Scratchbuilt 1/72nd Antoinette-Latham Monobloc of 1911

Another oldie for the pioneer thread,  made twelve years ago.

Talk about "modern", in 1911!! This was to be the future, and almost nobody saw it. Aviation insisted with triplanes and biplanes for decades after.

The Antoinette-Latham Monobloc of 1911 produced a very elegant, retro-futuristic shape that resembles an old refrigerator mated with an ocean liner. 

Essentially another canoe-shaped fuselage flying machine –well, may be not that flying- from the popular Antoinette stables.

Exceptionally clean for the times but not very fortunate, the general configuration had to wait still a very long time to become what we now perceive as the standard, conventional shape for a plane.

What a wasted opportunity to advance aviation by 30 years or so.

I repeat: this was 1911, THREE YEARS BEFORE WWI. Compare it with the typical plane flown after it.

01.jpg

02.jpg

08.jpg

13.jpg

16.jpg

19.jpg

22.jpg

Edited by Moa
  • Like 37

That's amazing, both as a model and as an aircraft. Is that a radiator down the sides of the cockpit?

It doesn't seem to have any control surfaces on the wings. I know it was too underpowered to fly (just Wiki'ed it) but how would it have been controlled if it had got airborne?

Keep them coming – I love all of them.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Gorby said:

That's amazing, both as a model and as an aircraft. Is that a radiator down the sides of the cockpit?

It doesn't seem to have any control surfaces on the wings. I know it was too underpowered to fly (just Wiki'ed it) but how would it have been controlled if it had got airborne?

Keep them coming – I love all of them.

Hi Gorby (I will lend no ears to the other names you have been called 😉

Yes, those were radiators, same position in the -also posted- Antoinette and other period planes.

No ailerons indeed. I made this long ago (and too many after it) so I don't recall details.

May be roll was obtained with the power of the mind? Moustache twisting?

The wings are relative thick, perhaps a dog was made to run inside from one wing to the other pursuing a bone tied to a wire?

We know than in many machines flexing (warping) the wings was the way, but these wings look rigid.

Will have a look and if I find something will post it here.

Cheers

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Moa said:

Will have a look and if I find something will post it here.

Cheers

HI Gorby

I have read all the material I have available, and for what I can surmise and deduct, it seems that stability was expected to be obtained only by the dihedral, having only rudder and elevator control.

Edited by Moa
  • Thanks 1

What an attractive, art noveau-styled sculpture! And forward-thinking, as you point out.

In fact, the 1948 Swedish swept wing jet fighter, the J 29 'Flying Barrel', allegedly could be adequately controlled using just elevator and side rudder. But perhaps not in the take off phase…

Beautiful modelling, as usual!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

Ah ha.  There it is.  Another beautiful model of a fascinating aircraft. I wonder how it would have fared if it had been given a 120hp engine.   It rather reminds me of the aeroplanes you see in the film Metropolis.  Very fitting that it appeared during the early days of Art Deco.  

• Like 1