IL-2 Shturmovik

1 hour ago, Roger Newsome said:

I think you just might Jason, some fella from Texas. 😁

Oh, that chap! Mind you, you have to take everything he says with a grain of salt. Believe me, I know. However, I've heard his books on the Lavochkin fighters, the Tu-2, and post-war Soviet strategic bombers aren't too bad. Of course, I do hope my little tome does prove of some use to you! As I recall, I do talk about the Academy kit (which I've built) in a bit of detail.

Best Regards,

Jason

18 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Oh, that chap! Mind you, you have to take everything he says with a grain of salt. Believe me, I know. However, I've heard his books on the Lavochkin fighters, the Tu-2, and post-war Soviet strategic bombers aren't too bad. Of course, I do hope my little tome does prove of some use to you! As I recall, I do talk about the Academy kit (which I've built) in a bit of detail.

Best Regards,

Jason

Funnily enough I was looking at the Eduard 1/72 Lavochkin La-7 so I might just have to check that book out.

The Shturmovik book I've read from cover to cover and dipped back into lots of times, so yes, I've found it very useful and interesting. I think I'm going to go for the "ball" scheme when I reach the painting stage.

Edited by Roger Newsome
Spelling
  • Like 1

Nice! Looks like you've gotten through the fiddliest part of the construction. I just call that part the wing centre-section. It was present on the real aircraft, with the outer wings being attached to it. I had a friend who used to work on an offshore rig in the Gulf of Mexico; I think I'll stick with making models and writing.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Nice! Looks like you've gotten through the fiddliest part of the construction. I just call that part the wing centre-section. It was present on the real aircraft, with the outer wings being attached to it. I had a friend who used to work on an offshore rig in the Gulf of Mexico; I think I'll stick with making models and writing.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason. I'm pretty impressed with how it is going together so far but I don't want to get overconfident, the wings aren't on yet. 🤔

21 minutes ago, Christer A said:

That's quite the different view from you porthole compared to my office...

Nice work on the Il-2 as well!

Thanks Christer.

I think we are in for some poorer weather on Monday so there might be a change in that view.

• Like 2

Today has been a good day for model building. There is still the prop, landing gear, canopy, ordnance and one or two delicate parts to add yet but I couldn't resist laying some paint down.

Mr Hobby H77, Tire Black + Mr Color Levelling Thinner onto bare plastic. I think this is the smoothest base coat of paint I have ever airbrushed.

20180909_204414

The plan was just to paint just the underside but I used up the remaining paint on sections of the upper surfaces.

20180909_204426

• Like 4

Is that black being used as a primer? No Il-2 ever had the entire undersurface black (as far as is known). There were at least two examples (I've seen the photographs) where the underside of the rear fuselage, and at least part of the underside of the horizontal tail planes were black. At any rate, nice to see you have the model mostly completed now - good, quick progress!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Learstang said:

Is that black being used as a primer?

Yes, it is Jason, well as a base coat. You can relax now, I haven't either lost the plot or unearthed a previously unknown reference. 🤣 Hopefully it will look a little more conventional by this evening.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roger Newsome said:

Yes, it is Jason, well as a base coat. You can relax now, I haven't either lost the plot or unearthed a previously unknown reference. 🤣 Hopefully it will look a little more conventional by this evening.

Good to hear, Roger - you had me worried! There is actually a profile in the ancient Profile Publications booklet on the Il-2 that shows an all-black two-seater Il-2. Unfortunately, it was just the imagination of the profile artist. Shame, really, as I'd love to do an all-black Il-2. Sadly, apparently no such aircraft ever existed. I did however build the single-seater with the black rear fuselage - rather striking, especially with the temporary white winter camouflage bands on the top of the rear fuselage.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Now that's more like a proper Il-2 underside! Regarding the wheels, the wheels were painted a medium green (a practice that has continued to this day with modern Russian Air Force aircraft). Indeed most Soviet aircraft of the Second World War had the green wheel hubs.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

A quick progress report.

I'm actually further on than this but I have been trying to upload this photo to Flickr since yesterday morning. If the WiFi is more cooperative I'll try and post another photo later this evening of how it's looking at present.

20180912_121504

• Like 7

On 9/5/2018 at 1:37 PM, Roger Newsome said:

Thank you Christer. It has since had a bit of tidying up and a couple of touch ups and is now packed in it's own little padded metal box for transporting back to work tomorrow.

Today is the day to pack everything I need, or think I will need in the travelling model box. It's always a worry I'll forget something so it's all been in and out three or times. 

IMG_6450

-Thats remind me my duty years when I was out for 6/8 monthes a year, I suffered the same problems  in those  days I had no airbrushes nor canister paints, every things by hand and  brushes, happily the Humbrol tinlets were, and still are, so  well concepted that they remain thightly closed, never one had the bad idea to open in their paint dedicated box. whatever the mishandling always approximativ in loading and unloading  a G.P truck.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Christer A said:

That does look like all those Il-2:s that I whacked down from the sky in the old Il-2 Sturmovik game from way back.

No, scratch that, this look better!

I'd say the preshade turned out excellent.

Thanks very much Christer. Still having problems with the WiFi but hopefully I'll be able to upload an update today.

1 hour ago, IPMS19 said:

-Thats remind me my duty years when I was out for 6/8 monthes a year, I suffered the same problems  in those  days I had no airbrushes nor canister paints, every things by hand and  brushes, happily the Humbrol tinlets were, and still are, so  well concepted that they remain thightly closed, never one had the bad idea to open in their paint dedicated box. whatever the mishandling always approximativ in loading and unloading  a G.P truck.

No problems with Tamiya and Mr Hobby jars so far. The problem I have is packing stuff I don't need and leaving behind stuff I do, in this case the green I need for the wheels.

11 minutes ago, Learstang said:

That paint scheme looks very nice! What colour did you use for the green? It looks very good for the Soviet AMT-4 Green.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks very much Jason.

I was wondering if anyone would ask that question. 😂 Well.... having been round the numerous discussions and opinions online several times I decided upon a bold course of action. I looked at the paints I have and picked what I thought was the closest to the drawings in your book. 😉

And the winner was ..... Mr Hobby H58 Interior Green. 

It looks to be an excellent match for the Soviet colour. For my models, I use Testors Model Master Interior Green, so it seems Interior Green is a good choice (that makes me wonder if some of the other 'Interior Greens' would match, like Humbrol, Tamiya, Vallejo, etc.).

Regards,

Jason

I was out here last night looking through the right-hand of the two white bags for the black bag that contained the discarded transparent sprue that still held the transparency for the port wing.

20180916_083936

Found it!!!!! 😁 it's a good job when the garbage compactor broke it never got repaired. 

• Like 5