1/72 Westland Whirlwind

A late entry from me! I've had very little time this year for modelling but hopefully this month I can get this done. Going for the Westland Whirlwind, always wanted this kit when I was a kid and never got it. This will be built OOB, wheels up and on a stand. Actually the stand is not in the box and will be using a spare from the box of bits, but other than that it's OOB.

whirl2.jpg

Managed to paint the pilot, he's a little smaller than the figures I normally paint but think he came out ok

whirl1.jpg

• Like 8

On 9/4/2018 at 4:57 AM, Lawzer said:

Great start! 👍 And welcome aboard!!

Thanks Lawzer!

So almost finished construction, all pretty straightforward. Except I did glue the nose on upside down but luckily caught that before the glue had fully set, doh! Leaving the props off till then end. Hopefully get the wings on later and give it a coat of primer to see how the seems look.

Cheers

whirl3.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Finished construction, little bit of filler here and there but nothing major.

IMG_0919.jpg

Then onto painting. As you can see the box must  have been in the sun too long or something as the camouflage diagram is none too helpful!

IMG_0970.jpg

But a quick go on the googles and we're off to the races! 

IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

Not my best work but I'm a little out of practice, also using the Humbol paints that came with the kit and I forgot how much I hate spraying Humbrol acrylic. The green is Tamiya as the green pot was just unredeemable sludge. Hopefully get a coat of clear on her and some decals in the next few days.

Cheers

Edited by Misterfriend
  • Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Finished! Not my finest bit of modelling but I thoroughly enjoyed it! Always wanted this kit when I was a nipper and it was a very fun little build. May start doing a few more OOB stress free builds as it's rather good fun!

Cheers for watching

Segan

DSC02673.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Turned out wonderfully well Segan, just how Airfix intended us to display these kits all those years ago. 

Great to see this one in the GB Gallery along with the three other Whirlwind kits. It's still a highly sort after piece of plastic and you've done it proud. 

Cheers and thanks for taking part.. Dave 

• Like 3

On 10/14/2018 at 4:25 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

Turned out wonderfully well Segan, just how Airfix intended us to display these kits all those years ago. 

Great to see this one in the GB Gallery along with the three other Whirlwind kits. It's still a highly sort after piece of plastic and you've done it proud. 

Cheers and thanks for taking part.. Dave 

Thank you Dave and thank you, and congrats, on running such a great group build!

• Like 3