1/48 Hph XB-70A Its finally COMPLETED!

I have a feeling that with all the milliput and white putty I'm adding to this endeavour I may just have to call myself "Colonel Bondo" ( Starts whistling  Colonel Bogey...Bondo March) and enhancing the structural integrity of the ceiling for hanging when done.

Kev I think you should try your hand at the Valkyrie you have in your stash  it would be outstanding.. Personally I think we should all get together and form our own B-70 Wing with all these wee beasties being built.. Of course the General would have to have the rank of Air Marshall.

• Haha 1

I hope I get the new switch for my airbrush compressor tomorrow and get it repaired.Then I can give everything a coat to see what else needs further attention. Stay tuned next time for more exciting tales.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Kev I think you should try your hand at the Valkyrie you have in your stash  it would be outstanding.. Personally I think we should all get together and form our own B-70 Wing with all these wee beasties being built.. Of course the General would have to have the rank of Air Marshall.

Oh no... that one is way down the line right now. I'll admit it IS tempting to start it, but I have a pile of things I have to do for others first! My mojo is a little off-kilter right now. I keep looking at things but not DOING them! Must be old age 😉

I have been getting in a lot of research for some of my future projects, though. Several interesting dioramas and groups that are pretty much sorted in reference and research terms. Some of them will require some extra purchases, though, so Telford cannot arrive soon enough 🙂

Just finished checking one group for a VF-84 diorama (Tamiya 48th Tomcat, Academy 72nd Phantom, Academy 72nd Crusader and Sword 72nd Fury) which will be entitled "From Vagabonds to Pirates to Film Stars - a timeline of VF-84" and will have the Tomcat on deck with the others in flight. Should be fun.

Your big Valkyrie is looking good. That's a hell of a lot of work, though! I'll tune in again tomorrow to see what exciting new adventures you have for us.

Cheers

Kev

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

45326232501_096f80986c_z.jpg

Yay, wonderful work @LorenSharp!

2 hours ago, modelman182 said:

My mojo is a little off-kilter right now. I keep looking at things but not DOING them! Must be old age 😉

No Kev, it’s an integral part of the creativity (your internal subconscious process of compiling an impressions) and not an aging 🙃 Before you do something, you’ll need to see something, forget it, remember it (in most cases it looks like a new idea) and finally, do! Not so romantic, isn’t it?

Also I think that the mojo has an logarithmic fading curve... Enough mathematics 🤔

Cheers! 🤝

• Haha 1

I understand the off kilter bit. After perusing some other builds and works in progress I think I may have an idea for a build for the new year. Research had been done ages ago. Just needed to work up the courage to take the giant leap. Will have to increase my plastic stock though. This project will be strictly from scratch. Nothing like the happy madness. Think big jet powered seaplane. 😉  But first I must finish the great white beast.

Edited by LorenSharp
spelling
  • Like 1

I would like to make it to Telford one of these years in addition to a nice pub crawl. Save my pennies and convince my significant other that its a museum tour she likes those and this is a bit of research. I think i have my work cut out for me but then again I could be asking for a frying pan up side of the head too. Divining the female mind is daunting at the best of times. 

Edited by LorenSharp
correction
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2018 at 11:35 PM, LorenSharp said:

I would like to make it to Telford one of these years in addition to a nice pub crawl. Save my pennies and convince my significant other that its a museum tour she likes those and this is a bit of research. I think i have my work cut out for me but then again I could be asking for a frying pan up side of the head too. Divining the female mind is daunting at the best of times. 

There arn't that many "pubs" near to the Telford convention centre.....I think there is a toby carvary type place, a wetherspoons and something that passes for a nightclub there.....best option is head to Shrewsbury for a good pub crawl...

• Like 1

On 10/15/2018 at 11:35 PM, LorenSharp said:

That should be easy, Loren. Book you and your significant other a fortnight that covers the SMW weekend. Hire a car for the fortnight (I trust she drives?) and book a hotel in Shrewsbury or Telford or the surrounding areas (but if you want Telford you will need to book at least a year in advance as the hotels there fill up for SMW very early indeed!). Then show her the results of a Google or TripAdvisor search of Shropshire Museums. Close to Telford you'll find the Ironbridge Museum and a Victorian Village and within easy reach is RAF Cosford's Museum and there are more in Shrewsbury. Plan 1 - arrive, settle in, tour the area until Saturday, get her to drop you at the International Centre while she goes off to Ironbridge or Shrewsbury, repeat on Sunday, enjoy the rest of the holiday in the area - see? Sorted! 🙂 Now all you need is a PILE of money and well-prepared credit cards - hee hee.... 😉

On 10/15/2018 at 11:27 PM, LorenSharp said:

This project will be strictly from scratch. Nothing like the happy madness. Think big jet powered seaplane.

