Nostalgia aint what it used to be...

Nocoolname

What a difference 35 years makes...

IMG_0660

IMG_0661

I remember getting the same set as at the top for Christmas 1983 along with a Kenner/Palitoy Millennium Falcon. I wonder if a modeller from 1958 might have regarded the Space Vehicles Set with the same 'wow' factor as we do with the Bandai kits? :hmmm:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

That's the first time I've seen that Airfix set.

We were probably happy with whatever we could get back then though.

I was over the moon when I got that set. Even today the detail isn’t bad especially on the A-Wing and Tie Interceptor, both of which I intend to build as 1/48 (ish) versions of their Bandai equivalents. I think back then there was only ever one kit that I couldn’t fathom in terms of accuracy - the Airfix Space 199 Eagle. Even though we only had a small B&W TV to watch the series on it was still clear that the kit was ‘a bit off’. 

• Like 1

Great comparison shot there. The a wing still stands up well today, that along with the slave 1 and at-st were IMO the best Amt Ertl kits. Best thing to do with the interceptor is get the tie fighter twin pack and stick the interceptors wings on one of the standard ties. Right scale and just needs a bit of work. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommo said:

Great comparison shot there. The a wing still stands up well today, that along with the slave 1 and at-st were IMO the best Amt Ertl kits. Best thing to do with the interceptor is get the tie fighter twin pack and stick the interceptors wings on one of the standard ties. Right scale and just needs a bit of work. 

Spot on Tommo! In fact if you look closely at the Tie Interceptor bag you’ll see that I had popped the cockpit section from the AMT Tie kit inside! I’m also looking to rescribe and detail up the A-Wing using the Bandai kit as a guide. Not sure what I’ll do with the X-Wing and B-Wing though. 

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:55 AM, Nocoolname said:

What a difference 35 years makes...

IMG_0660

I remember getting the same set as at the top for Christmas 1983 along with a Kenner/Palitoy Millennium Falcon. I wonder if a modeller from 1958 might have regarded the Space Vehicles Set with the same 'wow' factor as we do with the Bandai kits? :hmmm:

Notice how the portion size has increased during that period .

• 1 month later...