Captured P-51D

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but there's still plenty of time. I'll do one of the captured P-51D's the Luftwaffe got their hands on. Pictures of them are rare, but I will do this one, in what is probably dark green over yellow with oversized markings. 

1NLwypB.jpg

0bl1A3x.jpg

• Like 6

I got some paint on the interior this morning then when dry, I picked out some details tonight then started the construction. Not bad the fit, could have perhaps taken a little plastic off the sides of the interior parts as I ended up with a small gap in the tail, but that is easy fixed. I really do like the plastic Airfix are using, it glues nicely and scribes well. 

AlM8Ljv.jpg

jbLdI2G.jpg

GJi5dM3.jpg

ZBEwxvQ.jpg

• Like 2

Ok, painting, the fun part! I've painted the gear bays green, those are masked. I put a thin layer of matt white on then Gunze RLM 04 yellow...and why does yellow get EVERYWHERE. It looks like I slaughtered Big Bird at my desk now! Anyways I will let this dry good and proper before masking.

hDpTpuj.jpg?1

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Alright, some Sunday work. Yellow all masked up, ready to paint RLM 71 Dark Green,

6HsPQWO.jpg

Super, only had a couple of bits to touch up.

7YLLep7.jpg

Gloss and wheels on. 

GQCvefd.jpg

Decals going on from the spares box. Had to dig deep for some Swastikas as I've just about run out. Just the canopy left to muck around with, some weathering and matt.

L34yScM.jpg

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:21 AM, Brad said:

More bits added, plus I'm just waiting for the gear legs, doors and the silver on the joints to dry before I can do some polishing and further construction.

Looks good Brad!

Can I ask why you used silver on the joints?

Cheers

Mike

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Looks good Brad!

Can I ask why you used silver on the joints?

Cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike. I use silver over the joins to check for unfilled seams or file/sandpaper scratches. Silver shows up every little fault.

• Like 1