Scratchbuilt 1/72 Flick-Reinig Apteroid, 1911

From nine years ago, another pioneer machine.

I saw a sketch of the the Flick-Reining Apteroid (apteron means literally no-wing in the language of Pericles) in a yellowed-paged book titled “Airplanes of the World”, by Dawydoff and Rolfe. Years went by until a post on the Aerodrome forum shed more light on the matter. Not that a 3 view appeared, mind you, but just a blurry photograph and patent papers, for which nevertheless I am immensely grateful.

Using those abundant references I concocted a 3 view and finally decided to build the model.

Now, it may be “Apteroid” –wingless- by name, but believe me, that didn’t sound right when I had to make the varied flying surfaces, which were double-surfaced as per patent description. Of course this model involved some speculation, but that’s the only way to deal with these very arcane machines that surely deserve a place in history (and the shelf).

01.jpg

02.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

• Like 18

2 hours ago, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

This one could easily fit into the category now known as 'Steam Punk'!!

Now, HG, you might have started something there! Scratchbuilt Steampunk - it's definitely a niche waiting to be filled...

Jon

• Like 1

15 hours ago, invidia said:

Did it fly??  Enjoying this photo essay of early aircraft you have built, some I have never heard of, like this one.  Model is stunning as usual.

The Illustrated London News of November 30th, 1912, states that the plane made successful trial flights from Tempelhof field near Berlin.

Since I made this model (9 years ago) I found new (not good) photos of the plane (of which it was only one image circulating at the time) and discovered other details on it (sigh).

Cheers

Edited by Moa

13 hours ago, Jonners said:

Now, HG, you might have started something there! Scratchbuilt Steampunk - it's definitely a niche waiting to be filled...

Jon

Perhaps a red and white ASR version? heh heh!

Good to catch up at Farnborough and I watched In British Skies the other day and saw one of your helicopters in action and Cath the Winch Wench in action - nice to put a story to your faces.