Burmese Zero - Indian Raider

CliffB

I'll be joining in with this 1/100(ish), scale Zero please.

P1100481.jpg

Match Kits were produced in the 1960's and were so called because their packaging resembled a book of matches (even down to having a pretend black striker strip).  I bought a job lot of eight Match Kits off eBay a few months ago and am now trying to find something to do with them!

I'm just finishing my first Match Kit build in the P-47 Thunderbolt STGB (here's a link if you want to see some more on the packaging).

The Zero kit only contains decals for the national markings, so in theory I have a free choice as precisely which aicraft I build.  Via Wings Palette, I've found an interesting Model 22 which was based at Magwa, Burma and took part in a raid on Calcutta in December 1943.  It features on Rising Decal's 1/72 scale sheet 'Zero Part II'  - aircraft number 31-161 if you have the sheet!  Whilst I won't be able to use the decals themselves, I can at least crib from the artwork :winkgrin:.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Brad said:

I'd never heard of these before. They look a bit like Starfix kits though lol

Thanks Brad. IIRC most of Starfix's offerings (at least in 1/100), were re-pops of ancient Heller offerings.

In my very limited experience, Eldon is better (but that's not difficult! :winkgrin:).

• Like 2

welcome aboard Cliff with another of those wonderful wee scale models you bring along to GB's.

she certainly will be unusual as in its size, tiny and manufacturer.

good luck with the build, I look forward to seeing what you do with her.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, trickyrich said:

welcome aboard Cliff with another of those wonderful wee scale models you bring along to GB's.

Thanks Rich.  I know that the Zero was a slender beast, but this one looks particularly lightweight alongside my 1/100 Hellcat and Thunderbolt.  A quick check on dimensions indicates that the zero kit is actually around 1/110.

Never mind :winkgrin:

• Like 1

This will be good to watch Cliff, make sure you either visit the optometrist beforehand or invest in a decent pair of glasses! I’ll be watching on from afar. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi folks.  It's been a good couple of months since I've been around on Britmodeller.  Mainly down a house move, plus a lot of IPMS stuff to do in the build-up to Scale ModelWorld.

Things are settling down now though, so what better than a simple little kit to help me back into the modelling habit  :)

P1100505.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 3

Good to hear you’re back Cliff. Your not the only one who’s having issues getting this GB’s builds going, but this shouldn’t take you too long one would think! 

Cheers and hope the house move was a success... Dave 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the welcome back guys - although as you will have seen, by return was a false start.  More domestic distractions unfortunately - I won't bore you with the details 😉

But I'm determined now to get this finished before the end - I feel that I need a bit of 'me time'!

Not a great start though, as the kit has some wierd moulding problems.  It looks like something was too hot (or too cold?), when the parts were made.......

P1100506.jpg

Fortunately all the damage is underneath and the fuselage looks to be OK.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 2

On 12/20/2018 at 9:46 PM, trickyrich said:

gee it almost looks like fish scales!

Yes it does Rich.  At first I thought they were just swirls in the plastic, but they are definitely 3D.

Anyway, some filling and sanding has sorted things out and I've also filled the recessed lines that mark the positions of the markings.

P1100511.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 2

recessed markings outlines, that's new, normally they're raised on all the stuff I've seen, though it would make it easier to remove.

Looking forward to seeing some colour on her soon.

• Like 1

Thanks Rich and Martin.

A full house over Christmas, so had to make do with being my grandchildren's punch-bag/human trampoline, instead of doing modelling 🤕

A little bit more progress today though - canopy masking next.

P1100512.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I didn't finish in time :(

Congratulations to all of you who did -  I've enjoyed catching up via the Gallery.

I'll be finishing off the Zero in the KUTA GB, so maybe see you there.

Cheers

Cliff