Ooohhh - I hope that's gonna be a 32nd scale Martin Seamaster (along with the Convair Sea Dart!). That should keep you busy for a decade or so.... 🙂

Kev

• Like 2

And to add further impetus (if such a thing were needed) to my XB-70 build plans Hannants emailed me today to say they have these back in stock:

ARPEA7210.jpg

It would have been rude NOT to order a set - so I did! 🙂

Kev

• Like 3

See Kev I told you! You are being  summoned. You must build it and the parts they will come!On travel, We will have to save our pennies for a while, but never fear!A visit to Telford London and the UK is at the of our Bucket list.

The seaplane won't be 1/32 but will be 1/48 THAT I can manage. But that as they say is a chapter for another time. right now doing correction work to the Great White Beastie. Pictures soon to follow.

• Like 1

Of course I just had a wild and crazy thought( no  surprise there) I was looking at that Photoetch set thinking....those would look really great if it was in 1/48...get set... photocopy and enlarge....create new set from that....easy peasey...NO I've done enough mods... must... not.... succumb... steady on.. stay the course....finish the plane. oh well, like I said... crazy... right?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Of course I just had a wild and crazy thought( no  surprise there) I was looking at that Photoetch set thinking....those would look really great if it was in 1/48...get set... photocopy and enlarge....create new set from that....easy peasey...NO I've done enough mods... must... not.... succumb... steady on.. stay the course....finish the plane. oh well, like I said... crazy... right?

I can always scan my set when it arrives and send a re-scaled (1/48th) document to you - just trying to be helpful, you know.... and, of course, perpetuating the madness that is typified by our AMS. hee hee 😉

The seaplane won't be 1/32 but will be 1/48 THAT I can manage. But that as they say is a chapter for another time. right now doing correction work to the Great White Beastie. Pictures soon to follow.

Even at 1/48th the Seamaster would be another 'beast'. I shall await that future chapter with anticipation.

See Kev I told you! You are being  summoned. You must build it and the parts they will come!On travel, We will have to save our pennies for a while, but never fear!A visit to Telford London and the UK is at the of our Bucket list.

I shall resist... I must resist... oh-oh... Borg! Resistance might just be futile!!!! 😉 Hope to meet up with you at SMW when you do make it over to the UK.

Cheers

Kev

• Like 1

Just caught up with this build. It's a beast. The postman has literally just delivered an Italeri kit so I'll be looking at this build and others on here for pointers when I come to build mine. Look forward to seeing further progress.

Regards,

Mark

Welcome to the growing group of merry makers watching this great white beast grow Mark. Pull up a chair and get comfortable. It's a ride.😯 Thanks for the offer Kev . I just might take you up on that. So, since its been a quiet 2 weeks its time to shake things up a tad.

While waiting for new switch to come in for my air compressor I did a close review (yes, That I should have done BEFORE starting this) and comparing various photos both new and old I found a few inaccuracies in both profile and parts.Add to that I decided on the fly to go back and do some more additions not originally planned for.

43880974540_a523fa6a34_b.jpg

Upper Bypass Vents in and a little bit of filler to take care of gaps.

Now since I did the upper I thought.... well why not. Lets do the Lower Vents too. Most pictures in flight show them open

45698974281_7755cb4c17_b.jpg

I don't know what was more of a pain cutting out the holes and grinding down the resin to a thin enough thickness

45648198082_514d61e6f3_b.jpg

or cutting out all the little panels and making little tiny wedges to prop them on.

43880960280_ee65cb6ab7_b.jpg

If you're wondering, that's 18 panels,18 holes, and 36 wedges. thank god there are no birdies, eagles or sand traps for par.

• Like 6

I think I have come up with a partial solution to the nasty twist down the length of the intake system. I can't correct it totally but I can make it less noticable.

But construction will be in reverse order. Instead of putting the intakes on the wing then attaching the lower portion. I'm going to fix the intakes to the lower portion then adding a bridge above to spread the opening apart just enough to make it perpendicular to the wing.

First though fix the inside of the lower portion.

45648198142_dbbfd5db14_b.jpg

This is the original with twist. It's hard to see but at the opening there is a "cup" instead of being level all the way back. Time to build a new floor.

45326231711_72995f7dd2_b.jpg

45326230721_c43c632277_b.jpg

I used card to level out the Cup. And adding very thin Black card on top making it easier to see what is going on.

43880960090_95a21f2393_b.jpg

Filled and smoothed.

Edited by LorenSharp
Image Change
  • Like 3

OMG! Your masochism has been TOTALLY confirmed! 😉

Wonderful work to re-engineer the under gondola. I'm in awe of your dedication to this great beast.

Just say the word and I shall supply you with the PE scan in 48th and PDF printable format.

Great solution for the intake floor, but a load of work (like I need to tell YOU that!??).

More please. 🙂

Kev

Getting heartily drunk for a Saturday night  :drink:

• Haha 3

Yep thats what they called it back then. 30 ft behind the pilot and he sat 20 feet up. The pilots gave it the nickname of Cecil, for the seasick sea serpent ( A cartoon Loooong before some of you children were born🤔). Sitting in the cockpit  above and ahead of the nose wheel oleo made for an extreme bobbing motion that had a tendency to make one nauseous.

• Haha 3