1/72 Apollo Lunar Module

This is yet another one of those builds that each time I see an update, I honestly want to go out and buy one! 

This is high up in my list on 'wants' after watching this bug like creature come alive. Really loving this Mike. Oh - and thanks for the additional diagrams, these are most helpful to understand what on Earrth (or should that be the Moon) is going on!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice progress Mike, I only just stumbled upon your thread. I realise I have one of these (I think it is a later boxing) sitting in the box of my part started Saturn V kit which makes me wonder why I did not consider building mine for the this GB. Anyway, it is nice to see you have managed to get one on the bench. Looking forward to the finished model.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 04/10/2018 at 17:01, TonyW said:

Fantastic!

The base looks really good, in fact the whole lot looks really good.

The whole kit and box are so much of the time. Just the job for a Nostalgia Build. 😁

Tony.

Thanks, Tony. I know what you mean, it gets the imagination going and you've just got to add in some extra detail.

On 04/10/2018 at 21:59, Rabbit Leader said:

This is yet another one of those builds that each time I see an update, I honestly want to go out and buy one! 

This is high up in my list on 'wants' after watching this bug like creature come alive. Really loving this Mike. Oh - and thanks for the additional diagrams, these are most helpful to understand what on Earth (or should that be the Moon) is going on!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks, Dave. I could spend hours reading up on the moon landings and I'm looking forward to seeing that film you mentioned. 

On 06/10/2018 at 21:59, Pete in Lincs said:

Nice work so far on this one.

I never did build one back in the day, not sure why.

Probably because it didn't have guns?

Thanks Pete. Me too and for the same reason. This time round, it is definitely 'character building' to stray away from gunned up and bombed up aircraft. Loving it , though.

On 06/10/2018 at 23:34, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice progress Mike, I only just stumbled upon your thread. I realise I have one of these (I think it is a later boxing) sitting in the box of my part started Saturn V kit which makes me wonder why I did not consider building mine for the this GB. Anyway, it is nice to see you have managed to get one on the bench. Looking forward to the finished model.

:thumbsup:

Thanks Ray, keep watching this thread for all the pitfalls - I'll be falling in them all! Seriously though, the kit goes together very well.

On 07/10/2018 at 09:53, BIG X said:

It's looking 'out of this world' I'd love one of these :goodjob:

Thanks Steve. Just think of the diorama you could build.....There are in fact several Airfix kits brought together in a 'set' I saw recently.

I got some flat white spray paint, masked the viewing ports and have made some more progress on the top section below. Some joints need more filling. After that, detail painting.

100_2636

100_2637

100_2638

• Like 9

I’m pretty impressed with the details that are showing up in your photos Mike. I’ve never considered building this kit however you are tempting me big time. As with your other builds this is coming along nicely. Looks like you’ve got a big week ahead so it’s either cutting down on sleep or better still the day job! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 2

On 10/8/2018 at 10:04 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

I’m pretty impressed with the details that are showing up in your photos Mike. I’ve never considered building this kit however you are tempting me big time. As with your other builds this is coming along nicely. Looks like you’ve got a big week ahead so it’s either cutting down on sleep or better still the day job! 

Cheers.. Dave 

It was many many years ago when I built this kit and I remember it went together beautifully and was a real showpiece

• Like 2

Finished the detail painting on the 'take-off' section of the Lunar Module, the Astronauts and the experiment stations and it is finished. All done with a very small brush without masking, which my great friend 'the camera' takes delight in pointing out.

The flag was cut out from the transfer sheet as per the Instructions but the other two decals were stubbornly stuck fast - I maybe went too heavy on the 'decal film' coated over for insurance. The plaque for the Moon's surface was just glued on complete with backing paper but thank goodness the one for the Eagle base section came off the backing eventually.

This kit was indeed great fun to build so thanks again to Heather for 'donating' this classic kit for this build and thanks to all you classic modellers for supporting along the way. Armstrong and Aldrin are out planting the flag...

