Aurora 1/72nd restored kit builds

Paul J

Trying to get out of my modelling doldrums/mojo loss by working on my ancient Aurora 1/72nd civvy types.  My camera has gone bust but I did manage a few pics of which I will post later. Types are Piper PA23 Aztec, Jet Commander and Cessna 337.  The Cessna is going to be a Canadian Coast Guard example and use JBOT decals for it. The Jet Commander has gone through a paint strip and will respray soon with decals scanned from the original kit.  Incidentally I still have one untouched and complete which allowed me to 'borrow' the decals for copying.  The Aztec I have two built examples, but no unbuilt sadly. One I modded over 30 years ago to make an E with a longer pointy nose and the other straight from the box. And for this one, I fortunately had an original decal sheet left over and had this done the same way as the Jet Commander.  For the Aztec E,  I am checking out images on line to find a nice scheme to do. One is a Spanish Air Force one but will need suitable numerals and roundels before I get going on that one.

Also, there is a Cherokee 140 I have as a built example and again a copy of an original decal sheet. Good thing about this one the cheat line matches the one I flew in and just need to sort out the British Civvy reg for it.

Will add more with pics once I get another camera.

• Like 3

Hers one pic, more in WIP where others will appear some time. But for now, they show where I'm at.

W2oxMQ.jpg

A dose of Mr Muscle oven cleaner.... in an old baking tray!

• Like 3

IIRC the Cessna 337 and Jet Commander moulds were destroyed in a train crash.

Is that Mr Muscle stuff okay with the clear parts? I need to strip a 1/48th B-17.

Paul Harrison

1 minute ago, GreenDragon said:

IIRC the Cessna 337 and Jet Commander moulds were destroyed in a train crash.

Is that Mr Muscle stuff okay with the clear parts? I need to strip a 1/48th B-17.

Paul Harrison

Hi. I had heard that about those Aurora kits being lost that way. great shame. The 337 is a quite nice tooling as too the Aztec. Except on the Aztec some of the markings are rendeerd on the plastic as recessed lines; easy to fill though. The 337 didn't have any nor the Jet Commander.  The J C suffers a bit with thick trailing edges and windows but has been the only kit ever to have been done as far as I know. Glad I didn't sell my unmade one though. Would like another PA 23 if ever I can find one. Did have once as well as my built ones but sold it about a dozen years ago or even more. Got £30.00 for it.

Re Mr. Muscle I have not had any problems on clear.

• Like 1

Hi Paul, interesting kits, got a few myself which I have picked up here and there over the years. Never been too sure what to do with the Jet Commander, as it doesn't seem to look like any aircraft I can find pictures of. I wonder if there were any military users?

Anyhow, they should help with the old mojo, all the best.

Think I'll try that Mr Muscle, thanks Paul.

The plane that drops Rambo into Vietnam is a Jet Commander Smudge, not really Military but the paint scheme is easy for people who have lost their Mojo! There were military Jet Commanders and Westwinds, most that I remember were the later stretched ones with tip tanks.

Paul Harrison

• Like 1

When I was a young plane spotter in the 70s, Jet Commanders were fairly frequent visitors to Dublin. They developed out of the twin piston and turboprop Aero Commander designs and were quite successful. I haven't seen one for many, many years now so I assume they are pretty rare now.

• Like 1