Curtiss Hawk III, RTAF 1943, scratch conversion from Monogram F11C

JWM

Hi,

This is back one of my archive models from shelvs. I did it in 1978 or 1979 using as base a Monogram kit of Curtiss Hawk F11C. This was one of most serious scratch conversion by me those years, with some non-professional putty (based on chalk) etc. I am still rather happy with it though.  Recently I added EZ riging (no riging was in my original build \at all).  That required then filling of drilled holes and then re-paint and applying new decals. The original ones were too big, all elphants headed left and they were hand painted on plain red decal before applying. However not all were looking OK. Now I used RTAF by Kora for Ki-30.

Here she is:

29516305127_ef81b4ed04_b.jpg

43736812264_1fb068f214_b.jpg42645641090_3142447a58_b.jpg

29516300737_d215094bf6_b.jpg

42645637340_2a097eda04_b.jpg

And here a pair of RTAF Curtiss Hawks: 75 N (was already presented on RFI, it a conversion from Monogram kit P36 A) and Hawk III presenting two styles of Thai national  insignia from years 1942-5:

42645643670_29c7ee3095_b.jpg

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
mispelling corrections
  • Like 18

I tried using the god awful merlin kit to make a RoCAF Hawk III. Went together well enough but there was never any hope of actually mounting the top wing. so a crash scene is being thrown together in my mind. Something along the lines of a destroyed corner of a house, with the hawk crashed into it, and then covered in bushes...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tweener said:

I tried using the god awful merlin kit to make a RoCAF Hawk III. Went together well enough but there was never any hope of actually mounting the top wing. so a crash scene is being thrown together in my mind. Something along the lines of a destroyed corner of a house, with the hawk crashed into it, and then covered in bushes...

I am sorry to hear it - but now there is nice Czech kit of Hawk III... You may take another take :). I keep my fingers crossed for this!

Regards

J-W

Excellent job on the Hawk III conversion. Must have been a nerve-wrecking experience back in 1978! I, too, love restoring my early builds (1/48) with the latest after-market items. Most Monogram oldies make a surprisingly good model when you invest the effort.

• Like 1