1/48 - Lockheed U-2A/C & D Dragon Lady by AFV-Club - U-2A, U-2C & U-2D released - new Metallic Details sets

Homebee

9 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

Ahhh, there goes my project.Ā šŸ˜£Ā But perhaps my data can be utilised somehow someday. Maybe a U-2C...

This one does look good though, at least judging by there pictures.

Cheers

J

Any room for you to market some conversion kits of the various versions and sub-types rather than all your research going to waste?

3 minutes ago, Homebee said:

Is itĀ me or the windshield, the nose andĀ the air intakesĀ are...

Ā 

nose.jpgĀ u-2.jpg

Ā 

V.P.

Are you thinking the intake lips are too swollen and close to the canopy, the windscreen sides too curved at their lower corner, and the nose not quite sharp enough at its tip?

• Sad 1

Looks like these are the "interim" intakes, not the straightĀ "A" intakes. The interim intakes were slightly bulbous vertically (as opposed to the later "C" type intakes which were bulbous both vertically and laterally). So it's not an early "A" model. I wonder whether the other intakes will be in the box though?

Windscreen quarter panel and nose - you may have a point there...

Would like to see this kit in person though.

J

3 hours ago, jsolo said:

Jeffrey,

Ā 

Hurry up with your SR-71 kit. It would be bad if another company beats you with that one too. I am sure yours will be better though.

Ā 

jsolo

I'm doing my best! It's making progress.

Ā 

J

• Like 1

The exhaust is that of a U-2C, it's enlarged for the J-75 exhaust and the para brake housing was altered.. The U-2A J-57 exhaust was smaller and the para brake housing not kinked:

Lockheed-U-2D-76.jpg

This is a U-2D, but the exhaust is the same as the "A".

Ā 

J

On 9/7/2018 at 1:55 PM, exdraken said:

wasn't the U-2 just a Starfighter with long wings and a different engine.... (designprinicple wise?)

Ā 

Yet another old chestnut that just won't die. Ā There are *very* superficial similarities between the external shapes of some parts of the U-2 fuselage and the F-104 fuselage. Ā Aside from that they have zero in common.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sonoran said:

Ā 

Yet another old chestnut that just won't die. Ā There are *very* superficial similarities between the external shapes of some parts of the U-2 fuselage and the F-104 fuselage. Ā Aside from that they have zero in common.

Aparz from layout and design you mean!

Never talkedĀ about identical parts!!

4 hours ago, Homebee said:

Hi Jeffrey,

Ā 

As you live now in JP, do you intend to pay a visit at the Tokyo'sĀ "All Japan Model & Hobby Show 2018". Maybe an opportunity to have a look at this test model.

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5896066351

Ā 

Regards,

Ā 

V.P.Ā 

Would love to, actually would like to talk to them as well...had I known this was coming!

But I'm in Osaka and don't have the time at the moment to go to Tokyo. The irony is that my wife is in Tokyo on a business trip right now - but of course doesn't have the time or inclination to go to the hobby show (on her own).

J

Serves me right for beeing such a lazy modellerĀ  - have started to rescribe two Testors with lots of resin about 100 years ago... What to do now... "?" šŸ™‚

Answer will most likely be to buy some additiona new tool kits and show AFV Club how much I like therir politics on new kits and encourage them on some more Skunkwork topics.

Ā 

Alleluia !...........AT LAST a model manufacturer that is brave enough to try something different - AND something that many of us have been waiting for over many years. WELL DONE to AFV Club for not jumping on the ME Bf-109/P-51 Mustang/F-4 Phantom/F-14 Tomcat bandwagon. If they pitch this right (and they have done it before with their F-5 family) they will be able to bring out several variants and then hopefully take a look at the TR-1/U-2R/S family. A great move IMHO since Skunkworks products in model form tend to transcend the market of pure aviation enthusiasts and hold a fascination withĀ a broader church, given their clandestine activities and starring roles in a host of films including 13 Days and Bridge of Spies. Ā Ā Ā Ā 

• Like 2

New Caracal Models decals for the old U-2A/C Hawk/testor kit... Most probably also ok for the new one.Ā šŸ¤”

Source:Ā http://caracalmodels.com/cd48118.html

Ā 

Caracal Models - CD48118 - U-2A/C "Dragon Lady"

Ā 

Our new decal sheet for the U-2 spyplane provides 10 marking options for this very important aircraft. We also provide serial number digits in both the early and late style. Combined with the accurate and comprehensive set of stencilling and common markings on the sheet, this should allow you to build almost any early U-2.

Ā 

The options on this decal sheet are:

• U-2A 56-6701, USAF - Air Force Flight Test Center, USAF
  • U-2A 56-6715, USAF - 4080th SRW, 1960
  • U-2A 56-6703, USAF - 4080th SRW, 1958
  • U-2A "N800X", Central Intelligence Agency (CIA)
  • U-2A "N803X", Central Intelligence Agency (CIA)
  • U-2A 56-6682, USAF - 4080th SRW, 1961
  • U-2F 56-6676, USAF - shot down over Cuba during Cuban Missile Crisis (Maj. Rudolf Anderson's airplane)
  • U-2A 56-6681, USAF - 4080th SRW,
  • U-2A 56-6722, USAF - "Project Hi-Cat", 1967
  • U-2C 56-6680, USAF - 100th SRW, 1976

Ā 

cd48118profiles.jpg

Ā 

V.P.

Looks very nice to me. This has got to be one of the most exciting future releases for me so far this year. It makes such a difference not to be confronted with yet another ME Bf-109/Focke-Wulf Fw-190/McDD F-4 Phantom/Grumman F-14 Tomcat release.....and before anyone starts, I love all of these aircraft, have kits of all of them and do understand that old chestnut "one manufacturers kit does not make money for another".....although one could argue that is no longer true given all of the cross kitting that now goes on (Eduard re-releasing Hasegawa/Trumpeter kits et al, Tamiya re-releasing Italeri, Revell with ICM and Zvedza etc etc etc). Ā  Ā  Ā 

On 9/27/2018 at 6:50 PM, Sonoran said:

Ā Asideļ»æļ»æļ»æ from that they ļ»æļ»æļ»æhaveļ»æ zero in common.

Kelly Johnson was the Chief Designer on both projects so they have that in common too.