1/48 - Lockheed U-2A/C & D Dragon Lady by AFV-Club - U-2A, U-2C & U-2D released - new Metallic Details sets

Homebee

4 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

I doubt they are "recasts" but I can imagine that somebody is still using the original molds and such, whatever the connection is.

Oh, it's Sauerwein, with a U, not W, yeh. Well, I don't think his CE sets are recasts either, because I surmise he might risk incurring in the infringement of legal rights selling them in public, but it's quite puzzling the way the very same CE sets pop up on evilBay from time to time, when you don't see them available anywhere else.

My theory is that Mr Sauerwein purchased a helluva lot of CE stuff as soon it was learnt that Meteor Productions were to go South.

Wish I had done the same, as there're many CE sets that I want now that I saw on the Meteor Productions page once they had ended casting their sets (the 1/48 B-29 Silverplate set springs into mind right now).

Cheers,

Unc2  

On 30/10/2019 at 17:24, Nocoolname said:

Would really like to do one of these as Francis 'Gary' Powers' bird but can't seem to find the decals for the life of me. Anyone know who might make these? I had hoped they would be included in the Caracal set. :hmmm:

They where included on a Cutting Edge decal set (CED48149). But it was just serials (red 360) and in different sizes as CE research came to no definite conlusion about the size. So if you get some red "360" decals you should have all you need for this scheme. Accoding to the decal instructions this U-2C had interim intakes, Giant Stride slipper tanks, B-camera system 3 & System 6 sensors and System 3 & 6 antenna. Colour was ANA 607 (FS 35042) over all. No dorsal canoes- "it looked like a U-2A on top".

Hope this helps.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Going forward, might AFV Club include the U-2C windscreen and canopy in the future releases of the U-2A kit?

Edited by SAT69
misspell

21 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Going forward, might AFV Club include the U-2C windscreen and canopy in the future releases of the U-2A kit?

That would imply that the retooled U-2C fuselage halves sprue is provided to match the retooled windscreen.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just received the new release U-2C variant (with ROCAF markings). MUCH better rendition of the forward fuselage and cockpit canopy area so a much more accurate model can now be produced (stand to rivet counters et al). I have only had time to conduct a quick 'fondle' of the plastic but my only gripe so far is the presence of large ejector stubs on the outer surfaces of all of the undercarriage doors.....the mould maker obviously messed up there but other than that, I am very happy with the 'new' kit after the huge disappointment with the first U-2A boxing. I'll be looking to build two of these......most likely projects will be Gary Powers Article 360 and a ROCAF example with the additional avionics hump.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Source: https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=36114

Phase Hangar is planning to release resin U-2A intakes for the 1/48 scale AFV kit correcting the intake shape the kit missed.

The intakes will be offered in both smooth and scribed configurations.
Lockheed U-2A Corrected Air Intakes – 1/48

043.jpg 044.jpg

V.P.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

• 3 months later...
On 9/30/2018 at 12:45 AM, Homebee said:

New Caracal Models decals for the old U-2A/C Hawk/testor kit... Most probably also ok for the new one. 🤔

Source: http://caracalmodels.com/cd48118.html

V.P.

G'day All, I've just added this AFV U-2C kit to my stash. In an old book I have in my reference library, I have a pic that is close to the No. 5 decal/stencil guide for the CIA U-2, only the aircraft in my book is all matt black with only a small matt yellow tail number instead of the larger, white tail number on the decal set's CIA versions, which both appear to be painted dark blue. There are no walkways marked on the wings in my reference photo; the only thing the caption tells me is that this was an early C model U-2 used by the CIA. It has no 'bumps' (a technical term) along the topside of the fuselage. 
Before I commit to doing an all matt black U-2C, is there any kind member out there that could corroborate the livery details that appear in my book? And, if anyone knows, could you please tell me, roughly, the time frame for an "early C model"?.

I thought of emailing the CIA to ask... of course I didn't! 🙄 If anyone could give me a ballpark year when the first C model conversions were done that would be great. My book doesn't mention this time frame.

This is one of the last of a multi-model build me and some ex-RAAF members are doing to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the forming of the RAAF, which falls on the 31st of March this year. We set out to do all the aircraft that were about when we all served. Of course, most of them are RAAF aircraft, apart from 2 very odd RAF B-29s that appeared in the Brits' nuclear test area in the outback near Maralinga.

Then we all heard the same rumour that at least on one night during our period of service; a lone U-2 made a stop over at a certain RAAF base. On the face of it, and the fact that it takes a lot of work and special equipment to get a U-2 off the ground, to say nothing of re-suiting a U-2 pilot, we don't really think this happened. Although, there is a pic of a U-2 that has a small bit of nose-art that says, "The City of Sale". There is a RAAF base at East Sale, Victoria. We've dug around for more details but we can't find facts to back this up. It's just strange. Probably a coincidence but none of us can find a city called 'Sale' in the US or the UK... we could be wrong. If anyone knows the answer to this riddle we'd really appreciate some more details. Cheers, Bill H.

7 hours ago, raafbloke said:

G'day All, I've just added this AFV U-2C kit to my stash. In an old book I have in my reference library, I have a pic that is close to the No. 5 decal/stencil guide for the CIA U-2, only the aircraft in my book is all matt black with only a small matt yellow tail number instead of the larger, white tail number on the decal set's CIA versions, which both appear to be painted dark blue. There are no walkways marked on the wings in my reference photo; the only thing the caption tells me is that this was an early C model U-2 used by the CIA. It has no 'bumps' (a technical term) along the topside of the fuselage. 
Before I commit to doing an all matt black U-2C, is there any kind member out there that could corroborate the livery details that appear in my book? And, if anyone knows, could you please tell me, roughly, the time frame for an "early C model"?.

