1/16 Honda CB450

Well, things are rattling along and I was having a think about possible corners of the wide Airfix range which we haven't covered as yet - I know, Motorbikes.  How about the Honda CB450 from 1968 in a 1978 boxing? - bought specially for this GB and a bit more cost effective that the one Ariel Arrow kit currently for sale on a well known auction website.

100_2485

Here are the sprues - the kit has been ever so slightly started with the engine cylinders glued to the block and one tyre assembled - thankfully comes in under the 25% rule. Paint will be re-done anyway.

100_2486100_2489

I've never built a motorbike kit or even owned a real one so this will be interesting. I can see that the chain drive is broken and there appears to be a 'mystery' seat included. All you bikers out there can give me a few hints on how to really decorate this machine!

• Like 7

Yes a bike - Mike!! 

I think this was the missing piece of Airfix subject matter that we didn't as yet have within this GB. This is a great call to firstly obtain one and secondly decide to push this through with only a few weeks to go. I've not even come close to seeing one of these kits so thanks for showing us your recent classic additions and taking to them so soon after purchase. 

Cheres.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice one. Love the box art too, very period. Never built a bike model myself either. I'm guessing some very thin wire (fuse wire?) etc for the various cables would be a good way to add some detail. The spokes on the wheels look a little heavy, not sure if you could do much with those, given the time left. Probably look ok anyway. Following with interest.

• Thanks 1

I think I built this one back in the day.  It looked so much more like a motorcycle than the weird Ariel.  No wonder the British bike industry went down the kharzi.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Yes a bike - Mike!! 

I think this was the missing piece of Airfix subject matter that we didn't as yet have within this GB.

Thanks, Dave. It looks like a fairly complicated build with many parts to break or lose! Fingers crossed.

13 hours ago, Smudge said:

Nice one. Love the box art too, very period. Never built a bike model myself either. I'm guessing some very thin wire (fuse wire?) etc for the various cables would be a good way to add some detail. The spokes on the wheels look a little heavy, not sure if you could do much with those, given the time left. 

Thanks, Smudge. Looks like you've just added brake cables or even pipes to the build! Not sure about ignition leads though as I'll have to read up on how the engine worked.

13 hours ago, malpaso said:

I think I built this one back in the day.  It looked so much more like a motorcycle than the weird Ariel.  No wonder the British bike industry went down the kharzi.

Let's hope this one still looks like a motorbike once I've finished with it! 

27 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

great addition Mike!!!

Cheers, Ian. All hints and suggestions welcome although no 'aftermarket' such as 'chopper handlebars/forks' are planned!

I'm having a look now at the first section of the Instructions and it shows the engine going together - that's the bit that's been made up already (but part 11 still to go on). The Instructions say that the CB450 had a double overhead camshaft twin cylinder 444cc. engine - was it four stroke? You can see that the drive wheel on the (broken) chain set should go in before closing up the crankcase so it looks like I am going to have to pull the side off before proceeding. Also, the piece above the cylinders (camshafts and valve gear?) looks to be mis-aligned so I'll have a go at straightening that.

100_2500[1]

With the intricacy of the build here, I'm going to have to be thinking about colours and painting as I go along. I think the cylinders should be aluminium with camshaft cover and crankcase in chrome? Also, I hope my terminology is OK as I'm only familiar with car four stroke combustion engines - you bikers need to weigh in with some help!

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 3

A quick run down; yes, it's a 4 stroke. Two strokes don't have valve gear, and used to make a noise like angry wasps in a tin can :D 

The parts in the diagram are: 1 and 2 are the cylinder head with 3 and 4 being the cylinder block. Both start life as plain dull grey metal. 2 minutes on UK roads generally give them a lovely white bloom that's near impossible to shift. 5 is the camshaft/valve gear box and would usually be the same colour. 6, 8, 9 and 10 are where the crank shaft, clutch (the bulge at the front of 8 looks like the clutch cover) and gear box live. Top and bottom would be the same bare metal as the cylinders. the sides were often chromed or laquered. Part 7 is the drive chain and sprockets. The chain should be dark metal on the outside edges (gunmetal would look about right) with the rollers in polished metal. The sprockets would be the same - dull dark metal except for the edges of the teeth where they get polished by interaction with the chain.

Andy

Reliving a misspent youth

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

A quick run down; yes, it's a 4 stroke. Two strokes don't have valve gear, and used to make a noise like angry wasps in a tin can :D 

The parts in the diagram are: 1 and 2 are the cylinder head with 3 and 4 being the cylinder block. Both start life as plain dull grey metal. 2 minutes on UK roads generally give them a lovely white bloom that's near impossible to shift. 5 is the camshaft/valve gear box and would usually be the same colour. 6, 8, 9 and 10 are where the crank shaft, clutch (the bulge at the front of 8 looks like the clutch cover) and gear box live. Top and bottom would be the same bare metal as the cylinders. the sides were often chromed or laquered. Part 7 is the drive chain and sprockets. The chain should be dark metal on the outside edges (gunmetal would look about right) with the rollers in polished metal. The sprockets would be the same - dull dark metal except for the edges of the teeth where they get polished by interaction with the chain.

Andy

Reliving a misspent youth

Andy, many thanks for all your detailed info - from what you say, it looks like the kit has been engineering to allow painting in the correct colours. I'll let you know how I get on masking the sprocket teeth and chain rollers! Stand by for the frame and forks etc. A bit of planning ahead should keep me right. Cheers. Mike.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Motorbike and sidecar no less! Is it 1/72 scale or smaller?

