1/48 Hph XB-70A Its finally COMPLETED!

Sometimes I don't know if dedication is quite the word I would use. With what this piece of resin and fibreglass monstrosity cost it would have been nice to be a tad more accurate in some respects. I can understand production limitations and small batch numbers can cause errors to creep in. But some of these are just wow. If this had been a vac I don't think I would be near as cranky as I have been. Oh well, press on I must. If you do happen to make a PDF scan I would be forever in your debt. Always wanted to try and make my own photo-etch. I figure I can do it cuz I ain't never not done it. Not often I get to use a triple negative,🤔. Speaking of saturday night and drinking, I hear a big tall G&T calling my name. Until next time Gents, stay tuned for more exciting adventures.

Edited by LorenSharp
  • Like 4

At the back I've finished the lower bypass vents and weathered  the section that was made from titanium. The area just ahead of that weathered slightly with pastels mixed to give an oily stained appearance.

30876271537_79445f5e43_b.jpg

I used a mechanical pencil to highlight the panel lines.

• Like 7

Hello LS,

It's comfortable to know that some kind of masochism is not confined to CC castle !

Great build and corrections, and yes dedication seem to be THE word !!

Congratulations ! :mike:

And now a 1/48 Seamaster...

Really amazing !!

Sincerey.

CC

• Like 1

Awesome! The Great White Beast is being tamed one piece at a time. Looking fantastic, Loren.

Having seen how good the tail underside looks with those vents open I shall HAVE to do that with my 'baby' XB-70.

Spent some time at Telford yesterday, but it was really only a shopping and collection visit. Hardly looked at any of the display tables and had decided before I went that I wouldn't take any pics. Did see Airfix's latest 24th scale release - the Grumman Hellcat - but it holds absolutely no interest for me. Managed to get two of the four items on my shopping list but doubt if I'll go back there again on the first day as it was loud, tiresome and far too crowded to enjoy a browse. Possibly Sunday will be quieter so I shall try that next year. Fortunately the two items I failed to acquire are easy to get online at a sensible price. Some of the second hand kit prices in the show were appallingly high! Mind you, the HpH and Zoukei Mura stand had some pretty shocking numbers after the £ sign, too! 🙂

Hmmm.... a big Valkyrie, a big BUFF AND a big Seamaster? I've got it! You have a large glass fronted warehouse nearby your house and are working on making it into a 'scaled down' museum for your local community and surrounding area - that must be it... isn't it? 😉

Cheers

Kev

• Like 1

Sounds like you had a pretty good time at Telfords  Kev,I'm envious😫 I'll make it there one of these Centuries. I't been a tussle CC but I am beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel, oh wait sorry just another train coming. I was deciding whether to aP6M Seamaster or an R3Y Tradewind, I had more research on the Seamaster and then I got a gander at TomProberts work on his 1/32 Shack and the "plank on rib" construction and that tipped the balance in the Seamsters favour. THat I'll start probably in the Spring.

For now the Great White Beast.

I'm letting everything dry and harden for a day or so then wrangle the intake shafts in and get the intakes themselves sorted out so they are perpendicular to the wing as designed. With kind assistance from Kev, I'm going to attempt to replace part of the engine assembly with Self made photo-etch. Now that winter has finally arrived there may be a delay until warmer weather prevails in getting that done because of rather nasty chemicals. Until then stock nozzles will do, won't be difficult to swap out when the time comes.

Edited by LorenSharp

I didn't realise it either until I caught a close up on a video of  an early take off  and inflight. so I thought thats something different to add that I've not seen before. And after doing it I can see why. 

Now the REAL fun begins. After much thought and experimentation and a lot of error, if decided on the KISS principle in fixing the intakes. Making a bridge to pry the intake walls to a perpendicular orientation to the wing either using brass plate or .040 plastic card

proved to be more work that should be necessary. Soooo sitting and staring scratching ones chin and Numerous tall G&Ts,not to mention lots of cursing the modelling Gods, I had the AHA! Eureka moment. a simple slice of .060 card to fill the gap and pry the wall into it's proper place.

45001409905_884fa36654_b.jpg

44097911710_7be03bef9c_b.jpg

Of course after that I smacked my forehead and said DOH!

• Like 5

But once more the Modeling Gods weren't quite favoring me except to say " Lets see what we can toss at him Now! Mating the lower portion to the wing you guessed it... a problem. Because I cut the outer wings to attach them in a drooped position caused the lower portion of the wing to buckle and bow. I could use plastic card to fill the gap but the wing wouldn't be flat, that just wouldn't do. As a wise man once told me  " Invention.....is a Mother, when its a Necessity. Since the wing is hollow I stuffed thick cloth to gently push the wing apart enough to glue the lower section on. Because it's resin a mixture of 2 part quick setting epoxy and CA and clamping the exhaust section until set,about 12 hours. Then it was a simple matter of taking white putty to fill the small imperfections down the length.

45001410065_16086dece3_b.jpg

44097911540_1421af028d_b.jpg

45001409835_c8bd40b083_b.jpg

44097911630_d64a5a0132_b.jpg

• Like 5

Ok - I now have a vision of you strapped to the Great White Beast as it glides across the ceiling summoning your fellow modellers to join the madness! 🙂

Holy Moley - 2 Kilos!??! Time to dig out the Skyhook and some wire cable to hang that baby! 😉

Great work on getting the engine pod and intakes fitted and fared in.

Kev

• Like 1

Not exactly a walk in the park woody,but it has been fun. Had I known what this build would have entailed I would have constructed differently,to make life a tad easier and maybe better looking. Either way it has been an quite the edumacation. :drink: