1/48 Hph XB-70A Its finally COMPLETED!

This is going to be one large white whale.So much white as a matter of fact I wanted to do the finish as it was presented out of the factory in 1964 before flying to Edwards AFB for flight testing.  At the rear around the engines was a natural Titanium. After the 4th flight in Oct of 1964 because of flying around Mach1.4 most of the paint peeled off. They put the paint on too thick and the flexing caused it to peel. After a stint in the paint shed it was painted all white as it looks today.

43903212695_5301628a6d_b.jpg

43903213495_72ba8158de_b.jpg

43903214295_b7bb785141_b.jpg

I gave the rear a coat of stainless steel and then used some light passes of pale aluminum to highlight the metal. when that had dried I gave it a coat of Klear of as I call it Future Floor wax. 

After that a wash of Burnt Umber and Black acrylics to bring out the panel lines. Followed with some orange and brown pastel powders to dirty it up.

Edited by LorenSharp
Historical correction
  • Like 4

After a lot of investigation and research ( to which there isn't much detail on the workings) and a few G&T's to get my courage up for the first cut. I'm going to remove the outer folding wing panels then try to recreate the folding mechanism. There  are a few photos out there showing the wing folded in flight from a distance or a close-up of the underneath, but not the top. I did find two during the construction phase at the back and  from the side. So this is going to be a hail mary shot.

29584245097_edf7a3d925_b.jpg

Right, so on with the cut. The panel lines don't really give an indication of the separation lines. If I cut out like a tooth like pattern that doesn't seem logical for little wind resistance at Mach+ speeds. Not to mention heat which cruising at Mach 3. The photos do show a pivoting apparatus like a common door hinge covered by flat panels. Its those flat panels that have stymied me for months. The old AMT/Ertl B-70 had a noticeable  bump and lump down the top that I can't find on any photo. Just a long black serrated strip.

Edited by LorenSharp
Spelling
  • Like 2

The wings, like the rest of the model is a resin/fibreglass composite. To prevent accidental cutting or worse, I've taken good old fashioned Dymo  label making strips side by side with just enough space to cut.

30651698808_ee4f3c04f9_b.jpg

This will prevent my shaky old hands from mucking up the works and having to do a lot of repair work.

• Like 4

There are three good reasons why I chose to do this. 1- It makes it easy to man-handle an already enormous model on my bench.2- I can put it on a shelf while I work on other parts or as a display when done. 3-It looks waay too cool,muscle flexing like. Now that I think of it there is a 4th reason, I'm bonkers enough to give it a go.

• Like 1

Hands shaking a bit, There. They finally did come off.Hobby knife didn't work as well as I hoped. I mean it will work but it would take HOURS of scribing. the resin is easy,the fibreglass much much harder to cut. My razor saw wanted to move precisely where I didn't want to go. That left breaking out the dremel. Very very carefully at medium speed using long steady strokes to keep a straight  smooth line.

43612395795_51fe894c34_b.jpg

29584245247_4fc83b3606_b.jpg

Even with the tips removed it still a BIG wing.

• Like 6

Surprisingly, the wing is hollow.I will have to strengthen it with some card so it doesn't lose it's shape or flex too much.

I didn't have to sand down the edges much. Just enough to remove some burrs.

43016362000_7ac83351d9_b.jpg

44777494902_2407c110f3_b.jpg

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

There  are a few photos out there showing the wing folded in flight from a distance or a close-up of the underneath, but not the top.

Sorry for posting in your thread:

XB-70_4.jpg

The closest and detailed picture that I find.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

No need to apologise Nicholay.  I found that one too Thanks All assistance cheerfully welcomed.

I thought about showing the parachute doors opened and doing the inside, but this is the only one showing it opened but not the inside. and it would have looked funny hanging from the ceiling in flight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LorenSharp said:

I thought about showing the parachute doors opened and doing the inside, but this is the only one showing it opened but not the inside. and it would have looked funny hanging from the ceiling in flight.

Yes, it’s a good idea!

Check this link, there are some useful Valkyrie photos: XB-70 Valkyrie Photos For Sale.

Thanks! 🤝

• Like 1

Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends! Been a busy week trying to make progress on this beast and tying up loose ends on another project. For now, a word of caution to anyone who contemplates building one of these monsters. The very tip of the main wing ,( I should have thought of this before,) is delicate. cats knocked over the wing and of course it hit my toolbox and broke off.

44063231985_26e7ce08fd_b.jpg

It is a pain in the backside to glue back on and stay on. 3 trys using either epoxy or CA, finally a mixture of both to make it stay put.

43163321800_c83238b63c_b.jpg

44063464145_073a1e09a5_b.jpg

Still needs some finessing to smooth out

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Now after such a rude delay,on with the build. Intakes. Not a bad affair nice and solid once assembled, but, there is always a but, when gluing to the wing right at the tip is where the nose wheel goes. Nice idea ,doesn't fit. Unfortunately attached in place,soooo mod time again no choice. I shaved as much of the inner walls of the intakes as possible and the outside of the nose wheel bay to make fit. Bulges a bit but I'll take that.  If I had it to do over I would have tossed the intake tip and built a new one out of thin card. ah well such is the life of a modeller.

