Airfix P-39Q Airacobra in 1/72

I don't do a lot of aircraft, but with all the buzz about the new high quality Airfix 1/72 airplane kits I just had to give one of my favorite aircraft, the P-39 Airacobra, a try. Imagine my surprise when I opened up the new red box and saw before me not one of the recent Airfix wunderkits, but what is obviously a repop of their old 1960s molding!

XTuJgwt.jpg

This ancient kit is a bit of a challenge to build as the fit isn’t very good - the top of the aft canopy is too short to reach the frame, and the forward windscreen doesn’t reach back quite far enough. Not only that, true to its 1960s vintage, it is covered in heavy rivets! Still, it looks like a Bellochka…

JFmEaE3.jpg?1

I decided to just have fun and build it as is. Initial assembly completed, it’s time to do a little filling.

gz6eW15.jpg?1

Since I was building my Airacobra as in Soviet service, the underwing .50 cal gun pods wouldn’t be used.  Unfortunately, Airfix chose to mount the pod parts in deep troughs cut into the wings.

I filled these in with cyanoacrylate (super glue) and sanded them smooth.

vn7AuH6.jpg?2

The old girl takes a lot of shimming and filling, but in the end the sleek lines of the ‘Cobra come through…

m4BQbME.jpg

uso4hUK.jpg

6iICySg.jpg

At least the decals on the recent re-release are of excellent quality!

5RkVE5B.jpg

5S5m1Ly.jpg

461cZTD.jpg

Airfix’s P-39Q is a typical kit of its era, but it's definitely not the best 1/72 Airacobra available today. The upgraded decals provided with the current issue are an improvement, but this venerable kit should really be retired. Still, I had fun with it!

Edited by Tim Reynaga
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Very nice restoration. The work on the canopy in particular.

Your paintwork shows up Airfix's wonderful battleship rivets too!

Definitely one that needs retiring.

Looks great, especially considering the kit's age.  Very nice paint finish and great work blending in the canopy.  I have a very distinct memory of my dad helping me build this kit at the kitchen table circa 1972.  I remember not being able to choose between the Soviet or US decals and whichever one I did decide on I changed my mind and tried to replace them.  I think the whole thing ended up a bit of a mess.  This kit doesn't appear in the Airfix website now, I'm glad to say.  They now seem to have pulled most of their older toolings, probably for good.  In case you didn't know RS Models do a whole range of P=39 kits with lots of different marking options.  I haven't built one their kits but the sprue shots look great.

21 hours ago, Tim Reynaga said:

At least the decals on the recent re-release are of excellent quality!

Which is about all this kit is any good for imho, it has been a bit naughty of Airfix doing this, it does little for their name. :( having said that, you've done an impressive job on that, I'm well impressed. :)

Steve.

A lot of work, but well-realised!

It is a bit of a worry how some kits are sold in updated packaging but remain the old plastic within.

I can only suggest forums such as this one can enlighten you about anything you plan to buy.

Nonetheless, you've shown your craftsmanship in getting such a nice result - which is really what it's all about don't you think?

:goodjob:

17 hours ago, Teuchter said:

Glad you had fun, I like your treatment of the canopies, how did you get such a smooth finish?

Don

Thank you all for your kind comments!  It really was a very basic build...

As for the canopies, I didn't use any innovative techniques to fix them up, just a traditional combination of sheet plastic shims, cyanoacrylate filler, and sanding with progressively finer grit papers. Final polishing was done with an old t-shirt. 👕 🤭

Edited by Tim Reynaga
  • Like 1

That is a really fine job Tim - with the age of this kit you should have entered it into the vintage Airfix Group Build that is going on right now.

BTW ...doesn't everyone do their final polish with an old t-shirt??? ;)

Great build summary too - Steve