Actually it is the Tamiya 1/48 BMW - I was a little shocked at how small it was - considering it came in such a massive box - I believe you can get it in 1/72 though - Zvezda do it I think...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to move the Honda CB450 on a bit. I dis-assembled the engine and cleaned up the joints and pulled out all the parts for sections 1-5 on the Instructions. However, parts 17 and 18 are missing - 17 seems to be a key part as it has the rear wheel spindle which mounts to the frame both sides. I'm frantically seeing if I can get some 'spares' but I may have to just make something to progress the build.

100_2508

I've had several goes at repairing the break in the chain but the plastic is under a bit of tension and when I let go, it moves. Tried to pack it out with blutac and got a result of sorts.

Engine has been painted in 'aluminium' and I'll give it a dry brush with white when it's dry to try to create the 'bloom' mentioned above by Andy (Foxbat). Chain set has been painted in 'gunmetal' and I'll touch in the bright chain and teeth with 'chrome'. Engine side covers, stand and wheels are in spray can 'chrome' and while the can was out, I did the mudguards. I'm doing the frame in 'oxford blue' rather than black.

The tyres are in 'anthracite' which I find to be a good representation of tyre rubber but have sink marks and need filling.

100_2509

Hopefully, there won't be any more bits missing but best to check now.

• Like 5

That's looking great, I like your choice of colours. Good work on the metallics too - that always gave me nightmares in the days when I built bikes. I was grateful when I moved onto ones with painted engines and panels with everything hidden behind a great big fairing :)

Those missing parts are the outside plate of the drum brake and the actuating arm.  Bodging replacements would be in the grand tradition of 1:1 owners of a certain age :innocent:

Andy

Excused tools

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I've managed to get a decent bit of progress on the Honda CB450 with the engine block put back together with the carburettors attached and painted in Aluminium - I've dry-brushed with white to give the 'bloom' that comes with running it as suggested by Andy (Foxbat). The side plates are in chrome. The chain is repaired (maybe a further bit of sanding required) and painted in gunmetal with a touch of chrome on the links and gear wearing surfaces.

100_2521

100_2523

The sink marks in the front tyre have been filled and painted. Most parts will have some chrome on them so I gave everything (except the saddle) a spray of Tamiya grey primer and then spray-can chrome. I've made up a centre for one side of the rear wheel where the part was missing - from reversing a Mitsubishi 'Dinah' main wheel plus hub centre - and a brass pin trimmed to size will do for the spindle. I left the stand in chrome but painted on the 'rubber feet' in black.

100_2520

I've picked out another few parts such as the front forks, rear shocks, petrol tank surround and headlight which will be Oxford Blue to match the frame and the first coat is drying. The next part to be identified as missing is the headlight lens! I'm on the hunt for something suitable.

100_2525

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Nice!!!

I've always kinda fancied doing a bike but maybe some day I'll get round to it.....

This is definitely different, Ian. The Instructions show 77 parts to the kit and it looks like once you have painted most of the bits on the 'trees', the kit will fly together quickly. These missing parts are slowing me down! I won't be able to get the headlight and tail lights shining on this model so will just have to settle for the front forks swivelling and the wheels turning as the 'working features'!

• Like 1

Wheels and tyres are together now and the main frame started to be assembled. The Instructions seem to show you wrestling in the engine and rear wheel while putting the frame together but I've worked out I can build the rear frame then slip the engine in from the front before finishing off with the front frame and forks. Putting in the vertical piece of frame which supports the stand helps greatly to steady it all together. Another coat of Oxford Blue everywhere I can and a coat of gloss varnish will be required to finish off. Did a bit of detail painting on the fuel tank sides. There is actually a square peg on the front wheel where the front forks locate so looks like spinning wheels are not on the menu!

100_2565

• Like 7

Engine now mounted into the frame - not really a positive fit and it is the rear wheel spindle that is holding it all together. There is a small flat section on the back of the engine which butts up to the vertical frame member so that looked the best place for a blob of cement. No real clues in the Instructions.

I put on some side pieces on the frame (don't know what they are but might be the engine electrics / fusebox etc.). It all sits quite nicely on the stand.

100_2619

Front mudguard and numberplate mounted to the front forks. Front wheel is just placed in the front forks at the moment but I think I said before that there is a square peg as one of the spindles so no chance of it being able to rotate.

Front frame goes on next then I'll be able to mount the fuel tank, which has had the sides installed - including picking up a gluey thumbprint!

100_2618

• Like 6

Coming along nicely Mike, those instructions look quite clear although this build looks like it may take some head scratching to actually put together. You're doing a grand job all the same so its nice seeing this one taking shape. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 04/10/2018 at 21:30, Rabbit Leader said:

Coming along nicely Mike, those instructions look quite clear although this build looks like it may take some head scratching to actually put together. You're doing a grand job all the same so its nice seeing this one taking shape. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks, Dave, and more 'back seat' progress courtesy of a supermarket car park this time.

This kit is very delicate in the hands and I think it is the cement not setting quickly where there is paint. Also, the chrome paint keeps coming off on my fingers when I get too enthusiastic with the cement. Anyway, the fuel tank and seat are on, together with the rear shocks and mudguard. Front forks are on and I've paused on the front mudguard because both the struts broke coming off the sprue so are lying to one side with cement drying. At least it is up on both wheels now with the stand doing a grand job. Seat to adjust downwards at the back and loads of paint touch ups required. Handlebars and exhaust pipes next.

100_2640

100_2639

• Like 6

Looking great Mike. I find lacquer silver paints tend to withstand more handling that other types of paint mediums, they are really quite robust. Applying them may cause some odour issues, but who cares when it’s all in the aid of building model kits! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1