1/16 Honda CB450

Handlebars and exhausts on the Honda CB450 together with all the foot operated levers - I tried to angle these as per the instructions but probably went astray on a few of them. Front mudguard is on and I'm sure the Instructions say to mount the struts inside the mudguard but images of the real thing, plus the boxart, show them outside.

I found part 18, actuator mounted on the rear wheel, loose in the box and drilled a hole in my scratch hub to mount that. The headlight and rear light lenses were missing so a piece of Lego was modified for the rear and a suitable button was filed down for the headlight lens. 

I also found a couple of pieces of thick thread in the box so used these as cables to the brake levers on the handlebars. A couple of bits of thinner elastic thread to the actuators on the wheelhubs.

Decals are actually cut outs from the Instructions so number plates on and it is finished.

100_2658

100_2657

100_2656

I'll put more pics in the Gallery tomorrow - it's getting late! Good to see this one finished - very finely moulded and delicate kit.

• Like 10

That's really come out lovely Mike and I'm so glad you managed to add a Motor Bike to this GB.

When you take your Gallery pics, would you mind placing a 'scaled' prop nearby (say tin of Humbrol paint) just so that we can all visualise its overall size.

I woudn't mind building one of these just for something quite different.

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A good go at a difficult kit.

My apologies for not coming in sooner. I had one of these bikes in the late '70's . Its one quirk was the fact it had no valve springs , torsion bars were used instead.

Also you have the carbs on upside down...they were an early CV type and the round pots are the top.

Hopefully you can rectify.

• Thanks 1

That's a good looking model. It's also the first time I've seen one built up. It certainly looks the part.

Airfix had a strange choice of bikes in the range. 

Why they didn't go for one of the big Triumphs or a Norton Commando for instance,  is a mystery to me. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, krow113 said:

A good go at a difficult kit.

My apologies for not coming in sooner. I had one of these bikes in the late '70's . Its one quirk was the fact it had no valve springs , torsion bars were used instead.

Also you have the carbs on upside down...they were an early CV type and the round pots are the top.

Hopefully you can rectify.

Thanks, krow113 - never too late to have a fiddle about with the final details - I managed to reverse the carbs and should have seen that from the Instructions. I'm still convinced though that all the foot pedals and rear foot rests will need some adjustment.

100_2687

• Like 3

She's turned out so well Mike, you should be proud of the kit and equally proud of your modelling talents. As 'artists' we all down play our abilities and are reluctant to blow ones trumpet, but honestly this is up there with the best that this GB has offered. Now I've just seen the Lunar Module in the Gallery and think that you've just set the quality bar even higher! 

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave. 

On 11/10/2018 at 00:04, JOCKNEY said:

Wonderful job Mike

As the owner of a couple of BSA's and a Douglas, I am a bit uncomfortable praising a "Jap" bike, but if you promise not to tell anyone...

Well Done ! ;)

cheers Pat

Ah, you bikers....well, I know a lot more about them after that build. The moulded parts were very crisp - makes you wonder if Airfix took over this mould from someone else - no seams to fill/sand this time! Thanks for your support. All the best. Mike

On 11/10/2018 at 08:29, Rabbit Leader said:

That's really come out lovely Mike and I'm so glad you managed to add a Motor Bike to this GB.

When you take your Gallery pics, would you mind placing a 'scaled' prop nearby (say tin of Humbrol paint) just so that we can all visualise its overall size.

I woudn't mind building one of these just for something quite different.

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave

Many thanks, Dave. I returned to the Honda and did a 'penny shot' Heart in my mouth in case I dropped it. Found the time to reverse the carbs as well. Now that I've built a bike, I'll be more prepared next time - very much worth doing though. All the best. Mike.

On 11/10/2018 at 11:00, nimrod54 said:

Cracking build Mike, it looks very classy in that silver and black scheme.

Many thanks, John - it was Oxford Blue H104 actually - became a favourite after having to do the cheatline on the Comet 4B. The paint was matt so I had to add some Gloss Cote on top at the end. Apparently, the Hondas in black were called 'Black Bombers'. All the best. Mike

23 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Nice!  I like that a lot! 👍

Many thanks, Ian. I wonder what sort of beam would come out of that headlight glass - thank goodness for the button box! All the best. Mike

7 hours ago, TonyW said:

That's a good looking model. It's also the first time I've seen one built up. It certainly looks the part.

Airfix had a strange choice of bikes in the range. 

Why they didn't go for one of the big Triumphs or a Norton Commando for instance,  is a mystery to me. 

Many thanks, Tony. I'm not much use on bikes but Airfix always seemed to choose their kit subjects based on uniqueness or innovation of some sort. Maybe the Honda CB450 ticks one of those boxes. The detailing was excellent and even included chunky tread on the rear tyre and 'radial' on the front! All the best. Mike.

4 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

She's turned out so well Mike, you should be proud of the kit and equally proud of your modelling talents. As 'artists' we all down play our abilities and are reluctant to blow ones trumpet, but honestly this is up there with the best that this GB has offered. Now I've just seen the Lunar Module in the Gallery and think that you've just set the quality bar even higher! 

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave. 

Many thanks for your generous comments, Dave. As you know, the photographs always give you some more to improve upon and this build was no different. With the time pressures, it was really 'get it right first time' so if anything, I am learning not to rely on a final 'touch-up' session where all the bloopers can be painted out.  Oh, for laser sharp eyesight and steady hands when that small piece of plastic is right in front of your nose! Great fun though and gives you a couple more builds in the Gallery to 'book in' All the best. Mike

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 4