Vuia I 1906, Modelism International 1/72 photoetched (and scratch)

The Vuia I, another machine of the pioneer period from Rumania, built -as the rest of this series- some time ago.

Hope fellow BModellers are enjoying this "pioneers" thread.

A kit sold at a Romanian museum were the replica is, that has its shortcomings too, thus requiring replacements and scrathbuilding to render a decent result.

The flying surfaces, as presented in the kit, are not realistic at all and were replaced; besides the wing being not totally accurate. Some photoetched items were again not accurate or two bi-dimensional and were replaced too. A "stitching" seam was created using "stitches" from an aftermarket detail set. The wing in the original plane was held in place by two structural members on top of it, and other two under it; the latter absent from the kit.
Bear in mind that this machine was modified a number of times and the kit describes a particular one (although in general and vague terms and not accurately).
So here is yet another pterodactyl

(or Archaeopterix Styrenoides):

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

e.jpg

g.jpg

i.jpg

m.jpg

n.jpg

o.jpg

08.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

On 9/3/2018 at 3:59 PM, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

This is stunning stuff Mr Moa - just lovely. Can I ask - is the rigging made of fine rolled wire and is the wee chap the gunner from the Airfix Roland Wallfisch kit?

Hi Horatio

To start with let me congratulate you on your last name 😉

Yes indeed, rolled (to straighten it) stainless steel thin wire. These fragile contraptions don't tolerate stretched monofilament, my other rigging method. And I believe you are right regarding the chap, but some time has transcurred (please notice the verb I just used to stay in line with your last name) and I am not completely sure, but most likely.

To my inquires, he remained stubbornly silent, as all my 1/72 figures tend to do.

1 minute ago, Moa said:

Hi Horatio

To start with let me congratulate you on your last name 😉

Yes indeed, rolled (to straighten it) stainless steel thin wire. This fragile contraptions don't tolerate stretched monofilament, my other rigging method. And I believe you are right regarding the chap, but some time has transcurred (please notice the verb I just used to stay in line with your last name) and I am not completely sure, but most likely.

To my inquires, he remained stubbornly silent, as all my 1/72 figures tend to do.

Thanks for the information Mr Moa, presumably of flightless Antipodean bird derivation to match the achievements of your wonderful models??

I also use rolled wire for rigging my biplanes - great stuff! I admire your painting skills, no doubt refined through your artistic endeavours - the figures really add that little bit of atmosphere.

Ah, Gruntfuttock! He and his companion Ophelia Molestrangler, were characters in a BBC radio programme from the 1960s called 'Round the Horne' which presented an amazing range of hilarious and risqué skits featuring all manner of crazy character. Horatio would have been delighted with 'transcurred' , and he would raise you with 'farctated' and 'farnarkling', one of which is a real, if ancient, word.

Fun to share silliness!

• Haha 1

I suppose that at some point of the day I'll eventually be to lift my chin off the desk. It's just that every time you post a new model, my jaw drops in amazement. 

You've certainly got a wonderful collection of beautiful aeroplanes. 

• Haha 1

Without wishing to divert this excellent thread with inconsequentials, and in hopes that the Hon. Member from NSW will accept advice from a Victorian of Pommy birth, I am certain that the surname "Gruntfuttock" on the aforementioned radio show was prefaced with the forenames "J. Peasemould".

Rarely could a Sunday roast be consumed until the conclusion of "Round the Horne" or Beyond our Ken" returned the family to respite from the preceding half hour's hilarity.

Moa, another masterful build - another museum piece !

Rog

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, roginoz said:

Without wishing to divert this excellent thread with inconsequentials, and in hopes that the Hon. Member from NSW will accept advice from a Victorian of Pommy birth, I am certain that the surname "Gruntfuttock" on the aforementioned radio show was prefaced with the forenames "J. Peasemould".

Rarely could a Sunday roast be consumed until the conclusion of "Round the Horne" or Beyond our Ken" returned the family to respite from the preceding half hour's hilarity.

Moa, another masterful build - another museum piece !

Rog

Ah Sir, indeed, upon checking the family history ("The Story of British Radio Comedy" or somesuch) I have determined that you are correct. However, J.Peasemould's long lost cousin Horatio, my good self, an explorer of little repute, has lately returned from his explorations up Bullamakanka Creek sans paddle with nowt to report, and is currently occupying his retirement with plastic modelling, with somewhat less skill and panache than the originator of this thread, the erstwhile extinct flightless bird from over the Tasman, Mr. Moa. Methinks the silliness should end here but not before spending a moment's sad contemplation at the disappearance of quality radio comedy!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

disappearance of quality radio comedy!

Don't despair, Mr Gruntfuttock, we still have Just A Minute and I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue so all is not completely lost!  

And Mr Moa, another beauty (that also appeals to my sense of the oddball).

• Like 1

Moa

Came up with various superlatives but as I read down through the thread most of them had been used up! You must have the patience of a saint, some pretty good skill and very steady hands to produce that. Makes a big change from - here's another Spitfire, Hurricane, FW190, Bf109, Mustang or Thunderbolt. Brilliant work and great that you've shared it with us.

• Thanks 1

I've been watching these builds with great interest, and can't say nothing but "hats off". Your work is painstakingly well done, the level of detail is excellent and, of course, the subjects are amazing.

Have you got a crew of well trained spiders helping you...?????

Best regards.

• Thanks 1