Mitchell in Burma! 1/72 Airfix B-25C Mitchell Mk.II

My comment has nothing to do with your fine work shown here.

This is the third Airfix Mitchell that I've seen so far and I'm still standing by my opinnion that it's nowhere near as nice and delicate as the older Hasegawa's kit.

And that's sadly a common trait with all new Airfix kits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Josip said:

This is the third Airfix Mitchell that I've seen so far and I'm still standing by my opinnion that it's nowhere near as nice and delicate as the older Hasegawa's kit.

Having built a number of Airfix and Hasegawa B-25`s recently in the B-25 Mitchell GB I have to say that I was very impressed indeed by the Airfix kit and thought that it was a notch higher than the Hasegawa kit,..... which is still a very good kit. I`me very grateful for the opportunity to build an early version at last which is head and shoulders above the old Italeri kit.

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Josip said:

The Hase kit slightly edges it out. But Hase doesn’t do an early Mitchell. Now if their Kate’s releases, yes this isn’t the best one, but it’s still very good, and far better than the misstep kits like the P-40B and Victor. 

Habu,

A very nice build and mods to make this version- very handsome in the PRU blue, as well. The Airfix kit has it's faults, but they are minor compared to the fact that nobody else does a better early version, and it is well detailed. Hasegawa missed a golden opportunity and thank goodness the Hornsby crew capitalized on it!

BTW, does anybody out there know why the oil cooler outlets on the RH wing had streamlined fairings and the LH ones don't? I have looked and looked, and have never found anything that explains this. Even the William Wolf B-25 book fails to make any mention of it.

Mike

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Habu,

A very nice build and mods to make this version- very handsome in the PRU blue, as well. The Airfix kit has it's faults, but they are minor compared to the fact that nobody else does a better early version, and it is well detailed. Hasegawa missed a golden opportunity and thank goodness the Hornsby crew capitalized on it!

BTW, does anybody out there know why the oil cooler outlets on the RH wing had streamlined fairings and the LH ones don't? I have looked and looked, and have never found anything that explains this. Even the William Wolf B-25 book fails to make any mention of it.

Mike

That's a very good question. I haven't found an answer, either, but I did see plenty of pics of those fairings in place. Guess it was just an individual choice?

Fantastic B-25!  I'm really enjoying the colour and markings - not so often seen (by me at least).

I don't have the Airfix kit, so I can't really declare whether I prefer it over Hasegawa (one of which I recently completed).

The fact that Airfix's is the earlier version does sell it to me somewhat, though.

👍

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Habu,

Mike

They were different because of the difference in airflow, one was on the side of a rising prop blade and the other a downward moving blade, and that produces a different airflow over that part of the wing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, jeaton01 said:

They were different because of the difference in airflow, one was on the side of a rising prop blade and the other a downward moving blade, and that produces a different airflow over that part of the wing.

Thank you! The only thing I could think of was some sort of interference in the airflow in/over the oil coolers, but I never could  figure out what that might be or how. I can sleep tonight!

Mike

• Haha 1

The panel lines, clear parts and defensive armament are definitely not in the same class as Hasegawa and that goes for all new Airfix kits. The He-111 being more obvious than B-25.

Still, like its been said, its better than Italeri dinosaur.

• Thanks 1