gloster javelin plans

gmsphoto

Hello Graeme!

I have that book too and I'm not overly enthusiastic about the drawings as they are very "basic". Very little details are shown.

You can put FAW.9s in three categories: those converted from FAW.7s, those further modified with aerial refueling capability and finally those both with aerial refueling capability and inner pylons modified to carry fuel tanks. All three versions are slightly different in detail. The most visible details to a modeller are the number and shape of small hatches on top of the starboard intake and the inner pylons.

Check my WIP on Airfix 1/48 scale FAW.9R here for further detailed info:

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 2

The decal placement plans in the Airfix 1/48 kit are probably the best scale plans of the flatiron that have ever been published.  They did the research for the kit, and the drawings match the kit very well.  Probably because they were generated from the CAD files used to create the tooling.

• Like 4

Hello,

maybe someone who owns an Arfix 1/48 Javelin is willing to make some hi-res scans of the plans in the instructions. They would be very helpfull to detail my 1/72 Frog Javelin kit. I even would do it when somebody is lending me the instructions for some days ...

Any help is most welcome.

Regards,

Martin

• Like 2

Good morning Graeme and all,

Here is the Airfix stencil placement guide for the Javelin.

Few notes about the drawing:

- at least some stencils are specific for FAW.4 not for FAW.9

- small square hatches are missing from both sides just in front of wing leading edge

- two ground power sockets are shown when there was only one

- the inner pylons are incorrect for drop tanks

- the small circular hatches for modulator cooling connection and air ventilated suits are missing from the side of the port intake

- the three antennas for "Violet Picture" are missing from the nose

- decide what configuration you wish to model and fill the aerial refueling equipment fitting doors if required

Check my Javelin WIP for further detailed info

resized_3b64cd00-1c37-4ece-8198-8d5c9ce6

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kevin Callahan said:

Awright, someone has to say it. Why, if they have CAD files for the Javelin in 1:48, they couldn't rather easily produce a Javelin in 1:72? We really need one! 

Simples! £/€/$.........

New mould required.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Simples! £/€/$.........

New mould required.

Oh, absolutely. They would incur the costs of cutting metal. But the research and the CAD work is all done. That has to represent an easy win to produce a kit of a type that hasn't been kitted since Heller did it back when dinosaurs walked the earth. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Knowledge that the Airfix 1/48 kit didn't sell well?

Well, it wouldn't being 1/48, now if they'd done it in 1/72, it'd have flown off the the shelves, stands to reason, doesn't it. ;)

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Well, it wouldn't being 1/48, now if they'd done it in 1/72, it'd have flown off the the shelves, stands to reason, doesn't it. ;)

Steve

With all due respect I don't follow your argument or share your optimism.

However, putting the above to one side, that is missing my original point which was the 1/48th kit bombed sales wise and it is that, which is colouring the views of any prospective mainstream manufacturer producing a 1/72 kit.

Thomo.