As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

LorenSharp

1/48 B-70A Its finally COMPLETED!

Ladies and Gentlemen,Damen und Herren for your amusement and edification I present HpH's 1/48 XB-70A. Like I didn't have enough on my plate constructing Sangers B_52B (more on that later). But as they say" faint heart ne're won a faire maiden". Besides I got it early in the Spring and kept calling to me "Build me!" and so I shall.With out further ado Forward into the Fog!

yeah, but he said I was a certifiable nutter and not to come back. Anyways,this beast comes in a big box, no I mean A BIG box. 

29540477167_53f93cf109_b.jpgBigBigBox by lmsharp53, on Flickr

Wings,Forward Swan Neck Fuselage,LOwer Fuselage, Engine Area, and 3 smaller boxes with all the fiddly bits, decals, masks,photoetch and the building instructions on a cd.

44428590122_52805b1bf8_b.jpgBigBigBox2 by lmsharp53, on Flickr

29540477257_67702c6fa9_b.jpgBigBigBox3 by lmsharp53, on Flickr

Edited by LorenSharp
Image Change

unfortunately photobucket will not open the pictures, have you got a flickr or village photo account

Just realised that, now after fighting flickr for a bit maybe I can get this sorted out. Sorry for the brief intermission, Now back to our show!

Having built the 1/72 version, you have my deepest sympathies. What are you going to do with it? I can't even get a storage box to keep and transport mine in.

Here hopefully are the rest of the images

42669734880_8bc2a942bc_b.jpg

44428991982_aa65021e2a_b.jpg

42669738440_9c0f02759c_z.jpg

42669739500_b044796a07_b.jpg

you know I really do think technology has gone downhill since the invention of MIcrowave PIzza.

I had the box underneath the bed for months. Once finished I'll have to hang it up on the ceiling, if the ceilings strong enough that is.

One thing for certain this model isn't a vacuform or a traditional resin like you get from Arba, or an old Collect-Aire kit. Its different, Kinda soft grey resin with a fibreglass core for strength. And it makes a powdery itchy mess when you cut or sand it.

Edited by LorenSharp
spelling

After printing out the instructions from the CD, I though Hmm.. I don't need no stinkin Instructions. Wrong you do. Didn't follow their recommended order though. I started with the Swan Neck forward fuselage. Cleaning up the mould seam. It had a slight ridge on the top and bottom.

42670270210_f4eb37337e_b.jpg

42670271900_6b6b3d4e49_b.jpg

42670271400_78606fb8b3_b.jpg

42670271900_6b6b3d4e49_z.jpgI

I tried sanding but that was not efficient nor fast, and since you have to cut out the opening for the canopy, I broke out my trusty dremel and proceeded to cut and grind everything down. And THATS a Big mess! Dust and fibreglass everywhere.

Now being a resin/fibreglass affair locator pins are non-existent. They call for wire, all I had was some small nails. So, using a pin vise I drilled the corresponding holes, cut down the nails and epoxied the lot in place. 

44429453762_4a18a1775e_b.jpg

44429452502_972e176c23_b.jpg

44429455092_c5bd13f4e8_b.jpg

After the epoxy set I puttied and sanded smooth.

Oh My god !! This guy is as crazy as I'am !!

1/48 B-70.... Congratulations !! I'll follow if you Don't mind !

Really BM is THE place to be, and welcome aboard !!

Nice start too, interesting techniques !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks, It's going to get Real interesting as I go along, I'm not one to build Straight from the box, so to speak. So welcome and pull up a chair and sip your nice favorite beverage, myself either Nice pint of Guinness or as hot as it has been a very tall G&T. With this Plane make that light on the T.

One of the biggest mods I've got planned is to put the wing tips in the lowered sub-sonic position. Spent the better part of 2 months just researching how the mechanism worked and how it looked. I don't know if its totally correct, but i did get a case of the cold sweats before I cut the tips off.

I think I'll have to build a big house just to put these in,then one just to live in.

That's one reason for the drooped wings, if need be I can fit it on a shelf if need be.

If I had it to do over I would have painted the exterior with an automotive or nautical paint recommended for fibreglass. Regular spray paint even if it is good for any surface has a tendency to chip and flake off. Even after scrubbing the parts ,giving a light sanding and applying primer, same result. so this is going to get very gentle treatment. Either way Its a Lot of white.

The cockpit has quite a lot of detail, shame that it will be covered up when finished.

44479234651_38a834e86e_b.jpg

44479231271_ecda200f68_z.jpg

44479227381_98180a39ac_b.jpg

Wow. That about sums it up for me. Now I may just have to get that 1/48th scale B-36 they have (I believe it's HPH; who else would be that crazy). Best of luck on this truly mammoth build!

Regards,

Jason

6 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Thanks, It's going to get Real interesting as I go along, I'm not one to build Straight from the box, so to speak. So welcome and pull up a chair and sip your nice favorite beverage, myself either Nice pint of Guinness or as hot as it has been a very tall G&T. With this Plane make that light on the T.

Mmmmh a good pint of Guiness :drink:!!

Be carefull with the automotive paint, have a good coat of primer before applying it.

I don't know if automotive paints are acrylics too on your side of the pond ??

Chemical reactions are not rare with these paints, Guess how I know it ??:whistle:

3 hours ago, Learstang said:

Wow. That about sums it up for me. Now I may just have to get that 1/48th scale B-36 they have (I believe it's HPH; who else would be that crazy). Best of luck on this truly mammoth build!

Regards,

Jason

And now a 1/48 B-36.... ???? Holly Molly, one need to have an RB-36 beside it...

I have the 1/72 one and it's already a huge beast.... Can be fun....

Il-2is out of painting booth, Will be in RFI soon ! I hope at least....:cheers:

Sincerely.

CC

AAAAARGH...........A monster...........Building an HPH is a challenge by itself and, believe me, I duly know what this mean, but this size....... WOW...... A titanic job...

I wanted to get the B-36, but the waiting time from order to receipt was 10 months. I didn't want to wait that long. I think they have sold out of the production run.Ah well such is life. Although, Gerald Elliot may be giving it a go on the Vac side with a 1/48 B-36.How long that would be is anybodys guess.