1:48 C-45F

Sorry about the mishap - I have been following this thread with interest.

These decals are sold out. I am not going to reprint this sheet any time soon; which means that Hannants will unfortunately never take delivery of their back-order. I strongly recommend buying one from the various Ebay sellers who still have it in stock.

If you can't find one, please send me an e-mail (info AT caracalmodels.com) and I will try and sell you one from my personal stash. Good luck with the rest of the build.

Edited by CaracalModels

18 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Thats a real shame about the decals John.

Your build and paint job are superb and are really tempting me to get one of these kits, the chipping on the props looks very good.

Craig.

its quite a strange kit, the undercarriage is a nightmare, the engines are very plain however the seats are really good and the overall fit is reasonable. I'm not sure that I'll build another one, there are too many other aircraft I'd like to build first, but its been a fun build.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

17 hours ago, CaracalModels said:

Sorry about the mishap - I have been following this thread with interest.

These decals are sold out. I am not going to reprint this sheet any time soon; which means that Hannants will unfortunately never take delivery of their back-order. I strongly recommend buying one from the various Ebay sellers who still have it in stock.

If you can't find one, please send me an e-mail (info AT caracalmodels.com) and I will try and sell you one from my personal stash. Good luck with the rest of the build.

thank you for the offer however I've decided to 'paint' the yellow and blue stripes and leave the MATS off as I want to get this finished asap.

I'd also like to thank you for a wonderful product, the mishap was purely of my own making, and when I next require alternative decals yours is the first range I'll look for.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

31244139438_729750a809_o.jpg

I’d knocked off the two ariels that are moulded onto the fuselage however I wasn’t too bothered as I wanted to represent a more modern style of antenna.

45068805322_5a5206e020_o.jpg

45068804932_f9bbccbdb0_o.jpg

This was painted white and nailed to the top of the fuselage, it isn’t meant to be 100% accurate, its just a representation of an early 1960s type antenna.

44244916685_acf65a9fd5_o.jpg

43343315630_a67ae03776_o.jpg

43343315460_54d45261b7_o.jpg

I’d also knocked off the lower antenna, and to ‘rub salt into the wound’ the carpet monster ate it so, I fashioned a replacement out of some stretched sprue…

43343315930_83b86dc24d_o.jpg

The excellent Montex masks were removed and much to my surprise I didn’t leave any of the internal ones on! You really can't see much of the interior, such a shame that they’ve put so much work into the seats.

43343315130_5b502be03a_o.jpg

I pieced together the rear landing gear, this was incredibly fragile and broke into at least 5 parts! and fitted it onto the airframe. I’m not sure how strong it will be in the long run?

43343315750_1b0434a492_o.jpg

After stuffing-up the tail decals I painted them using Alkan BS:356 yellow and vallejo 71.087 steel blue.

45178618051_676f3269c9_o.jpg

Next I’ll wait for every thing to dry, fix the tail(s) on and then take some ‘reveal’ photos.

until next time

as always, any suggestions or comments will be gratefully received.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 2

Looking good John despite the small set back. I have had that happen once or twice where despite sealing, the decals get pulled away. Obviously it's fixable and probably even preventable with correct seal etc, but I now just don't do it!

Looking forward to the final reveal.

Terry

Hi John 

Looks great. Shame  about the mishap with the decals but, you have recovered the tail planes well.  Great job. I am apprehensive about masking over the decals on my Superfreighter.  I have given them a couple of coats of Klear about a week ago so fingers crossed. 

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

20 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Looking good John despite the small set back. I have had that happen once or twice where despite sealing, the decals get pulled away. Obviously it's fixable and probably even preventable with correct seal etc, but I now just don't do it!

Looking forward to the final reveal.

Terry

thanks Terry

that'll teach me to be patient, I had a quick look for some post-it notes to use for a mask, they weren't in the first place I looked so I used masking tape, never mind

13 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi John 

Looks great. Shame  about the mishap with the decals but, you have recovered the tail planes well.  Great job. I am apprehensive about masking over the decals on my Superfreighter.  I have given them a couple of coats of Klear about a week ago so fingers crossed. 

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

thanks Chris

I should (do) know better, my dog learnt some knew swear words!

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Haha 2

So pleased to see another one of these great little planes being done!

You're right about the odd priorities of the kit designer.

Obviously a furniture enthusiast!

And yet Walter Beech's neat and elegant solution for the tailplane control surfaces are represented by slabs of plastic.

And the prop fixings....?

But still an enjoyable build, and a great looking result.

Mine introduced me to the world of classic commercial Airlines.... Don't laugh, but I finished mine in KLM décor, taken from the Italieri 1/72 DC 3 sheet. Don't bother searching- KLM never had one.

I just love the look!

One thing I did right at the start was to carve all the antenna pieces out of the starboard fuselage edge, label them and put them away for later.

Congrats on your lovely result