I thought of emailing the CIA to ask... of course I didn't! 🙄 If anyone could give me a ballpark year when the first C model conversions were done that would be great. My book doesn't mention this time frame.

This is one of the last of a multi-model build me and some ex-RAAF members are doing to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the forming of the RAAF, which falls on the 31st of March this year. We set out to do all the aircraft that were about when we all served. Of course, most of them are RAAF aircraft, apart from 2 very odd RAF B-29s that appeared in the Brits' nuclear test area in the outback near Maralinga.

Then we all heard the same rumour that at least on one night during our period of service; a lone U-2 made a stop over at a certain RAAF base. On the face of it, and the fact that it takes a lot of work and special equipment to get a U-2 off the ground, to say nothing of re-suiting a U-2 pilot, we don't really think this happened. Although, there is a pic of a U-2 that has a small bit of nose-art that says, "The City of Sale". There is a RAAF base at East Sale, Victoria. We've dug around for more details but we can't find facts to back this up. It's just strange. Probably a coincidence but none of us can find a city called 'Sale' in the US or the UK... we could be wrong. If anyone knows the answer to this riddle we'd really appreciate some more details. Cheers, Bill H.

Regarding the Sale U-2 there is this page ..

http://www.adastron.com/lockheed/oddities/U-2.htm

cheers, Jan

• 4 months later...
On 24/01/2021 at 12:45, raafbloke said:

First flight of the U-2C (Article 342) was May 1959, out of Edwards with Ray GOUDEY driving. The upper fuselage fairings started to come in around April 1961. The short fairing contained an SSB tuneable HF radio (one of the post POWERS shoot down recommendations) and was fitted to the A and C. The medium fairing added an Air to Air Refueling receptacle in the front, so that’s the early E and F. Not all the “AFV late model” mods came in simultaneously. The full spine fairing “canoe”, came in from roughly October 1964 (haven’t been able to reference an SB with the exact date). The 150 degree “sugar scoop” (IR exhaust suppressor) was trialed in May 1965. It replaced the 90 degree sugar scoop that came in from around October 1961 in response to a possible IR AAM threat over Cuba. that isn’t in the AFV kit. The phase in of the large “coke-bottle intakes” is a bit hazy for me, but seems to have been around April ‘66+. Initially the rear view mirror was centrally mounted, and that was probably the case with 360/ POWERS. There’s other differences between reality and AFV Club. Biggest four (apart from shape discussions) are probably:

Single under nose pitot head not dual.

Different UHF aerial under the cockpit.

CIA aeroplanes rarely had navigation lights and/or anti-collision beacons. If they did, the circuit breakers were pulled for overflights.

The white canopy sunshade is actually inside the transparency, so AFV’s obviously raised sunshade is completely wrong. Can someone release an after market canopy?

For a CIA U-2C, the colours were: 

Matte non-spectacular sea blue from the summer of 1958. This is the matte version of the USN’s single colour blue WWII pacific war scheme, but it’s bizarre how many period eye-witnesses refer to it as “black”. Initially no walk-ways. Speedbrake inners were NMF. From about October 1960 the cover story was changed, walkways re-appeared together with white N8##X “ferry flight” tail numbers. The Black Cats had white numbers.

From around October 1965 the CIA began re-painting to “Black Velvet” with no walkways and retaining white tail numbers, which subsequently shrunk. The speedbrake interiors were also black. The Black Cats went to red numbers, like the USAF. Some time after around June 1968 canopy sunshades went black.

As mentioned above “City of Sale” was a bit of PR, painted on before hard nose USAF 56-6718 deployed down to Oz for the first time for “CROWFLIGHT VII” - round 7 of the Armed Forces Special Weapons Project’s High Altitude Sampling Program. The U-2’s rep had already caused basing problems elsewhere and it was part of smooching up to the Aussies - who seem to have subsequently “zapped” all visiting U-2s with red kangaroos.

Hope that’s of some use.

Edited by Tanage
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 02/06/2021 at 14:40, Tanage said:

The white canopy sunshade is actually inside the transparency, so AFV’s obviously raised sunshade is completely wrong. Can someone release an after market canopy?

Well... Not sure, really. It may be not as much pronounced as it is in AFV kit, but definitely there's some outer layer, and it's definitely too thick to be just a layer of paint.

u-2c_10_of_34.jpg

Edited by koho
  • Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Lockheed U-2A/C & D Dragon Lady by AFV-Club - U-2A, U-2C & U-2D released - new Metallic Details sets

Two Metallic Details dedicated resin sets

- ref. MDR48156 - Lockheed U-2A/C - Air brakes

http://metdetails.com/catalog/metalic-details/aircraft/148/mdr48156-u-2ac-air-brakes

1-415.jpg

- ref. MDR48158 - Lockheed U-2A/C - Landing gears

http://metdetails.com/catalog/metalic-details/aircraft/148/mdr48158-u-2ac-landing-gears

1-417.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A shameless advertisement 😁 for my booklet about the external differences of the small wing U'2s, that may interest some of you here.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235097053-v12-is-out-the-many-guises-of-the-dragon-lady-a-tentative-guide-to-external-differences-of-small-wings-u-2s/

Edited by kekelekou
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1