1/48 Hph XB-70A Its finally COMPLETED!

Well, whilst waiting for  clearcoat to dry before proceeding, I have done the preliminary work on the photoetch creation.

With modelman182's assistance. I resized,adjusted and cleaned up some files  to create the photo etch engine nozzle and interior.

I went and printed out copies then cut and assembled as if they were actual to the size needed.

47946229891_84527395fe_b.jpg

47946199337_b500c25fc5_b.jpg

47946209393_186e6e040e_b.jpg

47946209413_54b9f9b8f6_b.jpg

Surprisingly, they fit together perfectly. I'm going to go back and add a few more bits to add a little more detail to the mix.

Weather is supposed to clear out in the afternoon tomorrow. So we shall see if this extra bit of insanity will actually work.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Well, whilst waiting for  clearcoat to dry before proceeding, I have done the preliminary work on the photoetch creation.

With modelman182's assistance. I resized,adjusted and cleaned up some files  to create the photo etch engine nozzle and interior.

I went and printed out copies then cut and assembled as if they were actual to the size needed.

Surprisingly, they fit together perfectly. I'm going to go back and add a few more bits to add a little more detail to the mix.

Weather is supposed to clear out in the afternoon tomorrow. So we shall see if this extra bit of insanity will actually work.

That's great work, Loren. It'll make a big difference to the look of the 'hot end' of the aircraft. 🙂

I've just finished my penultimate shift at work. Next shift is 9pm tomorrow night for 5 hours and then I'm a gentleman of leisure for a while. Hoping to get quite a few modelling projects done in my leisure time 🙂 Just picked up a commission to build a WWI Mk.1 Male Tank from an existing client (delivered his 1/24th Shelby Cobra commission yesterday) so that will be one of the 'focused' projects, along with some figures I'm doing for a fellow modeller and my local model shop. Gonna be a busy few months, if I'm lucky...

Won't be long before your Great White Beast needs its shelf space, by the look of things.

Cheers

Kev

Hello  Loren - I have not checked in on this build for a while and was dismayed to hear of the crash landing but glad to see you getting it back on track again - I had a similar experience of seeing my nearly completed model A4 flip backwards off my modelling desk and disappear between it and the wall shedding bits on the way down so I feel your pain

CJP

Edited by CJP

One thing is for certain, If anyone is insane enough to assemble one of these besides me and wants to add a little "extra" to the look, just message me. 

Well guys, This journey is almost at it's end.Stenciling and attaching all the fiddly bits with the exception of the nose pitot tube is completed.

I'm saving it for last because I KNOW I'll snap that off without looking at it several times before I finish.

47980199078_6a27f9797e_z.jpg

47980199158_4cd731b560_z.jpg

47980252361_fa1db99e03_z.jpg

47980252331_cc9039424b_z.jpg

47980252416_1143db3fc4_z.jpg

Final coats of varnish have been added. All that's left is the Engine upgrades with P/E. I have enough brass to do 2 1/2

engines. I have more coming but they won't be here until Tuesday.

• Like 8

Trying to get a sense of the size of this beast is hard. As it is I can't get the whole aircraft in one shot.

But here is an idea.On the right is the Tail from the NB-52A I've been working with on and off for a great while.

ON the lower left is 2 bottles of model master paints.

47980293457_1a9babbf68_z.jpg

• Like 2

I've begun contemplating what nefarious mayhem my evil mind can get into as far as my next project. And I've come up with 2 different

aircraft. I have only enough space to do one because of the BUFF. So since everyone has followed me on this little jaunt, I thought I would take a poll and ask you guys which one to do.

Now I will intersperse with the BUFF (for sanity's sake) and the odd "Normal" aircraft for Nickolay ,so it won't be a short weekender hop either. 

I'll post the pictures here and you can let me know either ib post or PM. So stock up on you favorite legal beverage and munchies, and haul out that nice big comfy chair. What do you think? Up for a challenge?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

I've begun contemplating what nefarious mayhem my evil mind can get into as far as my next project. And I've come up with 2 different

aircraft. I have only enough space to do one because of the BUFF. So since everyone has followed me on this little jaunt, I thought I would take a poll and ask you guys which one to do.

Now I will intersperse with the BUFF (for sanity's sake) and the odd "Normal" aircraft for Nickolay ,so it won't be a short weekender hop either. 

I'll post the pictures here and you can let me know either ib post or PM. So stock up on you favorite legal beverage and munchies, and haul out that nice big comfy chair. What do you think? Up for a challenge?

Can I suggest a contemporary of the XB-70A such as a SR-71A Blackbird, B-58 Hustler or venturing the other side of the Iron Curtain a MiG25 ?

• Like 2

All right call out the nice gents with the butterfly nets and the "Twister" jackets. Yes I am certifiable. Here are my two choices:

Both will be in 1/48th scale.

First up for consideration a 1/48 Sanger B-47E.

I know its been done over on ARC many moons ago by Darius Aibara, but I think I could tweak it some more in the wheel bay and Bomb bay.

His build convinced me to get this long time ago and its been sitting waiting for the right time. Could this be the right time?

47980426477_731ec4c7a6_z.jpg

Lots of room there to play with scratch building.

• Like 3

Then there is the option behind door number 2,

This just came in the mail the other day after a wait of 2 months. When I saw the shipping weight I thought they smoking something I gave up in the 70's.