30038544447_edc50d3887_k.jpg

30038545517_17f9067d31_k.jpg

44975375251_5502d1947c_k.jpg

44256384804_a6bd838c6e_b.jpg

• Like 5

Your progress is amazing thus far. I would suspect that some more hiccups along the way are in order with such a large kit. Keep up the fantastic work. Looking forward to your next posting.

Thank you

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

To create the mechanism I used a 7mm brass tube to start. In what pictures I did find it is several independent pieces lined up much like a very sophisticated door hinge. But this door is about the size of a B-58 wing. At the time it was the largest movable wing in the world. I didn't want to go to the extreme of a bunch of small rod all tied together. I'm crazy, just not that crazy. Because of the weight of the panel and the stresses put on it I went with attaching  1.5mm aluminum rod perpendicular to the wing fold to act as braces. holding it all in place with plastic card to immobilise it and spread the stress as equal as i can. don't know if it will work but it looks right. I think.

44063243665_3c2328c7e6_b.jpg

43163326290_77618d7f9f_b.jpg

For the outer panel I trimmed the aluminum rod to fit the angle of the wing. 

I had drilled holes in the brass rod to insert the aluminum then epoxied it all together.

To recreate the individual cylinders I tried to use my razor saw to scribe the lines first experiment didn't work as well as I had hoped and as I thought of how to make the scribe I remembered I had a tubing cutter in my tool box. 2 or 3 light turns and viola! nice round scribed lines.

• Like 4

There were 3 folding positions, wings level 1. take off and landing or normal flight at low subsonic speeds. 2. 25 degrees down angle for high subsonic speeds or speeds below Mach 1.5. 3. 65.5 degrees down angle for speeds up to Mach 3. with the Wings drooped the aircraft "Rode the compression shock wave" much like a surfer on a wave. Made for more efficient fuel economy, less drag, and better control at high Mach numbers.

I decided on the mid range position of 25 degrees, gives it that "linebacker look" and makes for a more compact display option if I need to put it on a shelf.

44063243455_5ecece2fac_b.jpg

43163325280_012de27d5a_b.jpg

44063240985_ffc57a4f1a_b.jpg

Edited by LorenSharp
Image Change
  • Like 5

Stay tuned  tomorrow guys for more exciting adventures in the Land Of the GIants! Same Bat Time, Same Bat Channel!

Myself I'm off to find the elusive tall pint of Guinness. I think I need it at this point.:drink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Because of the weight of the panel and the stresses put on it I went with attaching  1.5mm aluminum rod perpendicular to the wing fold to act as braces. holding it all in place with plastic card to immobilise it and spread the stress as equal as i can. don't know if it will work but it looks right. I think.

Wise solution @LorenSharp, it will work fine. But it can be made by the HpH for the €450, I think...

22 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

I decided on the mid range position of 25 degrees, gives it that "linebacker look" and makes for a more compact display option if I need to put it on a shelf.

Agreed. It would be a well-looking option 🙂

22 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Myself I'm off to find the elusive tall pint of Guinness. I think I need it at this point.:drink:

Sure thing! Have a nice modelling weekend 🤝

Can’t wait to see the landing gear to be attached, it’s looks very big on your table...

Cheers! 😎

Madre de Dios! Just found this thread and spent an awestruck half hour looking through it! If you can retain your sanity after this I must admit to a sense of sheer admiration! 🙂

Having just picked up Brengun's excellent PE set for my 72nd scale XB-70 the Valkyrie was in my mind when I browsed the forum this morning and spotting this piqued my interest. Very impressive work so far - I'll follow this through to the end. I thought the 72nd scale Italeri/AMT was big enough but this thing is a monster!

Great work on the drooped wingtips and the extra detailing on the gear.

Kev

• Like 1

I've also just found this and will tag along if I may, especially as I'm currently reading the autobiography of Don Mallick, one of the NASA test pilots who flew the XB70.

Now I'll go back to page 1 and read it properly.

John

Edited by Biggles87

On 9/28/2018 at 11:42 PM, LorenSharp said:

Made for more efficient fuel economy

Compared to say, a diesel powered Aircraft Carrier or a Saturn 5?

Loren, I hope the Guinness helps. This will be a cracker.

BTW, I've seen an offset anti torque link on landing gear before.

I just can't remember which aircraft it was though.

• Haha 1

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys! This is a Beast. I'm discovering now it's a bit bigger than my work area, "shock, shock, surprise,surprise, say no more, say no more." I have to do a lot of the work now with it sitting on my lap.

• Like 2

Not quite disaster, but definite snafu. Getting ready to attach the lower portion of the hull to the wing section I find that the wedge portion of the front of the intake system off kilter by about a degree.. Looking from the top down every thing lines up. But when you add the lower section, it all lines up except the apex. that has a slight twist in it that throws everything off about 3-4 cm. I took the wedge off and looked closely and the moulding was off.  I can try to fiddle with it sanding, scribing and whatnot but I think what I will do is make my own wedge out of card and square it up properly from the start.Plus to add insult to injury I knocked the front of the wing off AGAIN! Some days I just doesn't to get out of bed.

• Sad 1

Oh B*gger, as they say! Just what you didn't need - especially having already fixed that wing point.

Hope you can find the time, space and resilience to sort out these few problems - I'm really intrigued to see just how this thing looks hanging from the ceiling 🙂

Keep going - we're all watching (most of us in awe!)

Kev