100_2694

100_2689

100_2667

100_2690

And then they were gone! (and forgot to leave the flag, apparently!)

100_2664

• Like 14

I just love this Mike!

There's at least one build in each GB that usually entices me to open my wallet and buy one. This GB has done that on at least four occasions and now I think I've just found a fifth!! I know this was only recently re-released in a new-ish red box, however there's something really attractive about that original T3 box that makes your model look even more attractive. Top marks all round for a kit that will only generate in popularity as the 50th anniversary gets ever closer. Let's also give @Heather Kay a quick shout for her act of kindness to part with a classic piece of nostalgic plastic. 

Cheers and awesome modelling... Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

Great work mike! 👍

I really like this - another of your builds that makes you think how "explorers" really do risk everything.......

Thanks, Ian. Yes, Imagine being one of those Astronauts being in the cramped conditions with danger just on the other side of those thin steel walls. The whole story of Apollo 11 and the first Moon landing is absolutely fascinating. A good book for my holiday next week! All the best. Mike

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

This has turned out really nicely. Well done!

Many thanks Heather, and thank you again for passing on the kit - your little note is now preserved for posterity! I wonder what will happen when this kit and that note are found 'preserved' in my loft in the future? Anyway, I hope I did it justice - I put myself under some time pressures there so there is, as usual, some bits that could be improved upon. Thanks for this opportunity - it was indeed great fun. All the best. Mike. 

19 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I just love this Mike!

There's at least one build in each GB that usually entices me to open my wallet and buy one. This GB has done that on at least four occasions and now I think I've just found a fifth!! I know this was only recently re-released in a new-ish red box, however there's something really attractive about that original T3 box that makes your model look even more attractive. Top marks all round for a kit that will only generate in popularity as the 50th anniversary gets ever closer. Let's also give @Heather Kay a quick shout for her act of kindness to part with a classic piece of nostalgic plastic. 

Cheers and awesome modelling... Dave

Many thanks again, Dave. Buy away and maybe we'll get that petition together after all to twist Airfix's arm to re-issue this particular kit - I would be surprised if they weren't already on the case. I still have a couple of Ferrero Rocher chocs left so maybe best to just send you the papers since Aus Customs are bound to stop foodstuffs in the post? Heather's the prime candidate for the contents! All the best. Mike

7 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

Great build, and the 'Lunar surface' is very well done.

Many thanks, Mark. I was inspired by others to grab handfuls of paper ash from our stove and sprinkle accordingly! I've entered 'diorama territory', another first. All the best. Mike

• Like 1

Great job Mike, your paper ash moon surface looks fantastic as does the rest of the build. This has rekindled a lot of memories for me, a time when I was coming to the end of my fourth year of secondary school education, and I can remember gathering in the school hall to watch footage of the Apollo 11 mission,. We could not have seen a great deal of it though - no 60 inch flat screens in those days - the school T.V was real state of the art stuff in its day, a large B&W set that was locked in a wooden cabinet and this was elevated on a tubular frame. 

Thanks to you for the memories and to @Heather Kay for giving you the opportunity to build and share this with the rest of us. :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

All done with a very small brush without masking, which my great friend 'the camera' takes delight in pointing out.

I wish that my hand was as steady as yours must have been to produce an such an excellent result such as this - great result, . Pity Airfix did not release it as one of the first Classic kits to coincide with the opening of the film First Man this week,  I much prefer these external extras to the current spate of kits that have detailed interiors that no on ever sees.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bedders said:

Just come to this, and I love it. Will go nicely with your earlier splashdown model too.  Need to do some of this Apollo stuff myself!

Justin

Thanks Justin. However, I can't claim to have done the 'splashdown' as it was someone else. I know the one you mean, it was a Seaking helicopter with re-entry module, I think.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:53, Heather Kay said:

This has turned out really nicely. Well done!

Well Done Mike and a special 'Well Done - Heather' - as Pat has said - you are a star.