HO-OO Airfix Village Church

BIG X

AIRFIX HO/OO Village Church

Howdy folks - this is my first venture into the diorama region of the forum.  I have recently been having a massive amount of fun in the Airfix: The Golden Years GB…

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/626-airfix-the-golden-years-gb/

…however I know a lot of folk don’t tend to look at the group builds – unless it is of special interest to their ‘field of expertise’.  The GB is covering all aspects of ‘old Airfix’ which includes a lot of buildings and the like – so – I thought I would pop some finished items here, in case they are of interest to anyone in the future.

May I firstly show you my churchyard build.  This was the first element of a ‘proper’ diorama I had planned and I’m a complete diorama novice – so please be kind…

CHURCH_132.jpg

CHURCH_133.jpg

CHURCH_135.jpg

CHURCH_136.jpg

CHURCH_137.jpg

...it lights up too...

CHURCH_150.jpg

CHURCH_151.jpg

CHURCH_152.jpg

CHURCH_153.jpg

CHURCH_155.jpg

CHURCH_156.jpg

CHURCH_159.jpg

CHURCH_160.jpg

If you want to check out all the fun I had along the way you can find the build thread here…

Thanks for looking and if you have any useful tips I could use for future builds – please feel free to comment.

I hope you like it and happy modelling - Steve

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the encouragement chaps...

On ‎05‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 11:47, Vince1159 said:

What a fantastic job,love the night shots....

Thanks Vince - I nearly didn't make any windows - but after I did it seemed only appropriate to put a light inside - if you haven't looked at the WIP thread then you should when you get 5 minutes - it's hilarious - let's just say I'm no electrical wizard :whistle:

On ‎05‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 17:34, Rob 1 said:

That's super, I love it.

Thanks Rob - my first real building and it was fun too - I'm on the look out for more now and might even have a go at scratch building some in the future.

6 hours ago, cngaero said:

Very impressive build. The finished model and diorama is exceptional. 

Praise indeed sir - Thank you.

8 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Well done, Steve. That's very impressive. Nice photography too.

Hi Vinnie - I would love to say I have a flash camera / good lighting / proper mini studio stand - but...  it's all just done on the desk with my i-phone and the light above my head.  One day...

Thanks again everyone - Steve AKA BIG X

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, BIG X said:

Thanks Vince - I nearly didn't make any windows - but after I did it seemed only appropriate to put a light inside - if you haven't looked at the WIP thread then you should when you get 5 minutes - it's hilarious - let's just say I'm no electrical wizard :whistle:

Those stain glass windows are stunning Big X :yes:....

• Thanks 1

Hi Steve,

Damn. I overlooked the HOOHA scale.  So here I am looking at tiny things again!😁

I only have a vague idea of how big the whole thing is, so I would appreciate a can of Wadworth's 6X in the photo so I can get a sense of the scale of the thing. I mean, how big are those stained glass windows?

I really like the idea of this diorama being a 'tile' in a much larger one - I assume it'll include the truck diorama as well. If that's the case you're going to create an object of beauty to rival the Model Village at Bourton on the Water!

Great stuff.

I only have one tip, and that's maybe to consider making latex moulds of the kit parts. Then you can cast your own walls in plaster and either use them 'as is' or adapt them for other buildings. That's if you see yourself making more in the future of course.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Steve,

Damn. I overlooked the HOOHA scale.  So here I am looking at tiny things again!😁

I only have a vague idea of how big the whole thing is, so I would appreciate a can of Wadworth's 6X in the photo so I can get a sense of the scale of the thing. I mean, how big are those stained glass windows?

Badder

Hi Badder - I couldn't find a tin of Wadworth's 6X or a tin of Humbrol - which seems a pretty standard measure of size - I hope a little pot of Tamiya will suffice...

badder.jpg

WOO/HOO Scale is approximately 1/76 - hope you like it...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Hi Badder - I couldn't find a tin of Wadworth's 6X or a tin of Humbrol - which seems a pretty standard measure of size - I hope a little pot of Tamiya will suffice...

Wow, way smaller than I thought!

I'm even more impressed than I was. What on earth did you use for the windows then?

Tamiya flat earth is one of my favourites BTW. Not as good as 6X, but close! :drink:

(Kiddies, DON'T drink paint. It's only for those of us who've built up an immunity over the years)

Rearguards,

Badder

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Badder said:

Wow, way smaller than I thought!

I'm even more impressed than I was. What on earth did you use for the windows then?

Tamiya flat earth is one of my favourites BTW. Not as good as 6X, but close! :drink:

(Kiddies, DON'T drink paint. It's only for those of us who've built up an immunity over the years)

Rearguards,

Badder

The windows are all slightly different sizes - it took a fair bit of measuring.  I used a sort of acetate that is slightly 'milky' - so not completely transparent - but enough for the figures to show from the outside without it being lit and not be overwhelmed when a light is put behind them...

badder2.jpg

these are approx 5mm x 11mm each...

• Like 4

Well thank's a lot Steve,I showed the missus(who loved it) and now she want's me to build a one  covered in snow for a Christmas decoration

complete with snow and light's!

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Well thank's a lot Steve,I showed the missus(who loved it) and now she want's me to build a one  covered in snow for a Christmas decoration

Funny you should say that...  My missus has asked 'can you get model snow'...  I guess it could look quite festive :santa:

10 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Do let me know if you are mad enough to try this festive project - I'll happily post you a set of windows.

• Like 1

• BIG X changed the title to HO-OO Airfix Village Church