1/48 - Lockheed U-2A/C & D Dragon Lady by AFV-Club - U-2A, U-2C & U-2D released - new Metallic Details sets

Homebee

43 minutes ago, Filler said:

(...)

Joking aside, I thought AFV were supposed to be really good (in the context of aircraft at least). Wasn't their F-5 series heralded for accuracy and detail?

At least that is what I thought as well... :-(

A pity - the pics of the build kit show a nice looking model but the shape...

12 hours ago, B.sin said:

Think, what to do!

Ask yourself - will it really be a problem if I buy & build the kit?

Where will you display it?

Will anyone else who sees the model laugh and point out the errors or, more commonly, say "mmmh, nice plane, what is it?".

Can you live with the errors?

A few months after its completion, will you really care about the errors or even remember what they are?

Jeff

• Like 12

19 minutes ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Ask yourself - will it really be a problem if I buy & build the kit?

Where will you display it?

Will anyone else who sees the model laugh and point out the errors or, more commonly, say "mmmh, nice plane, what is it?".

Can you live with the errors?

A few months after its completion, will you really care about the errors or even remember what they are?

Jeff

Or, you can wait 6 months, till after market comes out with some corrections.

1 minute ago, B.sin said:

Or, you can wait 6 months, till after market comes out with some corrections.

Not sure there would be much of the kit left. It would practically be a resin kit by the time you'd finished. It'd be a very expensive decal sheet from AFV in a large box.

I should mention that it's not a subject that interests me enough to add to my collection, so I don't have a decision to make. I'm more interested by the fact that a company who have shown previously that they can produce more than adequately accurate kits and with the technology and references available today can have produced something with so many shape errors. It's not like there's just one feature that is noticeably misshaped, but about six.

I generally subscribe to the philosophy that Jeff has described above, but sometimes when you know there are many issues it's hard to ignore  them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

I like being told about errors so I can make my mind up about buying a kit.

Jeff

Me too. I definitely would have bought this were it what I consider to be a decent representation. I personally feel the shapes are way too off for me to consider a purchase.

Jon

On 04/12/2018 at 22:04, Homebee said:

Canopy, windscreen, air intakes, exhaust tail cone, top of tailplane etc. are definitely off. 

V.P.

Are the wing tips on the model too big?

• 2 weeks later...

Blimey, AFV have actually posted photos that clearly endorse opinions that they've got the canopy shape noticeably wrong whilst dismissing the claims. Pig headed? Guess it's way too late anyway as it's on the shelves now. I'd quite like to see their defence of the other half a dozen areas that can be seen to be incorrect at a casual glance.

• Like 2

My constructive comment would be to retool the fuselage from the wing l/e area fwd. And evaluate wether the exhaust section and wing flaps area need to be corrected as well. 

But as I consider AFV's question to be rerhoric, it doesn't matter. 

• 4 weeks later...

This is the old Hawk U-2A kit in 1/48.  I like the shape but criticism is welcome, especially with regard to shape.

0181u-2.jpg0081u-2.jpg

Edited by jeaton01
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/02/2019 at 20:00, TimB said:

A cross kitting opportunity??

Hard to tell without the kit in hands. I guess there will be lots of dry fitting involved. On the other hand the same is true for aftermarket resin sets and this kit will be easier and cheaper to get than the long oop Cutting Edge sets to dress up the old Testors kit.