72nd Kittyhawk Mk.III (P-40K Longtail) Boxart

petr@SpecialHobby

Alan, thank you. My reply has been posted to the topic, and I will post it also here:

----

Hello to you all,

First, thanks for all your comments on the boxart. I have to point out they are very useful for me so I will be able to design the decals so that

all the colours and markings would be as close to the reality as only possible. I think I might begin designing the sheet and colour schemes sometimes

during early Autumn (the kit being scheduled for December) and I will be extremely happy to be able to cooperate with Alan or any other RNZAF expert

here, do believe me.

Secondly, the artist has based his painting, besides other sources, also on these two images (below). The colour side profile seems to have originated from Peter Mossong's

website, although I cannot find it there now. Both the picture and the photo mention that the camo was not Olive Drab, but Foliage Green instead. If the level of research

increased since the time the side profile had been created, we have no problem in making our colour schemes in other colours.

And yes, I can see now the controversy in the Roundel and fuselage letters colours, however, the size of the "dot" seems to be quite okay.

Lastly, the Japanese Zero the Kitty is chasing - please take it as some kind of artistic licence. It adds to the overal atmosphere of the art, though not being very accurate from the historic point of view.

Thanks again and I hope we could cooperate further on the kit.

Petr

NZ3061.jpg

FE-A+KNZ3061.GIF

A note on the fuselage Red Dot - Just now I am looking at the photo in Darby's book (RNZAF The First Decade, page 75, about A5 size picture, nicely reproduced in the book)

and the colour of the fuselage roundel centre does look a bit different from the Roundel Blue, so I assume it may well have been in Red.