Mitchell in Burma! 1/72 Airfix B-25C Mitchell Mk.II

9 hours ago, Habu12 said:

Good to know on the fairings. Makes sense tmsicen they had counterroating props. 

I don't think any variant of the B-25 had counter rotating props, nor did any of the WW2 USAAF twin-engine attack/bomber aircraft. The P-38 and XP-82 were the only two WW2 twin-engine designs that did, IIRC.

Mike

• Like 2

On 9/7/2018 at 9:19 AM, 72modeler said:

I don't think any variant of the B-25 had counter rotating props, nor did any of the WW2 USAAF twin-engine attack/bomber aircraft. The P-38 and XP-82 were the only two WW2 twin-engine designs that did, IIRC.

Mike

I think you’re right. In which case, the airflow is still different on each side.

5 hours ago, Habu12 said:

I think you’re right. In which case, the airflow is still different on each side.

Which might explain why the A/B-26 Invader, which also had wing-mounted oil coolers, had the outlets on the underside of each wing. The A-20's oil coolers were mounted in the engine nacelles on the inboard side of each one, with the outlets at the end of each nacelle. (I'll take aircraft oil cooler trivia for five hundred, Alex!)

Mike

• Like 1

I can't think of any other significant asymmetry, but remain unconvinced by the explanation. However if it is right then it would be even more true for the underside as on the A-26, given  that there is more of the prop disc visible under the wing.  There must however be a good reason...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Just pushed the button on one of these kits (Amazon doing an irresistible special) and I fancy this scheme over OD, mind if I asked how you did the dorsal dome @Habu12 and @tonyot? (Super builds both!) Cheers

Edited by TonyOD

3 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Just pushed the button on one of these kits (Amazon doing an irresistible special) and I fancy this scheme over OD, mind if I asked how you did the dorsal dome @Habu12 and @tonyot? (Super builds both!) Cheers

Here are the two that I built;

And the WIP;

The short answer is that I used a vcuformed Martin dorsal turret from a vacuformed B-24 set,..... but I reduced the size of the cupola opening! Don`t forget the camera ports either,

Good luck,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @tonyot I'll have a look through your WIP before I take mine on, I'm sure I'll be able to learn a lot.

I think that Perspex dome will be beyond my modest skills! Still, I found out last night that the Mk II kit and the B-25C/D kit are the same plastic (because they were the same plane) so if I do decide not to go with OD there are many USAAF options out there as aftermarket decals in desert schemes, camo, all-silver, so I have options I guess.

• Like 1