

spacer.png

:wub: 

Build 'em all!

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Wez said:

Build 'em all!

That is my intention.  :mental: 

My main concern is the tracks in both kits.  Each track link is composed of three (A9) or four (Grant) parts.   Building them is going to be hugely time consuming and tedious. 

There may be an alternative for the Grant by using resin tracks from Accurate Armour.  I've had some good results using AA track packs. However, there is no alternative like that for the A9.  Thankfully the kit includes a jig which could speed things up slightly.

Would it be acceptable to start work on the tracks early? 

2 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Gotta be less than 25%!

I think I can do at least one kit for this GB. Probably vehicles, be they armoured or soft-skinned. I've got a good selection of British, German, Italian and American subjects to choose from.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, klr said:

I think I can do at least one kit for this GB. Probably vehicles, be they armoured or soft-skinned. I've got a good selection of British, German, Italian and American subjects to choose from.

An Italian tank would be very welcome! 

On 02/08/2020 at 18:39, Enzo Matrix said:

My main concern is the tracks in both kits.  Each track link is composed of three parts.   Building them is going to be hugely time consuming and tedious. 

However, there is no alternative like that for the A9.  Thankfully the kit includes a jig which could speed things up slightly.

On 02/08/2020 at 18:42, Wez said:

Gotta be less than 25%!

I had a go at the tracks for the A9 today.  It was not a pleasant experience. :(   The plastic does not seem to like polystyrene cement.  It only just tolerates superglue. 

The jig is okay but because of the springy nature of the plastic, the parts simply will not stay in the jig, making it impossible to build a decent length of track at once.

It took me an hour to build eight track links.  There are 80 links per side!  :yikes:   The tracks could take as long as the rest of the kit...  :shrug:  

• Sad 2

On 7/14/2020 at 9:29 AM, TonyOD said:

None, yet. I fancied one of those plain all over paint jobs rather than one of those fiendishly tricky camo schemes the Italians seemed to enjoy putting on their planes. I like the look of this one (Casper decals), which was certainly flying during Pedestal, but I need to find out which FAA units it might have come up against.

spacer.png

There are a couple of options for Fleet Air Arm Aces Flying Sea Hurricanes shooting down S79 during Pedestal.

One reasonably safe bet:-

• Commander JM Bruen, CO 800 NAS HMS Indomitable Operation Pedestal Aug-1942.  12.08.42.  Ju88 Destroyed, S79 Destroyed, S84 Shared Destroyed, Ju88 Probably Destroyed.  Hawker Sea Hurricane Ia Z4550/G.

One to cause controversy:-

• Lt RJ Cork, 880 NAS HMS Indomitable Operation Pedestal Aug-194.  12.08.42. Ju88 Destroyed, Bf110 Destroyed, 2x S-79s Destroyed, Ju88 shared Destroyed, R2001 Damaged (received DSO).  Hawker Sea Hurricane I Z4642/7*K.  This is a bit of conjecture on my part and would need confirmation by the real experts..

One requiring more research:-

• Lt Commander RA Brabner, 801 NAS HMS Eagle.  Operation Harpoon, June 1942.  14.06.42.  Mc.200 Destroyed, S.79 Destroyed, Ju88 shared Destroyed, Ju.88 Damaged, Ba99, [Cant z1007?] Damaged, S.79 Probable, Sardinia.  Hawker Sea Hurricane I (unidentified)
  • 801 NAS HMS Eagle.  Operation Pedestal, Aug 1942.  12.08.42.  S.79 & S.84 Destroyed.  Hawker Sea Hurricane I (Unidentified)

Something a bit different

• SLt Cotching, ‘A’ Flight 806 NAS HMS Indomitable Operation Pedestal Aug-1942.  12.08.40 S.79 Destroyed, Re.2001 Destroyed Grumman Martlet MkII AM968/8M

Hope this is of interest..  Of course there are more.  If you asked for non Pedestal Fulmar V S79 then that’s a different proposition entirely, I might even be able to identify a unit on that one..

Hope this helps..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Grey Beema, that is some in-depth stuff for me to consider. It's probably too tall an order to depict a specific FAA aircraft and a specific RA aircraft that actually came up against each other during Pedestal but I might be able to come up with a credible pairing (that's within my iffy painting skills!)

Got me thinking with the Fulmar though... I have at least one in the stash...

On 8/2/2020 at 7:54 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

An Italian tank would be very welcome! 

The Italeri (ex-ESCI) M13/40 will be my first kit for this GB so. I had hoped to squeeze it into the "Kit you built as a kid GB", but that's not now going to happen.

I have a couple of Italian armoured cars as well (Italeri molds), but maybe I should keep these for some future ocassion(s). Maybe I could build the Semovente 75/18, which has the same chassis as the M13/40 ... and which I didn't build as a kid.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to slightly change my entry for this GB to a 23 Sqn Mosquito based in Italy rather than Malta - that means I can build a FB MkVI rather than a NF MkII.

See you all next month, meanwhile back to Vietnam and Phantoms.

Mike

• Like 2