1/48 - Lockheed U-2A/C & D Dragon Lady by AFV-Club - U-2A, U-2C & U-2D released - new Metallic Details sets

Homebee

On 11/10/2018 at 6:08 AM, Rob de Bie said:

The inlets are quite wrong too. The J57 powered U-2A/D had really small inlets, the kit's captuare area looks biggish. The bulged shape that I see in this view is completely wrong. In fact it should be an almost straight line from the inlet to the first glue joint!

Here's how the Hawk U-2A inlet and inlet duct look like. As you can see, the duct is nearly cilindrical. AFV Club shaped it very differently.

u2-54.jpg

Rob

• Like 1

The 56 year old HAWK kit is far more accurate in shape than the new AFV kit. I would only get the AFV kit to use the detail parts on the HAWK kit. But that would be a very expensive detail set at $70.00+. The landing gear, camera bay, cockpit and Howdah might be worth it if you can find it down the road on the second hand market for a good price.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Or perhaps just provide us with updates for the older but better hawk kit, it would certainly take up a lot less resin!

It would need a re-release of the original Hawk U-2A as they're getting tricky to find now. But using the new kit as a parts donor may be easiest if expensive. However if somebody were to release an accurate kit then they have a price point.....

• Like 1

I was given to understand the U-2A molds were re-cut to make the C so no more A models. I was hoping this release would be a good new A, but my hopes look dashed.

Glad I kept my Hawk kit with all the CE resin now

• Sad 2

17 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Well, it's in the moulding stages now, too late for any corrections. Oh well.

Jeff

Jeff, you never know,  but they probably didn't make any corrections. Very disappointing .

Brad

:analintruder: Monsieur Laurent!

1 hour ago, Laurent said:

This was done using the CAD model as the windscreen+canopy wrapping in the nose is visible here.

That's right. Look at the height of the base of the windshield where it meets the nose. That's WAY too low.

6 hours ago, Homebee said:

46473206.jpg

Strange thing both the windshield AND the intakes seem to look okay on the box art. :hmmm:

Yeh, they do.

Cheers,

Unc2

43 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

:analintruder: Monsieur Laurent!

That's right. Look at the height of the base of the windshield where it meets the nose. That's WAY too low.

Strange thing both the windshield AND the intakes seem to look okay on the box art. :hmmm:

Yeh, they do.

Cheers,

Unc2

That’s what I was thinking, too...

J

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

I know HobbyBoss (or maybe Trumpy) redesigned their Wildcat in response to criticism.

No, they didn't (well, not exactly).  The only reason Trumpeter pulled and re-tooled the Wildcat is because Squadron/MMD, their main US wholesaler at the time, cancelled their orders for the kit.  Squadron saw the kit, realized it wouldn't sell, and told Trumpeter to if they didn't re-work it, they could keep it; Trumpeter decided it was more economical to invest in revisions than to write off the project, so the kit got re-worked.

It's possible that Squadron heard the commotion on sites like Hyperscale and ARC (I forget whether BM existed yet... was that pre- or post-'Malvinas Anniversary'?) and decided to press the issue, but it's a lot more likely that they just had a flood of cancelled pre-orders and realized they'd lose money if they maintained their order with Trumpeter.

I haven't touched a U-2C since 1994, but I think the flap hinges are to replicate BLC or Boundary Layer Control, where bleed air from the engine compressor is fed out over the wings to help increase lift. it is known as a "Blown Flap"

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:01 AM, SleeperService said:

It would need a re-release of the original Hawk U-2A as they're getting tricky to find now. But using the new kit as a parts donor may be easiest if expensive. However if somebody were to release an accurate kit then they have a price point.....

No can do. After Testors acquired the molds from HAWK, the molds were irreversibly altered when they added the spine canoe. Someone did a resin part that would fill the opening after removing the canoe to back convert to an A. Can't remember who though. Cutting Edge did a pretty complete resin set for the HAWK kit. There was a cockpit, front and rear gear wells with landing gear struts and wheels. There may have been other parts as well. If one was so inclined you could shoehorn a F-104 cockpit and bang seat into it. They were similar except for the control column and instrument panel. Others may know more.

If Testors would have been smart they would have made the canoe as a separate piece so there could be different versions made from the kit,. 

Edited by jpk
  • Thanks 1

On 11/24/2018 at 5:39 PM, Winnie said:

I haven't touched a U-2C since 1994, but I think the flap hinges are to replicate BLC or Boundary Layer Control, where bleed air from the engine compressor is fed out over the wings to help increase lift. it is known as a "Blown Flap"

I touched a TR-1A only once at an airshow, but with regards to BLC, I've never ever read about that feature for either the U-2A/C nor the U-2R / TR-1.

Rob

I'm certainly not a rivet counter and can live with some inaccuracies, but in this case I think I'll wait for the Hasegawa egg plane U-2 for a more faithful rendition.

Joking aside, I thought AFV were supposed to be really good (in the context of aircraft at least). Wasn't their F-5 series heralded for accuracy and detail?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1