1/48 Hph XB-70A Its finally COMPLETED!

Ladies and Gentlemen,Damen und Herren for your amusement and edification I present HpH's 1/48 XB-70A. Like I didn't have enough on my plate constructing Sangers B_52B (more on that later). But as they say" faint heart ne're won a faire maiden". Besides I got it early in the Spring and kept calling to me "Build me!" and so I shall.With out further ado Forward into the Fog!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

yeah, but he said I was a certifiable nutter and not to come back. Anyways,this beast comes in a big box, no I mean A BIG box. 

29540477167_53f93cf109_b.jpgBigBigBox by lmsharp53, on Flickr

Wings,Forward Swan Neck Fuselage,LOwer Fuselage, Engine Area, and 3 smaller boxes with all the fiddly bits, decals, masks,photoetch and the building instructions on a cd.

44428590122_52805b1bf8_b.jpgBigBigBox2 by lmsharp53, on Flickr

29540477257_67702c6fa9_b.jpgBigBigBox3 by lmsharp53, on Flickr

Edited by LorenSharp
Image Change
  • Like 7

One thing for certain this model isn't a vacuform or a traditional resin like you get from Arba, or an old Collect-Aire kit. Its different, Kinda soft grey resin with a fibreglass core for strength. And it makes a powdery itchy mess when you cut or sand it.

Edited by LorenSharp
spelling

After printing out the instructions from the CD, I though Hmm.. I don't need no stinkin Instructions. Wrong you do. Didn't follow their recommended order though. I started with the Swan Neck forward fuselage. Cleaning up the mould seam. It had a slight ridge on the top and bottom.

42670270210_f4eb37337e_b.jpg

42670271900_6b6b3d4e49_b.jpg

42670271400_78606fb8b3_b.jpg

42670271900_6b6b3d4e49_z.jpgI

I tried sanding but that was not efficient nor fast, and since you have to cut out the opening for the canopy, I broke out my trusty dremel and proceeded to cut and grind everything down. And THATS a Big mess! Dust and fibreglass everywhere.

• Like 5

Now being a resin/fibreglass affair locator pins are non-existent. They call for wire, all I had was some small nails. So, using a pin vise I drilled the corresponding holes, cut down the nails and epoxied the lot in place. 

44429453762_4a18a1775e_b.jpg

44429452502_972e176c23_b.jpg

44429455092_c5bd13f4e8_b.jpg

After the epoxy set I puttied and sanded smooth.

• Like 5

Oh My god !! This guy is as crazy as I'am !!

1/48 B-70.... Congratulations !! I'll follow if you Don't mind !

Really BM is THE place to be, and welcome aboard !!

Nice start too, interesting techniques !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

Thanks, It's going to get Real interesting as I go along, I'm not one to build Straight from the box, so to speak. So welcome and pull up a chair and sip your nice favorite beverage, myself either Nice pint of Guinness or as hot as it has been a very tall G&T. With this Plane make that light on the T.

• Like 3

One of the biggest mods I've got planned is to put the wing tips in the lowered sub-sonic position. Spent the better part of 2 months just researching how the mechanism worked and how it looked. I don't know if its totally correct, but i did get a case of the cold sweats before I cut the tips off.

• Like 2

If I had it to do over I would have painted the exterior with an automotive or nautical paint recommended for fibreglass. Regular spray paint even if it is good for any surface has a tendency to chip and flake off. Even after scrubbing the parts ,giving a light sanding and applying primer, same result. so this is going to get very gentle treatment. Either way Its a Lot of white.

• Like 2

Wow. That about sums it up for me. Now I may just have to get that 1/48th scale B-36 they have (I believe it's HPH; who else would be that crazy). Best of luck on this truly mammoth build!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Thanks, It's going to get Real interesting as I go along, I'm not one to build Straight from the box, so to speak. So welcome and pull up a chair and sip your nice favorite beverage, myself either Nice pint of Guinness or as hot as it has been a very tall G&T. With this Plane make that light on the T.

Mmmmh a good pint of Guiness :drink:!!

Be carefull with the automotive paint, have a good coat of primer before applying it.

I don't know if automotive paints are acrylics too on your side of the pond ??

Chemical reactions are not rare with these paints, Guess how I know it ??:whistle:

3 hours ago, Learstang said:

Wow. That about sums it up for me. Now I may just have to get that 1/48th scale B-36 they have (I believe it's HPH; who else would be that crazy). Best of luck on this truly mammoth build!

Regards,

Jason

And now a 1/48 B-36.... ???? Holly Molly, one need to have an RB-36 beside it...

I have the 1/72 one and it's already a huge beast.... Can be fun....

Il-2is out of painting booth, Will be in RFI soon ! I hope at least....:cheers:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

I wanted to get the B-36, but the waiting time from order to receipt was 10 months. I didn't want to wait that long. I think they have sold out of the production run.Ah well such is life. Although, Gerald Elliot may be giving it a go on the Vac side with a 1/48 B-36.How long that would be is anybodys guess.

• Like 1