1/24 Revell - Bell 'Huey' Gunship

Once again my photography skills probably let me down, for my next project I'm definitely making a booth of some description! 

This was just a quick build after reading Robert Mason's Chickenhawk book, so I thought I would build a Huey after it sparked my interest. It's a big ol' beast, won't fit in my cabinet, not sure what to do with it now 🤔 

I decided to paint the shark mouth rather than using the kit decals, think it turned out ok. Couple of mistakes here and there, and some silvering of the decals which has annoyed me, the Revell ones seem really thick and impenetrable to any kind of softener, so beware if anyone is reading, you need an ultra glossy coat to apply them to, I used two coats of Klear but obviously wasn't glossy enough. 

Fit is ok, not great, plenty of sanding required on the seams but comes together in the end, main colour is Tamiya Olive Drab XF-62. My heavy handed approach managed to break the skids as well....don't ask....I patched them up though....I did want it to look a bit beat up and 'used'! Happy with how it turned out in the end.

44443217601_d93411dfed_b.jpg

44443219271_c6fef90ec1_b.jpg

44443218821_76478a7529_b.jpg

43534197205_aa135fbc44_b.jpg

44443218141_75bff84226_b.jpg

30574126048_f92968445e_b.jpg

43534195735_410911bb45_b.jpg

• Like 23

23 minutes ago, Mr B said:

Looks good

dig the size. Had this kit twice in the stash and both times sold it on.....now it makes me think I made two wrong decisions.

rgds

When you open the box, the kit looks very 'toy' like, especially the scale pilots (which I left out), but it's a fun build due to the sheer size of the thing! I did open up the engine vents and installed some mesh so you could see a bit of engine detail, but apart from that, everything else is straight from the box, builds into a nice model, and due to the size of it, you could REALLY go to town adding scratch built detail if you wanted to.

2 hours ago, Gary29 said:

When you open the box, the kit looks very 'toy' like, especially the scale pilots (which I left out), but it's a fun build due to the sheer size of the thing! I did open up the engine vents and installed some mesh so you could see a bit of engine detail, but apart from that, everything else is straight from the box, builds into a nice model, and due to the size of it, you could REALLY go to town adding scratch built detail if you wanted to.

Cheers mate

yes, i like wht u did with the vents overall very pleasing to the eye. I might just try and resource one. The local hobby shop brings in Revell on time to time...might just have a word and see

rgds

Great build of the ubiquitous Huey!

I'm also a fan of Robert Mason's – Chickenhawk is one of the most profound and forceful war biographies I've read. Once scene that's etched in my memory is the one where they would park the Hueys in shallow water in the river and have local kids wash out the blood and gore after casevac flights…

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Sad 1

Fantastic Huey, that must take up some real estate on your display shelves!

On the subject of Robert Mason; Having worked in Rotary aviation, with a number of Vietnam vets, I can tell you that he's not popular amongst his peers. Most of the stories in the book are episodes that happened to other Huey drivers...he simply constructed the book using other crew's tales for the most part, and become the default spokesman to the media on the subject. Raising this subject around former crew is a sure-fire way to hear some colourful language, I can assure you!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AeroNautique said:

On the subject of Robert Mason; Having worked in Rotary aviation, with a number of Vietnam vets, I can tell you that he's not popular amongst his peers. Most of the stories in the book are episodes that happened to other Huey drivers...he simply constructed the book using other crew's tales for the most part, and become the default spokesman to the media on the subject. Raising this subject around former crew is a sure-fire way to hear some colourful language, I can assure you!

The fact he got arrested for drug smuggling suggests his moral compass may be slightly off as well, there are always two sides to a story aren't there.