At 7.25 kilos....

Hph B-36D

47980426397_b2c4c1b6cc_z.jpg

47980474506_e45edb84bf_z.jpg

47980474491_2fbb511186_z.jpg

47980420098_ab2d0706e0_z.jpg

Then I picked it up and my back said "What are you doing? Are you Crazy?"

The answer is of course.... Yep!

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Neither will fit on a shelf so they will have to be hung up.

So there are the choices. Talk amongst yourselves,gents I'm going outside to work with some very nasty chemicals and make some P/E parts.

TTFN

• Like 1

Aww... I'm seriously disappointed, Loren 😉 I was hoping for EITHER a 48th scale TU-95 Bear OR a 48th scale TU-160 Blackjack (both would have to be scratchbuilt, of course 🙂 )...

As you have two almost equally appealing contenders, however, I shall cast my vote for the B-47E. I recently acquired the old Hasegawa 72nd kit and Lord knows THAT is a big enough airframe, so a 48th scale one would be seriously impressive.

Got any pics of the PE done, so far? Looking forward to seeing that stuff 🙂 

Cheers

Kev

• Like 2

Superb and very impressive build, Loren!

As for the next project, for me it has to be door number 2, the giant B-36. I saw one built up at the Nationals and thought, 'nobody would be crazy enough to build that'. 

I think you're both crazy and skilled enough to make it and nail it 👊😎

Alan

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 1

Thank you AlanP .It's been an enjoyable build,all things concidered and very educational from a product point of view. I'd never worked with this type of resin/fibreglass combination before and gave me some real fits getting the paint to stick. Were  I to do the B-36,one thing I would definitely do is open up the upper forward an aft turrets. The front turret fully deployed and the rear open but still retracted and stowed. And in stead of using the 4 20,000,lb + Bombs, I'd replace the front 2 with a mk17 nuclear bomb. I did order some after market 20mm oerlikon barrels the are real close to the proper look.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, modelman182 said:

Aww... I'm seriously disappointed, Loren 😉 I was hoping for EITHER a 48th scale TU-95 Bear OR a 48th scale TU-160 Blackjack (both would have to be scratchbuilt, of course 🙂 )...

As you have two almost equally appealing contenders, however, I shall cast my vote for the B-47E. I recently acquired the old Hasegawa 72nd kit and Lord knows THAT is a big enough airframe, so a 48th scale one would be seriously impressive.

Got any pics of the PE done, so far? Looking forward to seeing that stuff 🙂 

Cheers

Kev

You know Kev,either of those choices ARE tempting. especially the Bear. I do have the 1/72 version to use for measurements....hmmm tell you what After the BUFF  and one of these 2 that will be the next great adventure.Building entirely from scratch

would be different, never tried that before. And it will give me time to gather all the information I can. I'll try to post some P/E images this afternoon.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Ah, you have an excellent kits to choose from, I’d like to take a look at:

22 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

First up for consideration a 1/48 Sanger B-47E.

It’s not so usual object for the modelling, and all-over NMF, as I correct.

Anyway, the choice is yours and I’ll interested in any build you make. Nice progress with the Valkyrie, these HpH kits looks buildable in your hands! 👍

That Valkyrie looks excellent.  Do love a big 1/48 kit.  Such a shame there aren’t more UK aircraft available - V force (I would love a 1/48 Victor), VC-10, Beverley etc. Do like the look of that B-47 though

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bar side said:

That Valkyrie looks excellent.  Do love a big 1/48 kit.  Such a shame there aren’t more UK aircraft available - V force (I would love a 1/48 Victor), VC-10, Beverley etc. Do like the look of that B-47 though

Bar Side I wish all 3 of the V's were available in 48th scale. The closest may be the Vulcan from Sanger eventually

2 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Ah, you have an excellent kits to choose from, I’d like to take a look at:

It’s not so usual object for the modelling, and all-over NMF, as I correct.

Anyway, the choice is yours and I’ll interested in any build you make. Nice progress with the Valkyrie, these HpH kits looks buildable in your hands! 👍

The HpH kits are ok but they take a Lot of work, especially with the hybrid resin/fibreglass fuselage and wings.

Not to mention correcting the odd inaccuracy. Going over the B-36 I'm not surprised at some, but now I know what to expect.

• Like 2

The biggest so far is the tail numbers don't match the A/C Serial Number Stencil. The tail number is for an H model that flew with the 7th BW out of Eglin AFB 1955 and participated in the CASTLE nuclear tests in 1954. The Stencil is for an H model that flew with 11th BW out of Carswell AFB until 1957. I'll probably find more as I get into it. Geralds B-47E on the other hand ,More aircraft but fewer decals.

• Like 1

Well Kev will be another day or so on pics , first run of the P/E failed. Since the system didn't come with much I have to wait for more Printing material and photo resistance.

Printed perfectly, pictures were wrong and didn't etch correctly. At first you don't succeed, try, try, try,try again. then try some more.😫

Loren, I have been following this build thread for a while and appreciate what you have been through so far! We seem to share the same taste in kit as I have several HPH kit including the XB-70 and B-36, the B-52H has been on order since last year. Please keep up the inspirational work! The B-70 looks mighty impressive! Am I reading your posts correctly? Are you offering copies of your photo etch exhaust work for sale? If you are please let me know.